News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:54:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Subscribe to Aeromodeller  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Subscribe to Aeromodeller
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:42:12 PM »
With the passing of flying Models, several have expressed interest in Aeromodeller.  In the USA one can get six issues for 45 pounds, or 12 issues for 90 pounds.  A pound being worth about $1.655.  It is not cheap, but I have thought every issue better than the previous one.  One can subscribe online at www.aeromodeller.com and pay with secure credit card or PayPal.  I think it is also available online.

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
Re: Subscribe to Aeromodeller
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 10:22:42 PM »
I subscribe to Aeromodeller and I get it on my ipad. It's great. I can read it anywhere and I always have all the issues with me (saved on the iPad). If I am at the field or at a comp or whatever and we are talking about something I can easily refer to the mag as it's on my ipad. Whereas it would be unlikely that I have the magazines in my car.

The online version is cheaper too, and you can still get the freebie plans and other bits online as they give you an address to go to.

Cheers
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline kiwibrit

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 06:50:48 AM »
It's been getting better with each issue - Andrew Boddington, the editor, seems to be finding his feet.  Soon coming out monthly, I believe.  Here's a shot (taken last Saturday evening at the BMFA Nationals)  of Andrew flying a model scaled down from drawings in a 50s Aeromodeller Annual, powered by a .5cc Boddo special.  It's nice to see the tradition of the editor being very much a practicing flier.

Don't worry, CL is well represented in the latest issue - with articles on electro conversion of a Cardinal (part 3), the Darley Moore Combat international, a long letter form a reader on vintage speed, and also a visit to the Enya factory.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:24:02 AM »
Hello Jim,
You are quite correct, the Aeromodeller is getting better and better by the issue. The last issue was fascinating, wide subject matter and a peek into the Enya factory. OK it isn't cheap, but worth every penny ....... er , I mean cent!

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 09:48:18 AM »
A quick check of the current exchange rate shows 75GBP to be $124.29 and 90 GBP to be $149.14.
I really would not support any periodical on anything for that price. I buy the Wall street Journal and consider that a bargain.
It's all relevant I guess, but hobby magazines have lost their allure to me after 60 years of loyally supporting a lot of them that are no longer here.

Dennis

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 04:38:15 PM »
I think the price is a bit higher than we are used to, in England £30 for 6 issues. But I suspect for you guys outside Britain, you are paying mostly for post cost. Post has gone out of all proportion these days.
I agree so far each issue of Aeromod has been better than the previous one.
Sad to see FM go.  :'(
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 05:08:34 PM »
I think the price is a bit higher than we are used to, in England £30 for 6 issues. But I suspect for you guys outside Britain, you are paying mostly for post cost. Post has gone out of all proportion these days.
I agree so far each issue of Aeromod has been better than the previous one.
Sad to see FM go.  :'(

That's still $58.00 for 6 issues of a Magazine.  Your British guys must be a lot richer than us poor American Cousins!  LL~

You're right about the cost of postage.  It's become quite a burden for businesses as well as private individuals.

Randy Cuberly

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 01:53:20 AM by Randy Cuberly »
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline kiwibrit

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 05:54:28 PM »
.....Your British guys must be a lot richer than us poor American Cousins!  .....

I used to wait eagerly for the latest Aeromodeller to arrive in the library in Christchurch New Zealand back in the 50s and 60s. I carried on reading it when I got to England - heck, once I even wrote an article for it.  There is tremendous loyalty for it over here - and Andrew Boddingotn has responded with something really worth reading - though tailored most of all to a British audience, I suppose.

Offline Kev Morgan

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 01:52:08 AM »
Hi All
I am fairly sure that the last time I was in a Barnes and Noble I saw AM right there on the stand?
Cheers
Kevin

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 02:07:44 AM »
I was in the Army (American) in the 1960's and on a NATO Assignment in Malta GC, for 5 years.  I flew Control Line with a group of guys from the RAF stationed at Luqua RAF station (I flew mostly combat in those days).  They used to have regular flights from Malta to the UK and always managed to bring copies of Aero Modeler Magazine back to Malta each month.  I was given a copy of Aero Modeler courtesy of the RAF each month and really enjoyed the magazine.  When I came back to the states I was unable to get a subscription sent to me there...don't remember why, just that there was a problem...of course I went off the Viet Nam shortly after returning to the States and didn't have much opportunity to read or fly Model airplanes tramping through the jungle every day.

It would be nice to see the old magazine survive and thrive. 

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Luiz Carlos Franco

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 11:40:43 AM »
Hi All
I am fairly sure that the last time I was in a Barnes and Noble I saw AM right there on the stand?
Cheers
Kevin

You´re absolutely correct. Go to the Aeromodeller site (link above), click on  the "shop" tag on the tool bar and you will have access to a search engine that will find the nearest B&N stockist for you.

Regards

Luiz

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 05:57:27 PM »
It's  not the old Aeromodeller, and it is expensive here.

But...

It's great to hear it is improving. I have almost 50 years of Aeromodeller, not all months, but quite a few. I even have several Ian Allen Model Aircraft. After the brief appearance of 'that other' recent Brit mag, I was leery.

Maybe, finally, I'll get back to AM.

BTW, Randy, I was able to connect for a sub sometime in the late 1970's, and stuck with it until the knees collapsed. In Germany, several news-stands carried AM, as well as two mags which published several of Claus Maikis' stunt designs. Despite the true, if stereotytped, preference of German model flyers for the latest obscure "scientific" stuff, there was space for Claus' features. (I can still read enough German to appreciate his fine writings. Check out his  - English -website...)

I really miss the UK site recently laid down to rest. (Name will occur to me soon, but not soon enough. Tony featured CL model mag articles in one 'catalog' and engine tests, both from AM and IAMA in another.)

Another Anglophile site of possible interest is Zoe's. Scanned copies of the full monthly edition of one or more old AM and IAMA every month. Currently from early 1960's or sometime during the the '50s. I can provide the actual url, if I remember to...

History can be interesting, if sometimes embarassing....
\BEST\LOU

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 11:13:36 PM »
OK, first up is Zoe's at http://www.fuelsoaked.me.uk/
From there you can click on the link to magazines at the top or go directly from http://www.fuelsoaked.me.uk/magazine/magazine.html

Each month Zoe has 3 new scans, new ones as html and last months as a zip file.

Next step is to go to Colin Usher's site where he collects all of Zoe's monthly zip files into one place.
http://www.colinusher.info/Model%20Aircraft/images.html

The defunct site would be iroquois online (or something similar) but I managed to find it with the Wayback machine and saved all the engine tests into my list of tests at http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Index.html

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 07:22:45 AM »
Folks:

Dave Day's 'Iroquois' website has been resurrected at: http://www.ooobopshibam.webspace.virginmedia.com/ and appears to be active.  Certainly a valuable resource.

Regards
John
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »
 I have been buying the new Aeromodeler at a mall book store called Books-A-Million. They only get three or four copies, so I have to watch the calender close so I don't miss out. It's 12 bucks a copy on the news stand. If they don't revive Flying Models, I'll subscribe to Aeromodeler. Might just subscribe anyway just to take the guess work out of it.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 08:38:02 PM »

Dave Day's 'Iroquois' website has been resurrected....
Ah yes, that's the one with all the Merco information. The defunct site I was thinking about with old Aeromodeller engine tests was Annette Elmore's site.

Offline Bob Matiska

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 01:13:37 PM »
Thanks for all the information about Aeromodeller! I enjoyed many copies when I was stationed there during my Air Force career and was happy to read that it's available at Barnes & Noble. I visited our local store and really liked what I saw, except for the price tag - $11.99! I gulped and pulled out a twenty and to the checkout I went. Very good magazine.

I just fired up our iPad and signed up for a subscription for a much more reasonable price, less than 5 bucks an issue. What a deal!

Bob in NEPA
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:32:13 PM by Bob Matiska »
AMA 56267

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 05:32:19 PM »
Thanks for all the information about Aeromodeller! I enjoyed many copies when I was stationed there during my Air Force career and was happy to read that it's available at Barnes & Noble. I visited our local store and really liked what I saw, except for the price tag - $11.99! I gulped and pulled out a twenty and to the checkout I went. Very good magazine.

I just fired up our iPad and signed up for a subscription for a much more reasonable price, less than 5 bucks an issue. What a deal!

Bob in NEPA

You mean for less than 9 bucks an issue? A two year subscription is 60 pounds, and that works out to 5 pounds an issue. Using Jim's $1.65 valuation, that's $8.25 an issue. Still a savings, and I'll be subscribing also.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Bob Matiska

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 03:35:09 PM »
A  12 month subscription of the digital version is $25.99 and with the magazine being bi-monthly, that's $4.33 a copy. Not bad. I just got my email receipt and there was $1.56 in Pa. sales tax, so it's $4.66 a copy. And yes, those are dollar signs, not Pound or Euro signs, if anyone is wondering.

Bob in NEPA
AMA 56267

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 06:04:01 PM »
I did get the magazine years ago. Great magazine! Worth all the money.

Tossed dozens because no one would take them for free. Sold the remaining on ebay because because others were selling them.

Here's some of the magazine covers. If you're not farmiliar with the Mag, you won't regret a subscription.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 12:01:59 PM »
Aeromodeller is now monthly.  They think they are being successful, and that is good news. 

Offline Bob Matiska

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 07:17:43 PM »
I just downloaded the November issue on my iPad. One great article after another! I hope they can keep it up.

Bob in NEPA
AMA 56267

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here