News:

• April 26, 2024, 07:11:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just had my first experience with runaway(solved)  (Read 8005 times)

Offline DanielGelinas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Just had my first experience with runaway
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2014, 07:40:38 AM »
Brett doesn't think much of Fox 35s, regarding them as an archaic relic of 1950. Always recommending LA25s or something else, when the subject of Foxes comes up. Many Philly Flyers love the fossil. Don't mess with dedicated Harley Riders. Leave Foxes to those who delight in their eccentric charms. If you want to fix a Harley or get a Fox 35 to perform ask (complete the sentence). Pundits are pundits. Even in our little world that goes round and round.

Hi Dennis,

That's because it really is an archaic relic of 1950!! So are Harleys. That doesn't mean Brett has no experience with them.
I love my fox's. That's why I treat them with love and extra castor! ;) ;)
-dan

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2014, 08:28:18 AM »
I think Dan is right on here.  I have a silly number of older stunt engines,  Foxes and most any brand you can name.  Most of these have very little (if any) run time.  Using a mix of castor and techno plate oils keeps them clean and they never built up the varnish.  Still use the 29% oil either 50/50 or start with 20%-50/50 and add castor up to the 29%.  It seems pretty simple to me...mix up a pint of 29% and try it.  If it doesn't solve your issues then do as you wish,  tinker at will,  tempt fate,  Superman , the Ol' Lone Ranger,  spit into the wind.  I don't mind buying a bottle of castor.  I'd consider it an insurance policy.  Sure can't hurt.  Fiddle or fly.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2014, 09:43:07 AM »
A synthetic mix is probably better for bushings than straight castor.

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2014, 10:16:59 AM »
We arn't saying use straight castor. We're saying add castor to the 22% mix and see what happens! Ron has nothing to lose by trying, he already has synthetic in his 22% mix.
Dan H^^

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2014, 10:24:11 AM »
I guess you're adding about 1 ounce castor per 36 ounce quart.

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2014, 11:57:30 AM »
Wow,

Sure is a lot of talk about oil content. I am travelling and don't have access to castor at the moment. I have gone through the tank, backplate and needle. I should get a chance to fly tomorrow to test things out. I am trying to make changes small so as not to make it worse.

I'll keep everyone updated on my findings. The plane this Fox is mounted on is a CLC Super Clown and the Fox is a '54 model with the little bulges on the bypass with the bypass flush with the cooling fins.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Ron

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2014, 09:39:11 PM »
I spoke with Marvin Denny on the phone this evening, while he wasn't keen on my oil content he said that it probably wasn't the problem and that it was more than likely my head. He offered to clean it up for me.

Like I said earlier I will try my changes tomorrow. I am not against upping my oil content by any means, it's just I am not sold just yet.

I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Ron

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2014, 05:37:34 PM »
Since there is no bushing on either end of the rod,  there will be no "bushing problem" related to oil percentage.  ;)  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2014, 04:42:11 PM »
Ok guys,

I finally got the Clown in the air after I went through some things. I sealed the backplate and needle with Permatex. Went through the tank, changed prop to an APC 10x5. Changed out the fuel line and added a filter.

So.... Up it went, loops wingovers etc. and perfect 4-2 break. I was settling in to an all star run when half way way through the tank the inboard flaps decides to depart from the plane. I lose all control and the plane came down hard.

I was lucky in that it rained a couple days ago and the ground was soft. Came away with only a broken prop and a dented tank.

So my engine problem is fixed, now to fix the plane!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here