News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:08:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Control-line fun fly at Embry-Riddle?  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Control-line fun fly at Embry-Riddle?
« on: September 05, 2014, 07:37:17 AM »
Now that I'm the President of the RC club at Embry-Riddle, I can begin to introduce more control-line to the club rather than doing a couple flights when we have fun flys.  I thought hosting a fly-in on the soccer fields on campus might be a good idea to get some more exposure out.

Before I begin going through the process of organizing it and choosing a day to host it, I was wondering how many people would show up and fly during the day.

Matt Colan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Control-line fun fly at Embry-Riddle?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 09:25:25 AM »
If it is on a weekend maybe quite a few.   During the week most people are still the working class and not old retirees like myself.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »

Depending on the date i can get two or three to come up from the Melbourne area, maybe one from Titusville
rad racer

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 10:42:33 AM »
Poll your club members to see if they'd be interested in instruction, and if so put out a call for people to bring trainers.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 01:34:16 PM »
Poll your club members to see if they'd be interested in instruction, and if so put out a call for people to bring trainers.

I know there's a couple interested in learning, like my roommate. I'll ask the question at the first club meeting next Thursday to see if it's worth purchasing a couple flite streaks and LA 25s for everyone to learn on.

Matt Colan

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 02:50:52 PM »
I would come for sure, if I am home on the date.
I can give you a couple 15-.25 size trainers, and have been tinkering with Coroplast plastic sign material to make a trainer like the old Guillows kits, profile fuse with crutch on the front so engine is upright. If I get it sorted out- I will send you the details.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 05:03:06 PM »
I would come for sure, if I am home on the date.
I can give you a couple 15-.25 size trainers, and have been tinkering with Coroplast plastic sign material to make a trainer like the old Guillows kits, profile fuse with crutch on the front so engine is upright. If I get it sorted out- I will send you the details.
     Bill I think a Coroplast Trainer based on the Guillows Trainer is an excellent idea. It was the first "big" airplane my dad put me on after the Cox PT-19. I just move into a new subdivision and there are a lot of kids here. They have already been eyeballing my collection. I think there is interest here. Please let me know what you come up with I may be interested in copying your design. Sorry for the thread drift. Mike
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 07:02:43 PM »
the Flight Streak is not a trainer ,it is a quick turning combat plane   a 15 on a Guillow's #2 trainer or copy is great
  the Brodak Streak trainer is good with a 15 if u beef up the fuse around the stab or keep quick super glue handy H^^ H^^
rad racer

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 07:18:54 PM »
Matt,

Do you have access to the wind tunnel?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 08:18:01 PM »
Matt,

Do you have access to the wind tunnel?

I don't. My roommate might, or will in the next couple semesters
Matt Colan

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 09:08:05 PM »
Hold it the first weekend in October and fly some Ringmasters for the 7th Annual Fly-A-Thon!!

See the attached file!
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 05:52:07 PM »
 a 15 on a Guillow's #2 trainer or copy is great.
I just inherited a kit for this one.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 08:25:44 PM »
The first club meeting is Thursday, and during that meeting I will ask the general members if they would like to help organize and run one.

I've already gotten PM's and emails from people who fly more than just stunt asking if they could attend. I think this might be a great way to get some more exposure to college kids and give them some training teaching them how to fly. I've also gotten a PM about possibly getting the fun fly sanctioned by the AMA as well which would be another plus...IF the members of the club want to take part in it.

Matt Colan

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Control-line fun fly at Embry-Riddle? (going to organize one)
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 07:20:04 PM »
Tonight at the first RC club meeting, about 35 people showed up, and during the meeting I asked if they are interested in learning how to fly CL and if they were interested in hosting a CL Fly-In. About 2/3 of them raised their hand in interest, so I'm going to go ahead and organize it.

The field we would fly at is big enough for two circles. I'm thinking one circle for training, and another one for everybody else to fly on.

In addition to people showing up to fly and spend a day at the field, I would also need people to help train the college kids who would be there that day, along with a couple trainers.  I could probably get Student Government to pay for one, maybe two, but I'm not sure if that would be enough to keep everyone flying during the day.

Matt Colan

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 08:02:13 PM »
Hold it the first weekend in October and fly some Ringmasters for the 7th Annual Fly-A-Thon!!

See the attached file!  our club will be holding our own RingMaster flyin on the first weekend of oct so that would leave us out Bob
rad racer

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 09:01:50 PM »
Hi Bob,

When I set a date, I want to make sure there aren't any events going on in the area that could keep possibly keep people from coming. I'd like to see as many CL flyers in the area as possible to show my friends at school just what CL is all about
Matt Colan

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 07:12:57 AM »
Matt,
I am in Jax this morning driving back to Orlando. I have a beat up Golberg Shoestring, an almost indestructible Fllite Streak Jr, and a stretched Sig Akromaster w/ O.S. .15 FP on it. I can drop them off on my way by if you are around. I will P.M. you my cell#.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here