News:

• April 18, 2024, 09:58:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do these things really fly?  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Jim Dincau

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time.

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
Re: Do these things really fly?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 06:26:33 PM »
I'm sure most of the plastic RTF's were capable of getting off the ground, but I can't imagine anybody buying one of these except as a collector's item. I see this one does appear to have a foam wing with a stunt airfoil so it might be one of the better performers. The winning bid should be interesting although I've heard a lot of the collector's type of control line stuff doesn't bring in the money it once did.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 11:18:07 PM »
Looking at the actual photo of the model on the second picture of the box I'd say it was one of the better flying planes. As long as you used a good grade of high nitro fuel.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 01:15:42 AM »
    I have one, but have not tried to fly it. It's not as big as the Chipmunk or the Hyper Viper, but with the same engine it should do OK. I think it has a full flying stab, so that may make it a bit touchy and not fly as well as the Hyper Viper.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 01:37:11 AM »
The Cox Chipmunk was actually capable of flying some stunt maneuvers, and with some minor mods of CG and leadout placement would fly most of the pattern. 

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 07:09:59 AM »
This always brings up the issue of how many kids didn't learn to fly because of Cox plastic airplanes?  My brother and I built Scientific balsa kits as kids and had a ball flying (and crashing) them.  We always had kids asking us to help them fly their Cox RTFs as most would barely get off the ground.  Other than the PT-19, none flew worth a hoot.  These foam wing planes flew okay, but came out well after the surge was over and millions of kids had been disappointed by the beautiful, but almost non-flying, plastic P-40s and stuff.  That's why so many are available on EBay.

Scott

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 07:24:57 AM »
I owned one and flew it often. It is actually IMHO a better flying airplane than the Super Chipmunk and the ME-109 Stunter. It is much lighter. It does have a foam wing and is capable of insides, outsides, figure 8's, wingovers, and inverted flight. Dan is right, it is a little touchy and does not fly as well as the Hyper Viper. I have all of these airplanes and would rate the Hyper Viper 1st, Crusader 2nd, Chipmunk and ME-109 tied for 3rd as they are basically the same airplane. The Crusader is a great little plane for backyard flying. Mike
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here