News:

• March 29, 2024, 06:44:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vp control line fuel  (Read 2914 times)

Offline big ron

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Vp control line fuel
« on: September 11, 2014, 01:31:38 PM »
Vp 10% in fox 35
John Blanchard
Brusly, Louisiana
 AMA 1054488

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: Vp control line fuel
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 02:59:34 PM »
VP/ Powermaster has multiple 10% blends. You should probably be using the 10/25% castor blend or the 10/29% castor blend in a Fox 35. The regular 10% aircraft fuel is only 17 or 18% oil, mostly synthetic. Not the best choice to keep your Fox happy.

Offline big ron

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 05:48:17 PM »
Thanks what are the best market fuels for that engine?
John Blanchard
Brusly, Louisiana
 AMA 1054488

Offline Bob Matiska

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 05:54:15 PM »
I bought two gallons of the Powermaster fuel at a contest a couple of years ago, one was 5% nitro and the other 10%. Each has 29% castor oil. They both run great in my Fox 35s. I'm very satisfied with the fuel.

Bob in NEPA
AMA 56267

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 06:10:40 PM »
Thanks what are the best market fuels for that engine?

Chances are pretty good that you won't have a lot of choices for Fox .35 fuel. It's pretty difficult here, with no fuel mixing companies closer than Iowa or Phoenix, I think. You've got "Ritch's Brew", VP/Powermaster/Wildcat just over in TX, and I think Red Max is somewhere down yonder. I would be really happy to be able to get Ritch's or either VP brand. I've read both good and bad about Red Max, but haven't ever used it. Byron's is supposed to have CL fuel, as does Brodak. There's a chance we could get Byron's or Brodak's, if we ordered a whole case and paid in advance. It seems Fox is out of the engine and fuel business for now. I'd stay well away from helicopter, boat and car mixes.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 02:50:46 PM »
Call Stan over at S&W fuels, he'll mix up anything you want. 610-252-2024  Fox 35 runs good on Fox superfuel which was 5% nitro 28% castor.

MM

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 03:40:03 PM »
I put several hundred flights on one of my old 1977 Fox stunt 35s using Sig Champion 10% nitro 20% oil; half castor, half synthetic.  It has very good compression, usually one flip starts and runs to suit me.   In my experience Fox stunt 35s run fine on muffler pressure.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 04:11:51 PM »
Steve,

Eugene Toy and Hobby stocks Sig all Castor fuel, and the last time I checked Ted's Interstate Hobby (near Delta Park) had Sig fuel in stock.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 05:22:51 AM »
Running all castor will varnish engine.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 09:18:40 AM »
Yes it will and has been doing so in Fox 35's for 60 plus years. Foxes seem to tolerate castor build up more than other engines. My favorite Fox blend (which is also good for OS S-35s and Enya 5224 series) is 25% castor, 3% synthetic. Excaliber makes  make fuel to that formula. Sig and Powermaster make a 25% castor blend to which Klotz can be added-1.3 ounces of oil roughly equals a 1% increase per gallon. If you are want to run VP Powermaster R/C fuel in your Fox 35, I would add 9 ounces of castor oil to the gallon and give it a try. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »
Steve,

Eugene Toy and Hobby stocks Sig all Castor fuel, and the last time I checked Ted's Interstate Hobby (near Delta Park) had Sig fuel in stock.

Bill

I'm set. I can get any mix of VP Powermaster or VP Wildcat from a couple of shops, as long as I buy a case of it. But it's not as easy as just dropping into the local R/C Car store! I can also mix fuel here at the house, with any sort of oil or amount of nitro...until I run out of nitro.   

The problem is Big Ron's, in Brusly, LA. I think Gil and Mike can turn Ron onto a good fuel source in Red Stick. There is a need to shun the typical 10% R/C "weedkiller", if his Fox .35 is to last more than a few tanks full. I wish him well with that!  H^^ Steve 

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 03:47:56 PM »
We go through this discussion every few months. Round and round. We do fly control line. In Philly lots of folks fly Fox 35s. Our fuel of choice is 22% (50/50) 5% or 10%, Powermaster now called VP. The Foxes fly year after year. Some get hammered in Foxberg. Many fly in Ringmasters or full bodied stunters. A very fine flying Oriental among them. Dan Banjock and other Philly Flyers have won many contests in Old Time AND Classic flying Ringmasters and other birds powered by Fox 35s. Dan's beautiful Galloping Comedian is the cover plane on the current Stunt News. It is Fox 35 powered using the above mentioned fuels. No varnishing. Excellent durability. Optimum run characteristics. Dan has flown that plane to high finishes in Old Time and Classic at the NATs. It has won many local contests. Might have even won Brodak. Top 3 placing more than once.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 05:57:09 PM »
FWIW:  A case of Powermaster has 6 one gallon cans in it, not the more common four. Good to know if you are going to order by the case. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 09:23:06 PM »
FWIW:  A case of Powermaster has 6 one gallon cans in it, not the more common four. Good to know if you are going to order by the case. 8)

Yup, that makes a case of Powermaster a bit of a stretch for me on SS. I'm wondering if the VP/Wildcat will remain in jugs and cases of 4. I'm kinda hoping so, but then Powermaster has the GMA blends. Wildcat "JET" (Ducted Fan) mixes are pretty close to the 10-22 at 10-23, tho the 23% is probably 80-20 synthetic-castor.  H^^ Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here