News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:55:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tough Lesson Learned Today.....Always check your line clips))))  (Read 3589 times)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
Tough Lesson Learned Today.....Always check your line clips))))
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:26:32 PM »
I repaired the Mustang yesterday and met up with Kieth today to get the Saito .40 engine needle. Took it home...bench ran it. Perfect.
Weather was good so off to the field for a trim flight. Took off....less than half a lap the Mustang dives into the terra firma. I stand in that strange silence holding the handle with only one line attached.
The video says it all. The after action report.
What I learned today was very valuable. Always check everything before you fly. From handle to airplane. Look closely at those clips.
The Mustang did it's job for me and helped my Stunt flying immensely. We figured I did over 50 flights with it. Keith had done 700 on it before passing it over to me to train and fly with.
Feels like losing a good and loyal friend.
Good thing though is I do have other planes to fly.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Tough Lesson Learned Today.....Always check your line clips))))
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:29:59 PM »
 Sorry to hear of this mishap Shug, but these kind of days are inevitable when learning the C/L Stunt game. It's still a bummer when it happens but don't beat yourself up about it, all you can do is chalk it up to experience. The 'ol Mustang was a good horse and served it's purpose, just too bad she didn't live a little longer. Pull the engine and toss the rest in the chipper, she was well worn. You can look at it this way too, Minnesota building season it just around the corner! ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:31:55 PM »
It always hurts to lose a good model.  You got 50 flights on this, now you can shoot for another 'new' record.

Years ago I built a really nice Jr Nobler.  I had one as a teenager (my 2nd only model) and it flew really nice.  First flapped & non-profile stunter.  The new one was finished in burgundy and gold/white trim.  I pulled up into my first wingover then the controls locked and splat.  It happens but I've always paid particular attention to free controls since that experience.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:34:31 PM »
Sorry to hear of this mishap Shug, but these kind of days are inevitable when learning the C/L Stunt game. It's still a bummer when it happens but don't beat yourself up about it, all you can do is chalk it up to experience. The 'ol Mustang was a good horse and served it's purpose, just too bad she didn't live a little longer. Pull the engine and toss the rest in the chipper, she was well worn. You can look at it this way too, Minnesota building season it just around the corner! ;D
'Tis true......Stunt can sting! Really did not see this one coming. Keith has a plan in mind. For now my Prowler moves to the first string position. I feel OK about the crash just gonna miss flying that Mustang.
I do have two builds to do....though one is an ARF. May be getting right on that. A TF Nobler. Got Tom Morris controls already and an LA46..
Thanks Wayne

It always hurts to lose a good model.  You got 50 flights on this, now you can shoot for another 'new' record.

Years ago I built a really nice Jr Nobler.  I had one as a teenager (my 2nd only model) and it flew really nice.  First flapped & non-profile stunter.  The new one was finished in burgundy and gold/white trim.  I pulled up into my first wingover then the controls locked and splat.  It happens but I've always paid particular attention to free controls since that experience.
I gave thought to whether to film the aftermath and my thoughts. Glad I did. The Mustang truly helped me fly forward and it's consistent laps and such truly helped my pattern quest.
Ouch on that Nobler!
Yes...we have to suck it up and walk tall. The inevitable dirt-kiss keeps this hobby exciting and gives it an edge.
Thanks Steve,
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:06:25 PM »
Tough break Shug, we've all been there.
Sucks watching a nice model plunge to it's death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tNRaQwJu-Rk
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 07:17:54 AM »
Tough break Shug, we've all been there.
Sucks watching a nice model plunge to it's death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tNRaQwJu-Rk
That video chilled me))))
The plunge was speedy...I stood with mouth agape.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 08:45:05 AM »
Sorry Shug,

Those things happen. In fact I had a flameout at the top of the circle this past Sunday... Mine fared better than yours though.

Looks like your's is repairable. Make a wing out of balsa. Use the fuse cutout as a rib template and make a constant chord wing, or stick a Twister wing in there and fashion tips, then use it like a trainer and never worry about crashing it again!

Ron

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 08:46:49 AM »
Shug, me boy... you should be in film....

Another note, I can't remember all the dumb things I have done to my planes... I have a profile I can't throw away with a wing snapped in half... it was a grand flyer and in my own foolishness decided to keep "stunting" after I had done the pattern... I pulled up into another wing over and the engine quit... gosh, It ran out of fuel at a bad time... I stood there watching powerless as it went limp on the lines and came tumbling in... the swack !! and then dead silence ... and then my ego crashing from my own failure... humility didn't sweep over me in that moment but has over time... the lessons we learn in modeling mold our character like no other hobby...  every crash is a soul scar with a plane's name on it... kinda like a tattoo of that old girl friend that dumped you and you have to look at as long as you live... and you tell yourself .."I will do better, that won't happen again"....  and in your heart, you know it's called "Stunt"... the risk is the reward... as if I was able to cheat or sneak past "death" one more time... modelers are risk takers... I wonder sometimes where all these creative efforts go.... You Rock...

“The harder I practice, the luckier I get.” Gary Player

Jim

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 10:45:27 AM »
Shug,

A better wing to work with would be the SIG Super Chipmonk. See my "Original" Force!

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 10:59:36 AM »
Shug,  if that is a foam wing, which it looks like,  that should be an easy fix.   May not look as pretty as before, but should be made flyable.   I wonder how that type clip came loose.   I use the same type clips and make my own.   So far have not had a failure.   The old Perfect slide clips were the ones I discarded years and years ago.  I also see you almost got imotional over the loss.   Don't feel lonesome as I have had a couple of planes I almost cried over the loss. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 11:42:20 AM »
Hey Shug;

You have no reason to feel bad until you do what I did. Flash back to the 2013 Golden State Stunt Championships; as the CD I was busy and pushed for time (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!) but had to get ready for my second official flight in Advanced, I hurriedly hooked up my lines and rushed to the circle. My brother let go and I quickly realized I had reversed the "up" and "down" lines. Three quarters of a lap later, my flight came to an abrupt end. But totaling a nice flying Trophy Trainer wasn't the worst of it. One of the judges was none other than former World Champion, and many times Nats Champ Dave Fitzgerald. Oh how my pride was destroyed.

It happens.

Good luck with your next plane.

Brian

PS: I like your videos.
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 03:01:39 PM »
Sorry Shug,

Those things happen. In fact I had a flameout at the top of the circle this past Sunday... Mine fared better than yours though.

Looks like your's is repairable. Make a wing out of balsa. Use the fuse cutout as a rib template and make a constant chord wing, or stick a Twister wing in there and fashion tips, then use it like a trainer and never worry about crashing it again!

Ron

I feel better then!  :) >:D...sorry to hear about your flamout at the top.
Gonna maybe just glue it back up and stick some carbon fiber pieces in the foam. Sort of a test plane I reckon. Must resurrect.
Thank you.

Shug, me boy... you should be in film....

Another note, I can't remember all the dumb things I have done to my planes... I have a profile I can't throw away with a wing snapped in half... it was a grand flyer and in my own foolishness decided to keep "stunting" after I had done the pattern... I pulled up into another wing over and the engine quit... gosh, It ran out of fuel at a bad time... I stood there watching powerless as it went limp on the lines and came tumbling in... the swack !! and then dead silence ... and then my ego crashing from my own failure... humility didn't sweep over me in that moment but has over time... the lessons we learn in modeling mold our character like no other hobby...  every crash is a soul scar with a plane's name on it... kinda like a tattoo of that old girl friend that dumped you and you have to look at as long as you live... and you tell yourself .."I will do better, that won't happen again"....  and in your heart, you know it's called "Stunt"... the risk is the reward... as if I was able to cheat or sneak past "death" one more time... modelers are risk takers... I wonder sometimes where all these creative efforts go.... You Rock...

“The harder I practice, the luckier I get.” Gary Player

Jim
Yessir....that dead silence is somewhat deafening. I appreciate your post. Thankee.
I am feeling the same about the Mustang.

Shug,

A better wing to work with would be the SIG Super Chipmonk. See my "Original" Force!

W.
I may look into that Ward. The Force looks really good.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 03:09:22 PM »
Shug,  if that is a foam wing, which it looks like,  that should be an easy fix.   May not look as pretty as before, but should be made flyable.   I wonder how that type clip came loose.   I use the same type clips and make my own.   So far have not had a failure.   The old Perfect slide clips were the ones I discarded years and years ago.  I also see you almost got imotional over the loss.   Don't feel lonesome as I have had a couple of planes I almost cried over the loss. 
I may glue it up and just see if the Mustang can limp through a pattern again. I just may.
Baffled how the clip came loose but that type of scissor clip has a small hook end that must have twisted loose in my field box or something like that. Now I will always check at the handle too...always!

Hey Shug;

You have no reason to feel bad until you do what I did. Flash back to the 2013 Golden State Stunt Championships; as the CD I was busy and pushed for time (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!) but had to get ready for my second official flight in Advanced, I hurriedly hooked up my lines and rushed to the circle. My brother let go and I quickly realized I had reversed the "up" and "down" lines. Three quarters of a lap later, my flight came to an abrupt end. But totaling a nice flying Trophy Trainer wasn't the worst of it. One of the judges was none other than former World Champion, and many times Nats Champ Dave Fitzgerald. Oh how my pride was destroyed.

It happens.

Good luck with your next plane.

Brian

PS: I like your videos.
Wow....that is a doozy of a day. Makes me feel a bit better))))
Thanks for telling me about that crappy day. I know we all have them.
And it sure happens fast when it happens.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 03:29:10 PM »
I am not sure how you can have the continuous loop style connector fail.  It's supposed to be the gold standard of connectors.  I have used the slide connectors for years and never had a failure.  I have been told that they will fail if lot closed properly.   So my question is what happened?  In the video the line clip looked OK.  What was the failure mode?????  I now use the loop clips thinking that they were fool proof.

???   ???   ???   ???   ???   ??? 
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 03:41:47 PM »
I am not sure how you can have the continuous loop style connector fail.  It's supposed to be the gold standard of connectors.  I have used the slide connectors for years and never had a failure.  I have been told that they will fail if lot closed properly.   So my question is what happened?  In the video the line clip looked OK.  What was the failure mode?????  I now use the loop clips thinking that they were fool proof.

???   ???   ???   ???   ???   ??? 
I though to too...until now. The cable from the handle must have twisted between the line clip hooked ends in my field kit is all I can figure. The hook at the scissor end of the clip is fairly short. Now I will switch to the black scissor clips.
My mistake not to check that connection when i prepared to fly. I took off and was shocked as the plane went right in after a 1/4 lap. Thought the line broke but nope....it was laying near the broken plane as I walked down to check. The pull force off the handle line placed it down near the plane.
And yes...the clip looks fine. So a twist out is what I deduced.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline James D. Hayes

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 06:41:25 PM »
Shug,

I have a foam wing trainer that I've crashed. My answer to fixing it is Gorilla glue used sparingly with some carbon fiber rods pushed into the foam. I've done it a couple of times. It won't be as pretty but is fixable. Gorilla glue expands like 4 times it's size and foams. It will fill up all the space in the broken foam. Then take some sand paper to it. Only thing is it can push the repair out of alignment while expanding so you have to keep and eye on it while drying. I also like Ron's idea of building a new balsa wing and sticking it on the fuse. I've fixed a few planes that didn't look fixable. Put it away and don't look at it for a couple of days or so and then revisit it. LOL!!

Jim Hayes
Just do it......

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 06:46:11 PM »
Well Shug, take a deep breath, hold it for ten seconds, let it out slowly and accept it. Been there, done that. Even with a "pit man" it can happen. One reason not to fly alone. A good helper will or should also back check your equipment before launch. On at least five occasions over the years, my helper prevented this type mishap. Only once did it happen when we both got in a hurry.
Another good reason to always have a backup plane.  D>K
Breath taken)))) I like to fly with others but as an entertainer my hours are not the same as many so alone it is at times. I will be flier/pitman from now on and double check all with renewed vigor.
Luckily I do have back-up planes....but truly loved flying this one.
Thanks Ty.

Shug,

I have a foam wing trainer that I've crashed. My answer to fixing it is Gorilla glue used sparingly with some carbon fiber rods pushed into the foam. I've done it a couple of times. It won't be as pretty but is fixable.
Jim Hayes
Quite timely James....I just came in from gluing the inboard wing and stabilizer with cf rods and epoxy. Just have to make the Mustang fly again if even with another engine. True...not pretty.
Thank you/
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 08:25:21 PM »

For whatever reason I'm as guilty as they come when it comes to getting (emotionally) attached to my airplanes. I can definitely relate to that dilemma. The Mustang here though, needs to be retired. Do as you wish Shug, but that's my suggestion. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 09:20:46 PM »
Don't feel too bad, Shug, I think most of us have done worse than that.  Take my new Peacemaker.  I finished it off, hung it on the wall (no longer having a local flying field), and finally got round to its maiden flight a couple of months later on a weekend away.  Fired up the engine, gave it one last control check, and took off.  Very nice so far.  Then it became apparent that I had no control over the model. It climbed up over my head, then buried itself in the ground at full speed, not far from where it started, while I stood there feeling sad and mystified.  On inspection, the pushrod was no longer attached to the control horn.  I normally either solder on a retainer, or use one of those spring retainers that Brodak sells. In this case, there was no evidence that there had ever been any sort of retainer at all, and the pushrod was free to depart the control horn at a time of its choosing.  I think it was that one last job that I hadn't got around to doing, and then totally forgot about.  Everything seemed to be working normally, and of course the control horn is out of sight and out of mind. Did I feel silly? Yes, I did.  Luckily the ground was soft, and the damage was limited to a broken Taipan needle and a bit of fuselage cracking.  I deserved far worse!

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 10:44:05 PM »
For whatever reason I'm as guilty as they come when it comes to getting (emotionally) attached to my airplanes. I can definitely relate to that dilemma. The Mustang here though, needs to be retired. Do as you wish Shug, but that's my suggestion. y1
Me and that Mustang done made friends........must make it fly one more time. If even just for sentimentl reasons. Then hang it in the Nut-Hut to live out it's days....

Don't feel too bad, Shug, I think most of us have done worse than that.  Take my new Peacemaker.  I finished it off, hung it on the wall (no longer having a local flying field), and finally got round to its maiden flight a couple of months later on a weekend away.  Fired up the engine, gave it one last control check, and took off.  Very nice so far.  Then it became apparent that I had no control over the model. It climbed up over my head, then buried itself in the ground at full speed, not far from where it started, while I stood there feeling sad and mystified.  On inspection, the pushrod was no longer attached to the control horn.  I normally either solder on a retainer, or use one of those spring retainers that Brodak sells. In this case, there was no evidence that there had ever been any sort of retainer at all, and the pushrod was free to depart the control horn at a time of its choosing.  I think it was that one last job that I hadn't got around to doing, and then totally forgot about.  Everything seemed to be working normally, and of course the control horn is out of sight and out of mind. Did I feel silly? Yes, I did.  Luckily the ground was soft, and the damage was limited to a broken Taipan needle and a bit of fuselage cracking.  I deserved far worse!

Such a small misstep leads to that moment of standing there feeling sad and mystified. I take it the Peacemaker has been resurrected since. Thanks for sharing your story.

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 08:14:40 AM »
Hi Shug
I've been mostly away and missed this. I have luckily avoided the empty feeling when the field suddenly goes sickly quiet after that awful crunch. I'll take this as a reminder to stay focused while pre-flighting my plane.

I saw your Nobler flight and it looks good. I'll be tuning up my trusty old backup Skyray for the trip to H'ville. Won't be long now.
Rusty

DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 08:53:58 PM »
Shug, glad I had seen this post before yesterday.  I was checking my lines and handle on my third flight and noticed the connector was not right at the handle.  Only one side of the clip still had the line attached.  That was corrected and I put the first flight on the Super Ringmaster.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 09:31:12 PM »
Hi Shug
I've been mostly away and missed this. I have luckily avoided the empty feeling when the field suddenly goes sickly quiet after that awful crunch. I'll take this as a reminder to stay focused while pre-flighting my plane.

I saw your Nobler flight and it looks good. I'll be tuning up my trusty old backup Skyray for the trip to H'ville. Won't be long now.
Rusty

You do not want that feeling. I still pine for the Mustang)))
My pre-flight is much more vigilant now for sure. Flew all day today and checked those clips every time!
Looking so forward to Huntersville. Room is booked.
The Nobler is getting there.....

Shug, glad I had seen this post before yesterday.  I was checking my lines and handle on my third flight and noticed the connector was not right at the handle.  Only one side of the clip still had the line attached.  That was corrected and I put the first flight on the Super Ringmaster.   
Whew...good you caught that. Easy to overlook.
Glad my misery was helpful to others.  :## :'(  We are all in this together.
Love to see that Super Ringmaster in action.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 12:22:33 AM »
I'm lucky, my #1 flying buddy Wayne is a retired FAA crash investigator. He has a methodical approach with zero variance to preflighting his plane, beginning at the nose and following a mental checklist that he follows through to the tail and control systems, and I've learned to habitually follow it. And sometimes I do find things that are in the early stages of trouble. On a couple of occasions, while launching for other less vigilant pilots I've had to shout and bring a pilot back to unkink his leadout clips. I check mine and pull the lines tight as I walk to the handle. I'll even get "reminded" if I ever get up and walk around the front of the plane after cranking. His electric protocol is very strict about maintaining hands-on and passing restraint between the two of us while the battery is plugged in, before and after a flight. Of course I believe that's all part of the AMA contest rules too.
Rusty

Re: Huntersville. I really want to try to get there Friday in time to watch 1/2A combat. I usually miss that but do get to watch Speed Limit on Saturday. It's pretty amazing but I want to see 1/2A up close. I hope I can maiden my first 1/2A wing up there. I have a Norvel .061 and an MP Jet .061 BB factory Race Special to try on it.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 02:48:25 PM »
Shug .... that plane isn't badly crashed .... You could repair that tonight and fly it tomorrow ... will gain some weight in the process but it could live to fly again.
Joe Daly

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 09:20:57 PM »
Shug .... that plane isn't badly crashed .... You could repair that tonight and fly it tomorrow ... will gain some weight in the process but it could live to fly again.
Already got the wings glued back on....the 'Stang will fly again!
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here