News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:54:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glass Filled Radial Mount, Engine Mount?  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Glass Filled Radial Mount, Engine Mount?
« on: September 13, 2014, 07:16:50 PM »
I have a Dave Brown glass filled engine mount, for radial mount application. NIB.

It should stay together for stunt?

I'm trying to make use of what I already have.

Anyone using these in a model?

The use would be in a sport scale model.

Thanks in advance.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Glass Filled Radial Mount, Engine Mount?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 07:37:59 PM »
I've used them several times .... no problems.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »
I've used them several times .... no problems.

Frank,

Thanks for the reply.

Where did you put your hatch for the tank?

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 08:59:55 AM »
Charles - I have been using them for quite a few years and I'm sold on them.
I've used them on everything from half-A to a SAITO 56.
For the most part, I use them for everything.

I use 3/16 Z-ply for the firewall.

Check out the weight comparison.

Bob Z.

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 09:20:06 AM »
Is that ply firewall just epoxied to the basic fuselage balsa /ply doubler sides, or do you use any kind of triangle bits for reinforcing? I have seen where some are building very thick ply balsa ply bulkheads to attach the mount to especially when using the larger saito 62 and 72 type engines. would like to try this set up.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
Great Planes Adjustable is my favorite
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 10:01:54 AM »
I have two or three in planes. The biggest is .60 size and without adding a ply tank floor where the crutch would have been the engine wouldn't run right. Two engines and several tanks later I epoxied the ply in and stiffened the fuselage nose. I have the same style construction on .46LA powered planes  with no other reinforcement that run very well.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »
Wow! Great responces.

So you don't think I need a .25" ply firewall?

Does anyone have photos of their installations?

I was thinking about using a 4S but what a surprise it was to see what they are selling for. Bummer.

Thanks for the replies

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 11:33:23 AM »
Wow! Great responces.

I was thinking about using a 4S but what a surprise it was to see what they are selling for. Bummer.

Thanks for the replies

Yes, Saito doesn't give their motors away but man, they last and are dead nuts reliable.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 11:52:57 AM »
After I broke up the nose of my SuperRingmaster while saber-dancing, I decided it was easier to use a nylon motor mount.  Attached photos are pretty self-explanatory....

Scott

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 11:55:18 AM »
I mostly used epoxy and a little lightweight glass cloth.  Last photo is of finished repair.  Not a 20 pointer.  But it's a SuperRingmaster and it's used for saber-dancing...

Scott

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 12:32:05 PM »
Scott,

Nice easy fix.

Can't even tell you did it!

Proparc,

Do you know anything about the Saito 72?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 02:56:14 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline KenP51

• Commander
  • K Pitts
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »
Hi Charles

I have used them a bunch. Only thing I use for RC. I have used them for as big as a ST 3000. No problems The fire has to strong enough. More importantly the forward fuse has to be stiff enough. But no need to add excess weight to do so.

This plane used a OS 60 on pipe. No problems until the figure 9.

Ken
But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 02:56:27 PM »
Scptt,

Proparc,

Do you know anything about the Saito 72?

Don't know a thing about it. LL~ Just joking of course. I have a pretty long history with that motor.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 11:10:42 AM »
Hi Charles, When I broke the motor mounts on my ARF Nobler I didn't want to make a big deal out of getting it in the air again so I used a Tower Adjustable glass filled mount! My backing was 1/4" 5 ply plywood which as worked out really fine. I did use triangle balsa to back up the wood and coated all with thinned down epoxy. That was several years ago and still working well. B-40 power.

Had a bird knock off the engine from my Humongous in Cleveland back in '11. Fixed it the same way with the same materials and methods and it's still working well! LA .46 power 6 X 32 socket screws, as in wood screws, with lock washers and flat washers working well ever since!
Phil Spillman

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 11:37:27 AM »
Phil,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I'm convinced I'll have no issues, lots of replies from experienced modelers.

I like the idea of triangle stock, I will use it on both sides vertically.

My firewall mount will be .25" 5 ply attached to a 3" square box. Well, open on the bottom for tank access.

Thanks agan for the reply.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 01:38:07 PM »
Also great for use on profiles. Using light weight aluminum angle brackets you can rotate the motor mount to anywhere you need it. For instance...a rear exhaust engine with a pipe on a profile fuselage!

Question: Do you use any kind of nut(s) on you mounting bolts, or just thread them into the mount?

W.  :!
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 01:58:27 PM »
Also great for use on profiles. Using light weight aluminum angle brackets you can rotate the motor mount to anywhere you need it. For instance...a rear exhaust engine with a pipe on a profile fuselage!

Question: Do you use any kind of nut(s) on you mounting bolts, or just thread them into the mount?

W.  :!

Ward,

I'll thread the mount as I did in R/C. Ran Rossi's, still never had an issue.

Blind nuts to hold the mount on.

I can build the front of this model kinda as I did with R/C models.

I wasn't sure these mounts were that popular.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 01:59:28 PM »
For four strokes I like the SIG SIGEM001 two piece mount. It allows putting the rear mounted carb back against the firewall with nothing to get in the way. 1/4 ply firewall with light ply fuselage doublers, drill and tap the mount itself 4-40 to mount the engine.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 06:10:28 AM »
Bob,

Looks like the botom of the rails on your Sig mount are flat.  Be nice id some others were.

Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

It doesn't take much to give straight answers.

It's appreciated.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 08:23:04 AM »
Bob,

Looks like the botom of the rails on your Sig mount are flat.  Be nice id some others were.

Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

It doesn't take much to give straight answers.

It's appreciated.
What size you needing? I may have something.
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 10:05:19 AM »
Bob,

They are, first time I used them I drilled and relieved so I could install blind nuts in the bottom. Second time I just drilled and taped the mount, no issues with a Saito 62 so now I just use 4-40's screwed directly into the mounts. One trick with the two piece mount is to mount the engine before marking and drilling the firewall for the mounting bolts.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 10:16:03 AM »
Hey Phil:

I did the same thing on my Nobler ARF.  I don't know what the original motor mount material was, but it certainly wasn't maple.  I think that I actually broke it on a nose-over.  How bad is that?

You'll notice that I used a plywood spacer to make sure the engine was positioned properly.  Also note side reinforcements screwed into mount.

It's a Dave Brown mount 20-25 (I think.)

Scott

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here