News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:59:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sportsman Goodyear landing gear  (Read 2444 times)

Offline bill bischoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sportsman Goodyear landing gear
« on: September 09, 2014, 09:11:24 PM »
I'm always on the lookout for products and techniques to make events more accessible to novices and non-racers. The introduction of the Magnum and ASP 15 into our Sportsman Goodyear event has given the event a significant boost in popularity, and more and more people are building new airplanes. The days of Glenn Lee wheels and titanium landing gears may be gone for good, but here is a landing gear solution that should be within everybody's reach.

The landing gear and wheels are made from standard hobby shop parts. The wheels are Williams Brothers 1 1/4", #13800. The gear are cut from a Great Planes L1 dural gear, #GPMQ1810. The axles are 1/4" OD x 7/16" long plated brass spacers. I got them from McMaster-Carr for 35 cents each (#92474A264). I also bought 6-32 x 5/16" stainless button head cap screws #92949A145 for $3.71 per hundred, and #6 stainless flat washers #92141A007 for $2.00 per hundred.

Measure 4 3/8" up from the bottom of each leg of the landing gear and cut them off. The exact dimension isn't super critical, just cut the second one to match the first one. Bend them as required, about 1" from the big end. Drill mounting holes, and sand, file, and polish as desired. Drill out the wheels to spin freely on the 1/4" spacers. Drill in several steps instead of attacking the wheels with a 1/4" bit on the first pass, and use a drill press if you can so the wheels don't wobble. Assemble the axles with Loctite. If a wheel binds a little, try flipping the washer over. Sometimes the washers are slightly cupped and rub on the wheel hub.

If any of this isn't clear, please ask. I'll try to explain it better.

Offline Jed Kusik

• New Pilot
Re: Sportsman Goodyear landing gear
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 02:46:45 PM »
Hi guys;
I usually just lurk here but this time I have some input that is personal.
I manufacture dural landing gear. Have been for a number of years.
I make all of the gear that is sold by Eric Rule through his RSM model kit company.
All of the landing gear that goes into his many stunt kits are make by me. Its a lot
of gear in different sizes. He sells a lot of kits.
I make a sport Goodyear set ready to bolt on to your next model. Made from .090  6061.
That is the same size stock that I use for a .60 size stunt model.  Sturdy.
It gives 2 1/2" height to the bottom of model with a 1" wheel, and has 5 1/8" tread.
A normal model will have clearance for 7 1/2" props. It comes with axles but no wheels.
$10 postage paid.  No one gets rich making model parts.
PS: If you have a model with wire gear held on with standard gear clamps,1/2" pattern,
then this will bolt right on as it is drilled 1/2".

Jed Kusik
1372 Windemere Ln.
Tustin,Ca 92780
jedeeflyer@aol.com

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 05:43:48 PM »
Jed, can you post a picture of the unit you sell.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 06:55:45 PM »
Jed, does RSM list your Goodyear gear? I didn't know anything about it. BTW, our experience is that 6061 is too soft, and even 3/32" gear usually bends on an "urgent" landing. Things are better now that we've switched to 2024. As always, your results may vary.  H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here