News:

• April 24, 2024, 06:50:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CF From China  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral

Offline WLGeorge

• Lieutenant
Re: CF From China
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 09:45:48 PM »
No, but if you need a translator, i have one.  Her chinese is excellent, its the English she has problems with.  Try them and see and let us know.  I wouldnt send vast sums of money but 20 bucks i might risk.  Having been there quite a bit i will tell you if they screw you over the government will do nothing. Ebay might. What is their ebay rating?

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:26:06 AM »
Pretty sure that is the seller I bought a sheet from and if it is then the signature 'woven' cloth is on one side only and one layer deep - the rest of the board appears to cast from a fine grained ...... powder for want of a better word.

I am not the expert on carbon but it appears to my untrained eye to be a layer of carbon topping with something other underneath.

And not as stiff as I would have expected.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Online qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 02:42:28 AM »
Has anyone bought any CF products from one of these Chinese outfits on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-200-300-2mm-With-100-Real-Carbon-Fiber-plate-panel-sheet-3K-plain-weave-G9-/151364181213?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item233e021cdd

MM

Yes, I've bought it from them on ebay a few times (At least I think it was them). It's good for my purposes. Seems durable enough for bellcranks, diesel fuel tanks bases etc. Took about a month to turn up, but that's ok seeing it's post free.

I've also bought similar sheets from Hobbyking, and it's been good stuff as well.

It's just carbon fibre cloth impregnated with epoxy resin under heat pressure.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:08:48 AM by qaz049 »

Joe Just

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 10:28:46 AM »
I bought one of these carbon pieces and find it very good for the use I have for it.  So far I have used it for motor mount support as the plane I am building needed a deeper hole to place the engine into. When drilled there is a "powder" that comes out of the drilled hole, but in tests the small 1/4 x 2" with two drilled holes has proven to remain extreme strong.  As I build my own 3-line bell cranks I plan on using this material for that purpose.
Joe

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 11:13:06 AM »
Just pulled the trigger on some 1/16th plate. They say it comes out of Kentucky and will be here Fri. Looks like the real deal stuff from Dragon Plate is on sale for more than 3x the price. http://dragonplate.com/ecart/product.asp?pID=3643&cID=67

MM

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 05:22:31 PM »
Has anyone bought any CF products from one of these Chinese outfits on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-200-300-2mm-With-100-Real-Carbon-Fiber-plate-panel-sheet-3K-plain-weave-G9-/151364181213?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item233e021cdd

MM

The description is pretty clear "100% Real Carbon Fiber plate/panel" means a layer of carbon fiber cloth for a display panel.  "/sheet 3K plain weave G9" is 1 layer less than G10, and presumably the G9 part was laid up with black colored epoxy.  Even BMW uses the CF mainly for display, backed up by cheaper material.  G10 glass in more than strong enough for anything we do.  If you want it to be lighter and stronger it needs to be all carbon.  In that case follow Brett Bucks lead and laminate up an endgrain laminate with 50-60 gram. carbon cloth.
phil Cartier

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 06:51:07 AM »
So you're saying it's fiberglass cloth with one layer of CF?

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 04:38:21 PM »
So you're saying it's fiberglass cloth with one layer of CF?
That would be my interpretation of what I have in hand, decorative single sided CF and to me at least the the description product for sale is very unclear.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 06:35:44 PM »
Oh well, maybe I'll make a cool pick guard out of it.

MM

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here