News:

• April 25, 2024, 03:13:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bending CF rod for landing gear  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Bending CF rod for landing gear
« on: September 10, 2014, 08:32:59 AM »
Guys,
In an effort to keep weight down I have been looking into using 5/64" solid carbon fiber rod material for landing gear. The ship is a 25 size and will weigh in at around 34 oz. It will be tricycle gear and I am working hard to save weight were I can and the gear has a good shot. I have the CF rod and thought I could heat it and shape it but when I tried heating with a regular heat gun it laughed at it.

Has anyone tried this? How much heat and from what source?

Best,        DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Bending CF rod for landing gear
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 09:53:10 AM »
Guys,
In an effort to keep weight down I have been looking into using 5/64" solid carbon fiber rod material for landing gear. The ship is a 25 size and will weigh in at around 34 oz. It will be tricycle gear and I am working hard to save weight were I can and the gear has a good shot. I have the CF rod and thought I could heat it and shape it but when I tried heating with a regular heat gun it laughed at it.

Has anyone tried this? How much heat and from what source?

Best,        DennisT
Dennis,

You can save weight by eliminating that third wheel.  n~
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:33:16 AM »
Sorry, that is not possible. The fibers will delaminate as you bend the rod. It will first fail on compression side.
You can only very slightly heat & twist the pultruded rods, like re-pitching props but even then you must be very carefull. L

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:39:54 AM »
Laurie is right. You can get it to move a bit (as when carbon props are re-pitched) but not the kind of bend you are talking about. It will just delaminate and fracture. I've made carbon gear, but you have to lay it up that way.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags: gear 

Advertise Here