News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:07:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hobbyking film v Oracover  (Read 3141 times)

Offline kiwibrit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Hobbyking film v Oracover
« on: August 26, 2014, 03:45:45 AM »
Oracover is expensive.
Oracover is very good - goes on nicely and is strong.

Hobby King film is cheap.
Any problems applying it on an open framework?
Is it as strong as Oracover?  I am thinking of covering a Cardinal with it.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Hobbyking film v Oracover
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 11:38:08 PM »
as far as a side by side comparison, i don't know. but a friend of mine bought some hobby king stuff, and I'm building him a plane. it works really nice and applies similar to ultrakote. i remember i like oracover, but its been a while since i used it last.

Offline Bill Burton

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 08:36:06 PM »
I have used the stuff from Hobby King and it is kind of a crap shoot.  I have good stuff and I have had two rolls that would not shrink properly. I have found for economical shrink covering, Towerkote works best for me.

BB

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 07:11:33 AM »
Many of the R/C Forums have Threads about the different brands of film covering. Comparing features/benefits, good, bag and the ugly.

All I ever used is UltraCote and MonoKote. I consider both products a winning game for what they are being used for.

A choice one has to make for the model, and the time, plus materials used in it.

This Waco. I wish I never used film on it.

This small recovering job, I have to use UltraCote because of the color.

I've always liked UltraCote because you can remove wrinkles with heat quit easily. Or, in my case, sloppy work.

Choose wisely.

Edited for sp. Added a "w" to rinkles.  n~
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 11:54:29 AM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:56:19 PM »
I've used hobbyking film on an electric sailplane, and over the course of two years, it's slowly lifitng at the corners. I should point out that in in 2 years I've never bothered to get near it with a heat gun or an iron.

A friend of mine has covred a glow powered trainer, and he was dilligent with cleanup, and it still looks good after about a years flying.

I would not hesitate to use it on an electric, but I'd probably err on the side of Oracover/Ultracote for a glow model.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Advertise Here

Advertise Here