News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:48:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NASCAR Fan  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
NASCAR Fan
« on: August 29, 2014, 12:50:23 PM »

As a fan of NASCAR I watched Tony Stewart's emotional return to Atlanta to race this weekend.
 I could see the pain in his face and hear it in his voice, I sure hope that something like that never happens again, and I hope and pray for a full recovery for all of the folks involved in this tragedy.

May God Bless them all...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: NASCAR Fan
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 01:13:10 PM »
I would have thought he would quit racing or at least for the rest of the season but a couple of weeks and he's over it?

MM

Offline roger gebhart

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 01:38:28 PM »
he's not over it Nor will he ever be.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 02:26:45 PM »
When something like that happens you never get over it.  I am happy he is going to still race and I hope people will back him a little.   The young man who died would still be with us if he had used a little common sense.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 04:07:16 PM »
   I think he's going about just right. If you have never done any kind of racing on a regular basis at any kind of level, you might not understand what he's going through. To some that believe he hit him on purpose, or was trying to "buzz" him, they don't know what they are talking about. Stewart has a lot more experience that a lot of people know or understand, and this may be the first time he was personally involved in something like this, but probably not the first time he has seen someone hit by a race car or killed on the track. Even with all of his NASCAR experience, it probably doesn't come close to the number of hours and laps he's put in short track sprints, midgets and champ-dirt cars. It is something that you truly do get in your blood. I have been thinking if he didn't get back into a car soon, he might never do it again. I read witness accounts that said it sounded like he hit the gas right before the impact. These cars have very little effective brakes, more or less intended to stop the car in the pits. The chassis set up is such that turning the wheel in the direction you want to go has little or no effect at certain speeds, you have to goose the gas pedal to get the car to change direction. The term often used is "steering the car with the gas pedal" and that is exactly what you do. With the wing and side body set up, you have very little visibilty to the right side of the car, and couple that with the dark shadows and the black driver suit, I don't think Tony ever saw him until the impact. (This is where the practice of wearing white pants at a race track started, trying to add to a person's visibilty) Probably the last thing Tony would think of was that someone would get out of their car and be up-track from him at that point, and that close that soon after the spin. I don't think that Tony could have done anything different, but you probably couldn't tell him that now. The other driver has some responsibilty in this event. I watch all kinds of racing and can't believe how many drivers get out of their cars after crashes, for what ever reason. If it ain't on fire, that is the safest place in the world for you. And whether it's model airplanes or racing, I try to NEVER turn my back to any kind of action going on. I'm very sorry for the victim's family, and very sorry for Tony Stewart. There is a line in the movie "LeMans" where Steve McQueen tells another driver's wife, "This is a dangerous buisness, and it can happen to you." But then again, so is getting in the family car and driving to work, these days. You mourn those who have died, pray for the survivors, and move on doing the best you can.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 06:19:51 PM »
Tony Stewart made it to the big leagues - NASCAR Sprint Cup.  He was an advertizing gold mine.
He was a fool to dabble in small time dirt track.  Now he's damaged goods - advertizing-wise.  Even if he can still drive competatively, sponsers won't feel he's a good role model.

This is a lesson the the big boys.  Steer clear in small time racing.  Give the kids a chance.
Paul Smith

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 06:25:20 PM »

Practically all NASCAR drivers cut their teeth from a young age on the dirt track circles, that's how they got where they are. Many of them still compete regularly on the "small stage" too. While the Stewart accident was a tragedy, it happens, and every driver out there knows it's a possibility every time they strap in. Bottom line in this one is the kid shouldn't have been dancing around on the racetrack. D>K

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 06:36:38 PM »
". . . Bottom line in this one is the kid shouldn't have been dancing around on the racetrack."
====================================================

AMEN!!!

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 06:42:55 PM »
I still think it's a little too early for business as usual but, money talks I guess. I've read enough about him to know he's no angel.

MM

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 06:58:11 PM »
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that Sprint Cars (I assume also Midgets and Quarter Midgets) only have one front brake...on the left, to make it turn left...and two rear brakes, which will tend to make it go straight. And then, braking front/rear bias is adjustable to help setup the car from the driver's seat. If the bias isn't fine tuned yet (it gets tweeked during the race), then the car could do something unexpected, either left, right, or straight. Tony probably knew what to do better than even the media. Duh!

IIRC, during Richard Petty's short stint in drag racing, he had the flywheel break loose and kill a spectator. It didn't stop The King and didn't make him tainted goods to the sponsors. I believe that was said to be in Spokane, WA, wherever the heck that is. Was that in nearby Deer Park, close to the WSR? That's where the dragstrip is/was, at the Deer Park airport. H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 01:55:52 AM »
Tony Stewart made it to the big leagues - NASCAR Sprint Cup.  He was an advertizing gold mine.
He was a fool to dabble in small time dirt track.  Now he's damaged goods - advertizing-wise.  Even if he can still drive competatively, sponsers won't feel he's a good role model.

This is a lesson the the big boys.  Steer clear in small time racing.  Give the kids a chance.

I still think it's a little too early for business as usual but, money talks I guess. I've read enough about him to know he's no angel.

MM

Well, I don't agree. He's far from damaged goods, because so far there is no proof he did anything wrong. If there were charges to be filed, I think they would have done that by now. And racing on the side is something that he has always done, and one of the main reasons he started his own NASCAR team, so he could be like his hero, A.J. Foyt. This way he can race what he wants when he wants when he's not working at his "regular job" on the weekends. Trust me, and Tony would probably tell you this also, there are a ton of drivers out there that are capable of beating him week in and week out running on those little bull rings, and that is one of the challenges and reasons he does it. He wears his sponsors colors and adds on his cars at the smaller tracks also, so it's more bang for the sponsor buck. Kenny Shraeder has been doing this for years, and like Stewart was one of his life long dreams, being able to race what you want , when you want. Even though they both made a success in NASCAR, there are still dirt track dreams and goals that they both would like to reach. There are many long time, prestigious races like the Chili Bowl and the Knoxville Nationals that Tony would love to win, not for the money, but to have his name included with other great drivers. The biggest smile I think I ever saw on Stewart's face was the night he won the Turkey Night midget race in Southern, California. Most people have never heard of that race, but it has been going on for a LONG time and any die hard race fan would recognize the names on the winners list.
   Tony Stewart has the reputation for being high strung and overly intense, but if you have followed the sport during his career, you would know he's not as hot tempered and short fused as he used to be. There was one incident that knocked him down several pegs and changed his outlook on life. He was dealing with the aftermath of one of his temper outburst, and some other dealings that had him down and frustrated with life in general and was talking about it in the garage at a race. Mike Wallace pulled him aside and had a little talk with him. Mike Wallace is the younger brother of Rusty Wallace, and Mike was running in Cup regularly at the time. Mike told Tony of a situation he was dealing with. He was backing his race car hauler into his driveway after running a race at a small track outside of NASCAR, and didn't see his you son Mikey leave the house and run in the path of the trailer. His son was struck and run over by the trailer and tragically killed. I can't imagine anything more terrible that a person could go through than something like that. It has been said that " Joe and J.D. Gibbs, three psychiatrists,and several therapists couldn't get through to Tony like Mike Wallace did that day." I saw a live interview on TV at a race a few weeks later, where the announcer asked Tony about the visible change in the way he went about his business and his better attitude, and Tony just mentioned that he had a conversation with Mike Wallace that helped him see things much better. That all didn't get a lot of coverage in the press, not like a temper tantrum will. I think he'll find his way through this and will be a success again. He'll be paying a high price for it for the rest of his life. I expect him to take responsibility and reach out the the Ward family in some way to express his sorrow and personal grief. It's something that he'll get better about, but never get over.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 04:30:27 AM »
he's not over it Nor will he ever be.
Exactly...I'm still struggling over things I saw and did in vietnam. But I never ran up to a booby trap and grabbed it by the corner; or I probably wouldn't be here at all. H^^
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 07:54:15 AM »
Dan thanks for your posts on this subject

Many years ago I was one of the Army guys posting the colors at a NASCAR race. When that task was done we each were invited to "hang out" for the weekend with a driver. I was invited to Tony Stewart's pit and had an exceptional time meeting him and his crew. I was very successful as a NCO in the Army, a lot because I learned early how to read and understand people, making me real good at motivating them to be a team and get crap done.

Your take on Tony is spot on and I don't have any thing to add to your assessment and perspective on his "bad boy/hot head" history.

Many folks don't understand the level of pressure and adrenaline the NASCAR drivers (all professional competitors) manage each weekend. Tony Stewart is no more and no less intense as any of the other pro drivers were/are at some point in their careers

Grin, I have followed NASCAR for over forty years and seen a lot of the drivers "melt down" on occasion
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Phillip Kenney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 10:48:35 AM »
From what I have read, the drivers at the local tracks enjoy having the likes of Tony Stewart show up. It gives them a chance to race against the best. Similar to the Sprint Cup drivers racing on Sat in the Nationwide series. It allows the younger drivers to learn from the pro's.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »
To try and justifly reasons why ANY driver should avoid all but "the big races" is pure nonsense. If you've ever raced, you would understand the drive (no pun intended) to race any and all chances you get!  Tony is not racing just for the money, he races for the love of the competition, just like all the rest.
Dan is spot on, and what he's said can most likely apply to all the drivers in the garages in all the classes.  Next we'll read that "They don't do it", but that just means they don't have the burning passion to go that he and those others who do so are enjoying.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 03:07:06 PM »
Thank you Dan, and everyone else who spoke up for Tony Stewart.

The reason some might not understand what happened during that tragic event, is because they have never been running wide open down the straight of a dirt track on the very edge of disaster. Control is the key word here, and there is precious little of that on a dirt surface.

The degree of concentration on other vehicles during a race just about blocks out everything else. By the time Stewart may have seen a man in a dark suit standing on the track (exactly where he should never have been during a race) his choices were clear. Attempt to keep the car under control, or spin out and endanger everyone behind him. Spinning out at that point would not have helped the other driver, and could very well have caused other injuries in the resulting pileup.

Best wishes, support, and Prayers for all involved!

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Guy B Jr

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 11:00:27 PM »
Dan,

Congrats on a well reasoned and factual account of what really happens on the track.

I tinkered with dirt track amateur cars in the late 1950's and decided that I had better stick to drag racing. The track is way too dangerous for me.
Guy Blankinship

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 01:11:04 AM »
Dan,

Congrats on a well reasoned and factual account of what really happens on the track.

I tinkered with dirt track amateur cars in the late 1950's and decided that I had better stick to drag racing. The track is way too dangerous for me.

Hey Guy;
    Sprint car racing is a lot like drag racing, except you have to turn left at the end of the strip instead of hitting the kill switch, and do it over and over for 30 to 50 laps! I like drag racing also, a completely different animal with it's own attraction. But the drivers and team do it for much the same reason, especially at the grass roots level. Some just get lucky and make the big time. For every Tony Stewart and Cruz Pedrigon, there are many drivers with the skills to match, but time, money, desire and other factors hold them back. Some of the local racers may complain and call it "cherry picking" but nothing can be further from the truth. I have heard NASCAR Nationwide teams say the same thing. NASCAR finally placated them by ruling that a driver can't run for more than one season championship.
    I have never met Tony Stewart, but my late younger brother Jim did on a few occasions before Tony made it big in Indy cars.  My brother lived in Atlanta and knew a guy that had a race machine shop in Indy for a lot of years and knew Tony's family. He got out of Indy racing and moved his operation to Atlanta, and ran a midget in the southeast that Tony would drive for him from time to time. One night after a race near Atlanta, Tony was looking for a ride to the airport so he could get to his next race. That is what a lot of these guys do, run anything they can, where ever they can, to get experience and make contacts in hopes of getting better rides. My brother spoke up and said he was going that way and would give him a ride. The car owner pulled Jim aside and told him that Tony was just starting to get noticed and was working his way up the ladder and could use a little "grounding" to keep his head in the right place. He told Jim to just take him as far as the MARTA station (Atlanta's rapid transit system) because the airport was really out of Jim's way. So that is what Jim did. Stewart was only dressed in a T-shirt, cut-off jeans, running shoes and only had his gear bag  with him. He realized that he didn't have any cash, and asked Jim to borrow 5 bucks for the train fair, and Jimmy happily provided it to him, and Tony said thanks a lot. Not long after, Stewart made the leap to Indy and the rest is history. If I ever get the opportunity to meet him in person, I plan to ask him about the incident, and ask him for my brother's 5 bucks back, only I intend to also ask him to autograph it!!!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 09:08:06 PM »
Something else I thought about, just today, was the Kyle Larson wreck at his first Daytona Nationwide race, only 1.5 years ago. The engine and a wheel/tire and some suspension parts went into the crowd and injured 28 people. Nobody ever said anything bad about Kyle Larson, and I haven't heard much about it. But nobody died. At least one person was in pretty serious condition afterwards.

Just last night, there was a traffic 'accident' on Hwy.99 in the Midway area. My wife was telling me that a truck was stopped behind a bus, the bus stopped and started several times, so the truck pulled around the bus. Just in time to run over a family of four that were crossing at least 5 lanes of traffic in the middle of the block. One died, a teenage girl, and the others injured. The truck driver has my sympathy. Those people weren't supposed to be crossing there. We see pedestrians (and bicycle riders) doing illegal stuff on a daily basis. Point is, you can't fix stupid.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 11:56:40 AM »
I'll wait for the investigation to be over.

MM
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:25:39 PM by Motorman »

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 12:21:45 PM »
Hey y'all....Danica Patrick came in 6th place last night!  ;D ;D ;D     LL~ LL~ LL~     S?P
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline roger gebhart

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 05:36:35 PM »
Might b time to close this one. Opinions have been stated and thats about all the good can come of it.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 11:46:25 AM »
Hey Tony is back even though his day ended early.  I was fortunate enough to be at the local Lakeside Speedway of KCK when it was a paved surface and Tony was running the midget.  He won two years in a row.   Years later got to meet him at the local Home Depot and get his autograph.   I have also been fortunate enough to meet some of the stars that race at what is now a dirt track.   Since covering the pavement with dirt there is more cars and more spectators.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here