News:

• April 17, 2024, 06:23:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ted Goyet Highlights  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Heman Lee

• AeroManiacs
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
    • AeroManiacs
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 01:28:33 PM by Heman Lee »

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
Re: Ted Goyet Highlights
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 12:20:20 PM »
Thanks for the videos. It looks like a great time.  I would love to make a west coast contest again someday.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 01:41:51 PM »
Thanks, a lot, for the videos!  It's always fun to see some of the best flying.  I would love to get to a West Coast event while I am young!  ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 02:49:22 PM »
Thanks for the videos.  I've been privileged to have seem most of these guys fly at VSC and the NATS.   For those wanting to improve in their stunt watch the pilots in the videos and not the plane.   Yes a couple look like they are having chest pains, but I guess it keeps them from waving the free arm all over. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 08:46:39 PM »
Really enjoyed watching these today. Like the close up of the fliers as it is interesting to see handle styles and movement and what the empty arm does.
Watching Brett Buck was nice...that plane turns so smooth with his inputs.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 09:28:05 PM »
Really enjoyed watching these today. Like the close up of the fliers as it is interesting to see handle styles and movement and what the empty arm does.
Watching Brett Buck was nice...that plane turns so smooth with his inputs.
Shug

Thanks!  The flight looked a bit better from the outside than it did from the inside. My goal of making straight lines straight seems to be working pretty well. I also got a better score than I expected, so, what do I know?

You will note from the shots from the front that the maneuvers are straight into the sun, In fact, I was using the sun as the intersection and height marker (since it was about 55 degrees, so I went about 10 feet below the sun) and closing my eyes in the round maneuvers. The bottoms in particular looked really high when I was flying, but they really aren't way out of bounds - not great but not fatal, either.  I can see why Dave beat me, however.

Brett

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 09:31:49 PM »
   Thanks!  The flight looked a bit better from the outside than it did from the inside. My goal of making straight lines straight seems to be working pretty well. I also got a better score than I expected, so, what do I know?

You will note from the shots from the front that the maneuvers are straight into the sun, In fact, I was using the sun as the intersection and height marker (since it was about 55 degrees, so I went about 10 feet below the sun) and closing my eyes in the round maneuvers. The bottoms in particular looked really high when I was flying, but they really aren't way out of bounds - not great but not fatal, either.  I can see why Dave beat me, however.

Brett
Seems often to be the case from some of the clib ,embers i have taped and shown them. Either they thing the video shows their pattern to be better than how they felt flying or visa-versa. It is interesting.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 09:48:15 PM »
Seems often to be the case from some of the clib ,embers i have taped and shown them. Either they thing the video shows their pattern to be better than how they felt flying or visa-versa. It is interesting.

Video shows some aspects pretty well, and others not so well. Depends on what kind of mistakes you are looking for. For instance, the corners inside squares on this flight were pretty horrific, but you can't see it here.

What I can see of the hourglass shape/intersection looks really good, just like the drawings I put in Stunt News. Can't see if the top is parallel or not, but it couldn't have been too far off, since the descending leg looks like a very good angle.

Brett
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:49:23 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Shawn Lenci

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
I had a great time flying on Sunday.  The field looked great and the weather was perfect.  I want to thank Walt Ghio, Pete Cunha, and Doug Barton for all the hard work they do putting on these contests for us as well as all the judges.  I know it is a a lot of work and I really appreciate all their efforts.  Thanks to Heman as well for documenting the weekend and putting the nice videos together.

My 2nd flight on Sunday was a real turning point in my stunt flying "career", so much so that I had a hard time sleeping that night.  I had David Fitzgerald and Brian Moore judging me and scored the highest flight I have ever scored. David F. gave me some great words of encouragement and excellent pointers on how to improve my flying down the road.  I really appreciated what he had to say.  We are very lucky to have flyers of David's, Brett's, Ted's, and Jim's caliber out here on the West coast flying with us and helping us to improve.  Where else can you go and have the guy that just won the NATS last month helping you to become a better stunt flyer?  Thank you David for all your advice and encouragement.

Looking forward to next months Meet 'n Meat! ;D

Shawn
AMA 97686

Offline Heman Lee

• AeroManiacs
  • Lieutenant
    • AeroManiacs
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 12:25:54 AM »
  Video shows some aspects pretty well, and others not so well. Depends on what kind of mistakes you are looking for. For instance, the corners inside squares on this flight were pretty horrific, but you can't see it here.

Brett

Finally I figured out how to use the manually focus so you don't see the in and out focus when the model passes the camera.
In general, it's very hard to shoot CL stunt.  I can not see the model in a 2" LCD viewfinder so I have to guess the framing.  That weekend was particularly difficult due to either 'no wind' or 'changing wind directions' - so it was very difficult to anticipate getting directly downwind.  If I am not directly behind, perspective added by lens distortion makes it hard to judge a maneuvers on video screen.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 01:01:16 AM »
Finally I figured out how to use the manually focus so you don't see the in and out focus when the model passes the camera.
In general, it's very hard to shoot CL stunt.  I can not see the model in a 2" LCD viewfinder so I have to guess the framing.  That weekend was particularly difficult due to either 'no wind' or 'changing wind directions' - so it was very difficult to anticipate getting directly downwind.  If I am not directly behind, perspective added by lens distortion makes it hard to judge a maneuvers on video screen.

Oh, don't get me wrong, you didn't mess it up and I am not complaining. This has been a problem with every stunt video ever made. It's pretty good for capturing the overall shapes. What it can't do very well is show the small deviations of attitude and translational position that make most of the differences that are frequently the deciding factor in these sort of close contests. A lot of the guys use video extensively and then are frustrated by their contest scores when they can't see what they are doing wrong. This is true even with 1080p. The eye can selectively see small areas or gross characteristics at the same time, like an instant zoom lens, but the camera can't.

In the flight above, the gross aspects of shapes were pretty well illustrated, but things like the shape errors in and out of the corners (which were quite obvious on the flight shown above and it was one of the worst flights I had done in a contest in a long time, probably since the 2007 NATs or maybe 2012 Golden State) were not really detectable. It was sure easy to see it in person.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here