News:

• April 23, 2024, 12:58:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why all the raw castor  (Read 710 times)

Offline Michael Massey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Why all the raw castor
« on: September 08, 2014, 12:21:48 PM »
I have a lot of theories, but no facts.  How about you?

Put 1 LA46 on a profile, put another inside a built up fuse.  Same everything else including stock LA mufflers with no extra "stingers" installed.  At the end of a flight, the profile will have some oil on the plane, mostly behind the muffler but the built up fuse will have very large amounts of raw castor behind the muffler and covering the bottom of the fuse. 

I don't know why that should be unless it is strictly a function of air flow and surface area.  Anyone have any explanation?  (By the way, remember taking castor oil being a remedy?  Glad things have changed a bit.)
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Why all the raw castor
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »
Profile has a side-mounted engine, muffler outlet pointed down and on the outboard side of the fuselage. The propwash blows much of the exhaust down and away from the airplane.  Full fuselage has an inverted engine, muffler on the inboard side, prop wash blows the exhaust down but since it's on the inboard side and the propwash is spiraling counter-clockwise, the oil goes on the root of the inboard wing and spreads across the bottom of the fuselage.

A tuned pipe setup is much better for exhaust oil control. The oil is mostly limited to the fuselage aft of the pipe outlet and a little on the bottom of the stabalizer. I haven't found tuned pipes to be a gigantic hassle at all, but must also admit that I had no intention of using the pipe. I'd say that if you've decided that you're not going electric...and you don't crash anymore...go to the piped setup. I think a Profile Pathfinder with a .46LA or G.51 with a pipe would be awesome!  8) Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
Re: Why all the raw castor
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 02:14:19 PM »
How Bout a Pathfinder with an OS .46 RE on a pipe? (I've boosted the fuse to 3/4")!

W
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Advertise Here
Tags: Castor  heat  oil 

Advertise Here