News:

• April 25, 2024, 11:24:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Once again a new KC flying field  (Read 3464 times)

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Once again a new KC flying field
« on: September 11, 2014, 02:39:48 PM »
In the 1960s the City of Kansas City, Mo. built a fantastic concrete flying circle in Swope Park.  In the late 70s politics won and circle was buried so a soccer sports complex could be built over it.  A replacement smaller circle was built at KC Riverfront park.  Within a year or so it was banned and closed due to the discovery of toxic waste at the site.  Control line fliers have been without a dedicated field ever since.  We flew in whatever parking lots or soccer fields we could find but at the mercy of any and all else who wanted to use the spot.  Getting regular practice was a dream. 
About a year ago I was fortunate to find a willing corporate partner who would let us use an adjacent lot to their building.  It was a little rough but very flat.  We picked out rocks,  hauled in fill dirt to patch holes , planted grass and mowed endlessly to create one of the better grass sites around- equal to the Muncie grass.  The land throughout this industrial park is zoned as agriculture and hayed each year.  While they were haying a few weeks ago a city of Lenexa (Kansas) codes inspector came by to check the work.  He inquired about my 'crop circle'.  When he was told what it was for he said it must stop or the zoning would be changed and the business would have to pay an additional $5000 in taxes.  We have this field until Oct. 1st then must move on....,
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Once again a new KC flying field
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 02:44:56 PM »
The existing field.
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 02:57:05 PM »
Just finished a meeting with the Parks Director of the City of Shawnee, Kansas.  We now have a new flying home at Shawnee Riverfront Park,  right against the Kansas River levee.  We are pretty much assured at least twenty years in this undeveloped and unfunded city park area.  Now to get to work!!!  Let's call it Shawnee Control Line Model Airport.
AMA 20934

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 03:04:46 PM »
Good job Dave. Somebody finally listened.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 04:14:02 PM »
Thanks Wayne.  Maybe we'll have some sort of simple contest here next year.  Not sure what's under those weeds yet.  Bought new work boots and gloves and will start work tomorrow.  Will be interesting also to see what kind of air well get off the river- just over those trees to the west.  I was gladly surprised how receptive the director was.  The fact the land isn't much good for other things and really off the beaten path helped.  Spotted it on Google maps.  Ain't technology wunnerful?
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 09:11:29 AM »
Yeah, I pulled up a map to the site.   It is close to where the Boy Scouts have their big annual Jamboree.   They use well over a hundred acres for their doings.   I need to get down there and help.   Have the rider to mow with.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 09:37:27 AM »
Wow! thought you could pretty much do anything with AG zoned land but I am not in a city and not in your state. My property is AG zoned and nobody cares what I do with it. The only exception is I can't have a business that has people traffic unless I want to sell corn :)

Must have different rules, in Oklahoma that business would have to be on Commercial zoned property, he couldn't get away with having it on AG zoned land. I still do not understand why having a flying circle would make for a zoning change. Think I would be talking to the city council or mayor but looks like you have the problem solved.

Good luck, hope it doesn't take too much work..

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 09:50:35 AM »
Johnson County KANSAS has some strange rules.   The land Dave and I were using is in the city limits of Lenexa.  Shawnee Mission Park where I used to fly is in Lenexa.   I tried to get the park to give permission for me to trim back a hedge tree that is on the back side of the circle.  No go according to the park manager.  I did have permission to mow and fly sing the designated circle.   I do hope we can get on the good side of the Johnson County Parks for the new site.   It will take some work, but we can get it done.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 12:06:48 PM »
There will always be the local politic....John this is city not Johnson county.  (It is really confusing around here).

Circle safari.. Whacked and mowed my way to claim the circle center for humanity.  I've decided my weed whip and push mower aren't going to get this done the first time.  Going to get Kevin with his big rider or hire a brush hog.  Or find a herd of goats....

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 12:25:52 PM »
Yeah most places have rules like this for zoning!  They usually are not enforced unless some one important or the County decides it wants the land for something else.
I, of course, believe that's the main purpose for making them in the first place.

As the Government grows in size so does it's control over everything, always to the detriment of the "middle class" people.

Glad you guys have managed to come up with an alternative.

When I lived in KC about a million years ago, it seems, the city was very cooperative towards Model Airplane Flying, and actually supported it in several places around the City.

Fortunately in Tucson we enjoy that kind of relationship with the City Government but we're always aware of the possibility of change!!!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 02:46:23 PM »
Yeah, I pulled up a map to the site.   It is close to where the Boy Scouts have their big annual Jamboree.   They use well over a hundred acres for their doings.   I need to get down there and help.   Have the rider to mow with.
John you can try.  That stuff is tough.  I staked the center and planned 80-85' radius.  I mowed for parking off the road.  Might move further away from the road and closer to the levee if the ground is any smoother.  Looks like plenty of room.
AMA 20934

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 02:59:47 PM »
You will kill a rider, maybe the city will come in and mow it the first time. Cut it low, almost scalp low the first time to take the big stalks down to ground level.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 03:54:39 PM »
Yeah Bob that's concerns me about John bringing his down for this first de-foresting.  My son in law has a heavy duty machine he mows several acres with that might do it.  If not I'll just hire some mowing outfit.  The city knew I'd have to mow this and didn't volunteer.  This area isn't funded so I don't want to push my luck right now.  Once we get this whacked down we won't let it get this way again!  My guess is parts of this haven't been mowed for a couple years.  Digging up a few small trees as well.
AMA 20934

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 05:57:40 PM »
Look on Cragslist for someone that advertises Tractor Work then ask if they have a Flail mower. A Flail mower behind a tractor will cut and grind it low enough that if it's reasonably level you will be able to keep it pretty nice with a rider. A Flail can handle small trees just try to get the operator to set it really low so everything is cut to ground level.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 06:02:31 PM »
Good to know.  Thank you Bob.  There are farms up against the property.  Might seek out the farmers there. 
AMA 20934

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 06:35:08 PM »
Don't be surprised if the farmers don't like the noise of somebody having fun. Just sayin'. It happens.

At our old field, we had a jackazz across the river and busy road (a 2 lane State Highway to the West) bitch about the noise, even with mufflers. Then some non-club members went there and flew combat models with no mufflers. That really did not help. There was a "catch 22"...park dept. property, so it had to be open to all, but there were rules (curfew, mufflers and no 2-up flying because it was right next to a 6 lane freeway plus on/off ramps to the East), and AMA membership requirement. Who is going to enforce the rules? Call the city police, they said. What exactly do they know about the rules? Nada...  :P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline WLGeorge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 09:53:45 PM »
Mr. Trible, I feel your pain. I have been run off of perfectly good flying sites for the most trivial of reasons.  I once spent a day cleaning broken beer bottles from a closed down county airport hanger pad only to be run off by a cop that told me people kept breaking glass bottles there. I had a deputy try , unsuccessfully, to run me out of my family cemetery (that I own) because of the "historic nature and disrespect" of the cemetery. Never mind that everbody in the place is related to me and my granny loved watching me fly as a kid.  Some folks are just jackasses because they can be.  My Granny always said it was because of "poor potty training".
As i got older it dawned on me that was her way of calling somebody an ass----.  Granny was pretty sharp. Good luck with your flying site.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 10:45:37 PM »
That kind of red tape makes me see red. It is always about the $$
Much luck to you fellers on the new field. It may not be perfect yet but hopefully you get many a good flight there.
Invite that farmer to fly. Maybe he has a bit of free time.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 06:15:25 AM »
Thanks guys!  Mr. George I'd have liked your granny-sounds like mine.  I'm not too sure exactly the underlying motivation for losing the field but my list is:
1. A little bureaucrat stretching his ego.
2. The farmer getting paid to hay the area losing a bail or two of hay.
3. The common errogance in this upper scale and famously uppity county to simply say "get off my grass".
4. The leasing company in the industrial park who previously turned me down making a stir with the city to protect its 'image ' in the area though it doesn't control the property in question. (See No.3)
5. I'm not a soccer club so I don't count.
6. I'd didn't offer a bribe.  (Actually DID give a 'thank you gift' to someone helpful to getting use of the field to begin with)

Steve I'd hope we won't get any noise complaints any time soon.  One attraction of this place is just how remote it is.  I'd say the nearest home is nearly a mile away.  The park department actually owns the surrounding farm land I'm told , a leases the land back to the farmers.  The long term plan is to dredge out the farm land and make a big lake there across the road from the circle.  They'd have to find the money for it first.  Some group does cyclocross sometimes at the opposite end of this park area.  That and the once-a- year Boy Scout camp out should be about all I'd need to worry about.  THAT sounds like a pool of recruits to me!

AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 08:30:55 AM »
We will find out in time.  I still remember when my racing pilot and I went to the Washington High School parking lot to try out a new racing plane.   People that lived on the other side of the road were sitting on their porch or in chairs in the yard watching us.   We were getting ready to roll up the lines when a patrolman pulls up.  Seems we were interfearing with a TV set that was over 5 blocks away.    We showed the officer that there was nothing we had t send out signals.   Anyway he said there was an ordinance about use of school property and not feel bad as he stated he gets visits from his co-workers when he tries out his Modified Race car.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 05:03:12 PM »
I have lost 2 flying fields that I had for over 15 years. One was only a half mile from my house. It is now farm ground. I have to drive 26 miles to Salina Model flying club to fly now but they do have a great place to fly control line. I got spoiled by being able to just go fly close to home to check out planes and engines. Bob Reeves is the smart one having a flying field in his yard. I have several places I could probably fly electric close to home but that would be no fun for an engine guy like me.

Jim Kraft

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 09:25:22 AM »
Jim there sure is something about that grunt and stink that wouldn't be quite the same.... Was out mowing the old field (1 year ?) this morning for practice at the end of the week.  The company president came out and gave us a reprieve sort of.  We can use the field for the rest of the year since he didn't think the inspectors would be back out anyway.  That's great news since we could have another month or two of flyable weather here and the new field needs a lot of work and won't be usable till spring.  Kevin thinks his equipment will do the job so he's  bringing it in a few days and we 'll see.  The dirt is uneven and there are some tire ruts etc., so I'll spent a lot of time this winter when the ground isn't frozen hoeing and raking it down.  Think I'm going to buy a new lawn tractor and trailer and store it in a storage rental place down the road a mile or two from the field. That push mower is for teenagers and that isn't me these days.
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »
Dave, I already have a 42 inch cut zero turn rider.   Just need to get down an look at the new site.   May have to raise he deck for the first few cuts.   Family has kept me tied up and getting used to new vehicle.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 11:11:33 AM »
Nice buggy John!!  Yes I know you have the rider and I sure appreciate it when you come to mow!  You know I'm a PITA about the grass and my carbon props.  I mow every week or less if it rains and the grass grows much.  You don't get out that much-wish you did.
AMA 20934

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 08:35:36 AM »
This is what you need, set low enough the flail mower will actually cut the high spots and help level the field. It's a little rough on the flails but easier than tilling. The right way to do it is to spray roundup to kill everything then till it up and level the dirt. Not having the right equipment can make the whole operation a little expensive as you will have to hire someone with a 3 point tiller.

This is my 1971 Ford 3000 tractor with a John Deere 7 foot flail mower I bought at an auction for 1/10th of what they cost new. Had to do a little work on the mower, replace bad flails and bearings but now it's almost as good as new. Must have belonged to a city or county who painted it yellow, underneath the yellow is the original JD green.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 08:49:02 AM »
Hey Bob, can the old DOC borrow that rig.  LL~ LL~  I just made the drive to the new site.  From what I seen it looks like it was going to be a soccer field as the goals are sitting to the north of where the circles will be.   The area is more than big enough for two circles.   I think a brush hog might do the trick and then a disc or harrow to level it a little more.  Wonder if I can get a 50 year lease with the county on the property.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline WLGeorge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 08:59:02 AM »
I agree with Mr. Reeves.  A flail mower will do some pretty awesome weed whacking.  It will semi chew up the high spots and make a fairly good mulch for the top of your field out of the thick stuff. Sometimes you have to go slow or raise the blade and mow it twice but it works well.  You can also rake the mulch into the low spots and it will help fill in your holes.  I have an old Mott flail mower that I use on some local soccer practice fields in return for "flying rights".  I just knock down the high stuff during the off season and they mow it with a zero turn mower when it is practice time.  It's kind of strange but I have had people try to run me off of "their" soccer fields while flying.  I never see these folks on the "work days" at the field, just when I am flying.  Lot of ugly in their hearts I guess.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 09:36:18 AM »
Bob the address is 5800 Frisbie rd.......oh....well I hope Kevin can get it down and save the old man a few bucks.  Were going to try today but raining.  Maybe tomorrow.
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 02:58:11 PM »
Had a great day at the new field today.   Got home from taking gradaughter to work and eating my breakfast burritos, I decided to go see if Dave was at the field.   What a surprise as Shawnee Mission Park employee was mowing.   While talking with him(Steve) Dave and Kevin pulled up.  Pictures should tell the story.   I did my best part in trying to stay out of the road and sit on my kister(back side).
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 03:08:39 PM »
Had a couple to add.  There are some holes and ruts to fill out there.  Kevin is bringing the Bobcat in the next few days to do some smoothing.  Going to get a load of backfill dirt in there then comes the verticutter.  Going to look like Pebble Beach!!!

AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2014, 03:09:34 PM »
Doc working the brush pile.
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2014, 03:11:30 PM »
Steve the park guy who saved our bacon by taking the top layer off.  Then Kevin mowed it three times then the lawn sweeper.
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2014, 03:12:22 PM »
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 03:13:19 PM »
A shot from atop the levee.
AMA 20934

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 04:40:51 PM »
Wow, Guys.  Shows a lot of promise!

Careful you don't make too pretty or it will wind up with socker fields, putting grens and drive ranges on it!

It seems those guys are always scouting for more!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 07:24:27 PM »
Randy it's going to happen .  Plan to come home for a visit next year and bring an airplane to fly on the new field.  Should be pretty slick by spring.  Kevin reports a bad hydrolic leak with one of the Bobcats and the other is down in the Ozarks right now.  Might not do much more for a few days.
AMA 20934

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here