News:

• April 19, 2024, 10:07:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Video Question  (Read 1626 times)

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Video Question
« on: September 15, 2014, 11:59:08 AM »
I got a wee camera, which we taped to airplanes to get some interesting videos at the Roundup last weekend.  Everything worked dandy, except the videos are about 400MB each.  They are in .MOV format.  How can I make the files smaller? 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
Re: Video Question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 01:02:05 PM »
That happened to me more than once....I joined a group that said they would upload faster as "streaming" which I never tried. Didn't want to admit I didn't know what they were talking about! LL~ LL~ LL~
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:22:55 PM »
It will need to be converted to one of the compressed formats. Just search Google for MOV to AVI converter and use a good MPG4 codec. I like Xvid but it isn't native to windows and not all computers can decode it without installing the codec. The upside is it's really good and it's free.

https://www.xvid.org/

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »
Thanks, Bob.  When I used XvidMiniConvert, it said, "Error.  Source file not supported."  What should I have done?
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 05:10:33 PM »
Thanks, Bob.  When I used XvidMiniConvert, it said, "Error.  Source file not supported."  What should I have done?

It will first need to be converted to an uncompressed AVI file. I have never done it with a MOV file but am pretty sure the software to do it is available. The best converters cost a little and some web sites allow you to upload the file, it gets converted by software on the site then gives you a link to download the converted file. All I can say is be careful, as I'm sure you already know many things advertised on the web as free are not..

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 05:21:03 PM »
Google convert .mov to .avi with open source.  Then pick through the responses for the ones that aren't really open source.

My basic rule of thumb is: if it comes off of sourceforge.net, from a known-honest Linux distribution's repository, or from a known-honest application site (like scilab.org), then it's open source.

Many good open-source apps that are available on Linux are available on Windows.  Most end up being clunkier to use than with Linux, but still useful.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline David Russum

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 05:54:48 PM »
I use a program called Freemake Video Converter

http://download.cnet.com/Freemake-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-75218346.html

Cnet has some great programs on their download page, but BE VERY CAREFUL as it always tries to fool you into installing toolbars or other crapware, so read every window, license agreement, etc. very thoroughly.  When in doubt, click cancel.  I think with this program, it tried 4 times to install crap I didn't want, so be careful and read everything when you install.

I have used this program many times to convert from one video format to another and to burn DVDs to watch on TV.  I just tested it converting a .mov to an .mp4 and it worked great.  It can even convert and upload directly to You Tube.

And don't forget - BE CAREFUL installing it and read everything so you don't get unwanted crap installed on your computer.  There should be a special circle of hell for the people that think that stuff up.
AMA #335952

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 06:22:18 PM »
The one I used was a freeware[can't remember what the name was]....I used it once, and then removed it. No problems, i was trying to get a video off my son's facebook account...of my Imperial maiden flight. It's the only way I could get it.

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 08:41:57 PM »
I use a free program called Any Video Converter ( http://download.cnet.com/Any-Video-Converter-Freeware/3000-2194_4-10661456.html ) which converts just about any format to anything else. I just converted a 60Meg .MOV to a highest quality (1920x1080) 17.5Meg .AVI file.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 04:46:58 AM »
I use a free program called Any Video Converter ( http://download.cnet.com/Any-Video-Converter-Freeware/3000-2194_4-10661456.html ) which converts just about any format to anything else. I just converted a 60Meg .MOV to a highest quality (1920x1080) 17.5Meg .AVI file.
That's it!  LL~ LL~ LL~ n~

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 01:41:49 AM »
Thanks, folks.  I started to download Freemake and got scared by a review calling it malware.  I then downloaded Any Video Converter, which works dandy.  I thought I was being clever getting it from Anvsoft itself, rather than Cnet, but it still tried to sneak some crapware along with it.  I tried converting the .MOV file to various formats, but the smallest file I could get without degradation was bigger than 100 MB. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 06:59:31 AM »
Freemake works quite well, actually.  I don't know where I downloaded it from, but if you watch out for boxes you need to uncheck before you let it install, it isn't malware.  It has the ability to some basic editing - like cutting out the dead space between scenes and/or beginning and end of a vid.  I haven't used it for much more than that.  But that alone lets you knock the file sizes down.  Actually 4:1 compression is not bad - you might get somewhat better by going to .flv files, but you will also definitely lose quality. If you are trying to retain HD, you are kind of stuck with big files.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 09:03:24 PM »
What I do with AVC is click on the little down arrow in the top RH corner then scroll right down to Common Video Formats. I then select Customised AVI Movie because that suits my TV. That gives a Basic Settings window where you can select the video size and size quality.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here