News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:19:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Staris build thread  (Read 8232 times)

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Staris build thread
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:11:33 AM »
In the middle of the spring semester, I got the urge to want to start building something. My friend, now roommate is scratch building a turbine powered F-16 and that's what gave me the idea to build a new stuntship. I decided I would put together a Randy Smith Staris since it's a fairly small airplane and can fit in my car. Power for this new plane will be a PA 51 on a pipe. My target goal is to keep the plane around 55 ounces ready to fly.

I'm using Bob Hunt's lost foam wing jig after seeing how well it went together for my Thundergazer. I'm also trying out his new fully sheeted wing system as well.

So far I have a flap tapered and sanded, one cut, the rudder built, fuselage framed up and the ribs cut and sanded. Building this will probably be slow going trying to balance it between schoolwork and flying.
Matt Colan

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Staris build thread
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 05:50:37 PM »
Looking good!  I bet that house beats a dorm room for building!
Steve

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:37:13 PM »
Looking good!  I bet that house beats a dorm room for building!

That picture was taken last semester in the dorm.  Right now I'm building off the kitchen table because it's too hot to go in the garage to build.  My roommate and I built three workbenches for us to use when it cools down here in Florida
Matt Colan

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 06:39:16 PM »
I built the stab over the weekend. It came out  a couple 10ths heavier than I wanted but I'll be able to live with it.

I spent the day up at Jacksonville flying so I'll post a pic of the completed stab sometime later on during the week. I'll be getting started on the wing this week as well.
Matt Colan

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 06:46:54 PM »
Here's a couple pictures of the stab. I ordered the controls from Tom Morris so I should have them in the mail by the end of the week. I'm also hoping to have the wing framed up by the end of the week.

I'm also including a picture of my roommate and I's garage/workshop. Not to many college students have this kind of setup in their house and having the time to be able to use it  ;D
Matt Colan

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 09:56:32 PM »
Dude, that workshop is waaay to clean, get in there and make some dust!

You can sleep when you're dead!
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 10:04:22 PM »
Dude, that workshop is waaay to clean, get in there and make some dust!

You can sleep when you're dead!

I've been building on the kitchen table because it's been too hot to go in the garage.  I do plan on migrating in there this weekend though!
Matt Colan

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 01:00:17 PM »
Schoolwork has gotten in the way of working on the Staris but I have managed to get the elevators built and one of them sanded. Once I get past Thursday when I finish the four tests I have this week, I'll be able to get started on the wing.

Matt Colan

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 02:34:27 PM »
I have the wing framed up and I'm starting to get ready to mount the bellcrank, if only I had less school work.

The weight of the wing at this stage sits at 5.8 ounces.

Matt Colan

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 11:14:17 PM »
NAICE! 8)
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 01:03:34 PM »
I see honey roasted oats are good for mixing epoxy.... n~
Steve

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 01:54:22 PM »
I see honey roasted oats are good for mixing epoxy.... n~

LL~  When I had my grandfather send down a bunch of stuff for the plane (motor, engine pads, cowl, wingtips etc.) he felt the need to include some cardboard for mixing epoxy on.  I try and save a bunch of empty cardboard boxes for mixing epoxy on.
Matt Colan

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 02:36:40 PM »
LL~  When I had my grandfather send down a bunch of stuff for the plane (motor, engine pads, cowl, wingtips etc.) he felt the need to include some cardboard for mixing epoxy on.  I try and save a bunch of empty cardboard boxes for mixing epoxy on.

Don't the credit card companies have you in their sights yet?  Jeeze, given that you're a student I expect that you'd be getting boatloads of epoxy mixing cards in the mail.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 05:38:08 PM »
The bottom of empty beer cans make good epoxy mixing bowls...
Steve

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 06:03:13 AM »
Don't the credit card companies have you in their sights yet?  Jeeze, given that you're a student I expect that you'd be getting boatloads of epoxy mixing cards in the mail.

Thankfully I haven't been spammed yet by the credit card companies. Hopefully they never find out where i live!
Matt Colan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 08:44:30 AM »
As I learned a long time ago,  paper and card board are bad material to mix expoxy on.   I use plastic or metal lids.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 08:56:23 AM »
Heavy gauge aluminum foil might be the ideal mixing surface.  Its about as clean chemically as you can get.

And, sorry, Matt.  We seem to be defacing your build thread with epoxy comments...(!) 
Steve

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 05:49:47 PM »
Heavy gauge aluminum foil might be the ideal mixing surface.  Its about as clean chemically as you can get.

And, sorry, Matt.  We seem to be defacing your build thread with epoxy comments...(!) 

It's not a problem Steve! I'm getting read for Huntersville, which includes cleaning of the kitchen table so that we have a place to eat again. I'll get back to the plane after I get back..
Matt Colan

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »
Been a while since I've posted anything. I have gotten some work done on the Staris. All the control surfaces are done with the exception of hinging and getting a final sanding on everything.

Here's a couple pictures of the PA 51 mounted in the fuselage.  I'll be lucky if I'll be able to get much work done on the plane by the end of the semester. I may be able to sneak in an hour here and there but no real large chunk of time.

Matt Colan

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 08:47:23 PM »
I'll be lucky if I'll be able to get much work done on the plane by the end of the semester. I may be able to sneak in an hour here and there but no real large chunk of time.

You're making faster progress on yours than I am on mine!  Of course, the step that I'm currently stuck on is getting an RC build out of the way so that I can start working on a stunter.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 06:45:20 AM »
You're making faster progress on yours than I am on mine!  Of course, the step that I'm currently stuck on is getting an RC build out of the way so that I can start working on a stunter.

You're gonna have about a month to catch up when I head home for winter break in a little less than a month! During my break at home, I'll be touching up my Thundergazer for the NATS, and putting together an Extremeflight 91" Yak-54 for some 3D RC fun!
Matt Colan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 08:57:48 AM »
Hey Matt, a few minutes here and a few minutes there and it will be done before you know it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 01:01:26 PM »
It turns out my workload isn't as high as I thought it was going to be, so I may be able to get some work done on it before I head home for Thanksgiving!
Matt Colan

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2014, 04:47:31 PM »
Last week I had one of those college weeks where I was being deprived of sleep.  A trip home for some turkey was in order! However, during that awful school week, I managed to find a couple minutes to cut and tack glue the top block onto the fuselage. 

When I got home, I got to piece together a project I'll be getting ready to fly for Christmas break, an Extremeflight 91" Yak.  Power will be a DA 60 on a tuned pipe with Savox 1270 Titanium Gear servos on high voltage. I put my grandfather's 60" Yak in front of mine for a little size comparison

I'm currently sitting at JFK airport waiting to head back to school.  I should be able to get a decent amount of work done on the Staris before I fly home again in 11 days.
Matt Colan

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 09:02:42 PM »
Got back from winter break last night, and got down to business immediately on the Staris.  I'm hoping by this weekend to have the stab and elevators hinged, and the fuselage carved.  Going to try and get as much work done on the plane before the schoolwork grind really starts.

Matt Colan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here