News:

• April 23, 2024, 12:52:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine quitting - why?  (Read 910 times)

Offline Robertc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Engine quitting - why?
« on: September 01, 2014, 03:14:05 PM »
I now have two engines that will quit dead cold - like a plug being blown after 3-6 laps.  Very consistent.
I changed plugs, fuel, fuel line, NVA.  Nothing changes.  One engine is an old FP 40 and the other a LA 46.
The engines cut is very abrupt.  There is no change in engine speed.  One week, everything works perfect,
next week, this starts.  One engine started this about 7 weeks ago and the other this weekend.  Other engines
work fine.
Ideas?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Engine quitting - why?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 03:24:31 PM »
Stopped dead & stayed dead?  Or stopped dead and then restarted after cool-down?

Same plane?

What's the old & the new fuel?

Have you insulted anyone with the Evil Eye lately?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 03:30:09 PM »
Restarted no problem.  !0% Sig and the other was borrowed from a friend.  Don't remember exactly what it was. 
Different planes.  One is a profile and the other built up.  Evil eye, well, maybe??

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 07:12:03 PM »
I'd suspect the plug.  When plugs are run rich and then the plane quits by going lean, depending on the fuel and how llong/how lean, it can cause deposits on the coil. Adding Armorall or similar stuff can make it worse.  It may start to run ragged first.  Eventually it won't stay running when  the starter is removed removed.

Another contributor can be moisture in the fuel.  On a hot, humid day I've seen a half full gallon jug go from great to barely runnable in a couple hours because the guy left the lid off.
phil Cartier

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 07:18:10 PM »
what plug you running?
Steve

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 08:30:37 PM »
Same fuel filter? Same muffler? Some have reported such strangeness from coked-up mufflers or glazed over filter screens that look clean, but don't flow enough/long enough. I hope I'd just run a whole tankful on the ground and see if the same thing happens, tho it wouldn't pinpoint anything in particular. Could indicate a flake of solder or something inside the fuel tank, perhaps? I'd take note of the run time. :X Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here