News:

• April 23, 2024, 02:08:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: a SIG has died  (Read 1916 times)

Offline david beazley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
a SIG has died
« on: August 19, 2014, 09:16:07 AM »
Not Sig Manufacturing but an AMA Special Interest Group is calling it quits.
I received the following from the IMAA last night (the giant scale RC SIG)
While it doesn't directly affect the CL community, it none the less, has an impact on modeling in general.

To our valued IMAA members,

For the first time in its 34 year history, the IMAA is facing a serious financial challenge – a challenge grave enough that we must cease publication of both the print edition, and the digital edition, after this Fall issue of HighFlight Magazine.

IMAA is a non-profit organization and, as such, relies on member dues and donations to operate. Over the years, IMAA membership has slowly declined. At the same time, print and production costs have steadily increased so that the print version of the magazine has consumed more and more of our resources.
This Fall issue will now have to be the last printed version that we produce. The digital edition will also be released as scheduled,through the NXTBook.com server. 
HighFlight Magazine has been the only publication available exclusively devoted to giant scale news, technical information, and product reviews. The IMAA Board and Officers have worked hard to find a resolution to the challenges we faced, but the bottom line is that we simply do not have the funds to continue.
In years past, the Board has made every effort to make IMAA membership, and HighFlight Magazine as affordable as possible.  It appears that the Board was too successful in that effort, and the savings to the members resulted in the organization’s undoing. We ask for your understanding and support, as we wind down the organization.
We are confident that the traditions established by the IMAA..... the definitions of what constitutes a “Legal” Big Bird ... and the planning and promotion of Big Bird events will continue.  Although HighFlight Magazine will be missed, in its history of over one third of a century, we have seen the hobby grow from its simple, do-it-yourself roots, to the highly sophisticated level that we enjoy today.
Readers of the first issue of HighFlight, in 1980 were taught and encouraged, with articles on how to modify chain saw and weed whipper engines to a form that could be used on a giant scale aircraft.  There were instructions on how to build your own, semi-scale Cub type landing gear... bandsawed from plate aluminum, as there certainly were no “off the shelf “ landing gear available at that time.  Another article in that first issue detailed how to apply Ceconite (full scale aircraft covering) to our models. There was a section of that Volume 1, Number 1 issue with some proposed by-laws for the new organization, and an invitation to meet at the upcoming Toledo Trade Show to discuss forming a new giant scale organization.  Yes..... There was an issue of HighFlight, BEFORE there was an I.M.A.A.
And there was a listing of “Sounding Board” Contacts, off of whom you could bounce ideas ... or ask questions.  And many of those folks, including Don Godfrey, Dave Platt, Corky Heitman, Wendell Hostetler, Jerry Nelson, and Lee Taylor are still active in the hobby today.  That first issue of HighFlight included an aircraft inspection check list, and a preliminary list of safety rules and procedures.  The I.M.A.A. has always championed good safety practices, and as a result, by working with the A.M.A., we were able to get governmental approval to fly larger and larger Big Birds at our flying sites.
Obviously, over a third of a century, a lot has changed in our hobby.  Big Birds are probably more the norm, than the “Giant Oddity” that they were in 1980.  One of the first “Giant” kits that became available was the Bud Nosen J-3 Cub.  At 1/4 scale, it spanned 109 inches, and everyone was in awe of that “Huge” model.  Today, it is the same size as the Aeroworks CubCrafters Sport Cub S2 that is featured in this issue.  Today, this is a plane that is regarded as somewhat small, but manageable.
Today, you can walk into any hobby shop, and find a huge array of giant scale engines, airframes, hardware, and servos, and even completely assembled “Bind and Fly” aircraft that are I.M.A.A. legal.  Everything you need to get started with a Big Bird is right there on the shelf....with no grinding of engine castings required.
I’m sure that I speak for all of the I.M.A.A. Officers and Board members, when I say that it was a very sad day when they had to formally, finally shut down the organization.  But I also know that they are proud of the contributions that the I.M.A.A., and HighFlight Magazine has made in the hobby.   Big Birds truly DO fly better, and they will continue to fly better for a long, long time.  Thank you to the members for your support along the way.  Fly Safely, and Have Fun!  It’s been quite a ride!

-Taylor Collins, Editor
    &
The Officers and Board of Directors of  the I.M.A.A.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: a SIG has died
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 10:09:38 PM »
I'll get by.

MM

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:49:07 PM »
I guess the guys who can build and afford 5 & 6 figure models are thinning out. The disposable ARFies have taken over the R/C clubs.
I know the AMA rag is full of them.

AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 11:02:30 PM »
I'm not a bit surprised!
After spending the money to build and fly one of these things, who could possibly afford to support an organization!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 07:15:46 AM »
It is sad to see a SIG fold. :-[ I hope that the loss of the formal organization does not signal the demise of these very large models. I am not an R/C flyer, but any special interest group going down for lack of funding shows all of us what can happen.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 01:35:33 PM »
While I will not try to be bad guy, it may well sound as such.  Mr. Collins material is mostly all true, yet some things, IMO, could be discussed with different decisions concerning the IMAA.
I joined IMAA sometime back around 1990 +/- when Jetero RC Club, www.jetero.com was not yet on the new 50 acres that they now own. That happened in April 1995. Jetero was doing some Big Bird events and I was very interested in their work with IMAA so I joined up. I really liked the way they worked except for one item, which was their sanctioning procedures. IMAA Sanctions were done by IMAA AND then AMA. As once a District VI AMA DVP, 2 terms, I saw the writing on the wall. AMA would not work with IMAA for IMAA sanctions which limited the distance between IMAA and AMA events. At the time the AMA President had a problem with IMAA and assured that IMAA sanctioned events would never be afforded any distance between an IMAA Sanctioned event and any AMA only sanctioned event. I protested AMA and IMAA to get this problem solved.
Why? Because any AMA Club could sanction an event right next door, the week before a long time IMAA sanctioned  event. That meant that your well planned IMAA event could be kicked off the playing field. Normal modelers don't really care for what or who, just their fun at the time.
BTDT as the IMAA CD.!

Over time I begged and pleaded with IMAA officers along with Dave Brown (long time AMA Pres.) to right this wrong. I never figured out just what Dave wanted, and I am not sure he figured it out!  S?P  Then the IMAA officers would never do anything to obtain their own insurance for IMAA sanctioned events. THAT WAS THE CLINCHER!  IMAA was on the way out as they kept their heads in the sand simply because of not having their own insurance protection and the fact that AMA would not allow IMAA to have any sanctioned distance protection. Some 4-5 years ago I had a long talk with the then IMAA President at a Bomber Field large event.. His only point was holding on to AMA Insurance. Heck, any businessman could see the sun setting, and with the ARFs, the BIG Turbine Jets, folks that no longer cared for model aviation, just simply going after the latest thing, IMAA did not have a chance for maintaining a real functioning Special Interest Group.

Several years ago I wrote to the IMAA Pres, along with some Area District Directors that I would help as an assistant director in this area of SE TX and SW LA. I would claim no expenses and could myself fund any thing that They and/or myself thought there might be a need for. All I asked for would be a letter or such verifying that I was assisting the IMAA,  I never received any answer.

In reality, the IMAA "High Flight" has turned into the BEST Model Airplane mag. in these United States of America and I subscribe to all. IMO there is nothing in the USA that compares to it. AMA's MA has a lot to of different items to favor the membership so I don't say MA is less than High Flight because there are 2 different items., yet if I could only have 1 mag. HF would be the one, however I don't suppose that option is now available.  ???

Anyone want to guess where the money went to?  y1

Another Subject: I, Horrace Cain, am on the official AMA Ballot for the office of Executive Vice President, Academy of Model Aeronautics.
                         I do solicit your VOTE! Thank You.   "Hoss" H^^
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Dwayne

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 06:54:27 AM »
Yup it's sad, we just had our annual IMAA fun fly up here in Kingston Ontario Canada, our population is 132,000 and we always get over 100 pilots and 200 planes, this year was no exception, great turn out great flying. I was busy so I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone about it, but does anyone know who'll take over? AMA?

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 11:37:46 AM »
The lack of an organized SIG doesn't stop people from flying.  And I don't see how that would affect their contests, etc.

F.C.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 12:36:06 PM »
AMA authorized SIG's (special interest groups) to insulate itself from rules discussions.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.

They instantly sprang up for every event.  Some worked.  Many didn't.  In my opinion, most of them tend to be dominated by a small core of very serious competitors who work hard to insure that everything continues to go their way.  The weakies soon realize that they still have no voice and drop out.  This is just ducky for the top dogs.

The idea of a SIG going broke is amusing.  What did they do, build a high rise office building?  With the advent of home computers and the internet a SIG doesn't need postage stamps. envelopes, and long distance phone bills.

NASA is a classically dysfunctional SIG from the CL point of view.  Combining RC & CL scale under one RC-dominated umbrella insured that CL scale rules will always be screwed-up.
Paul Smith

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 10:31:50 AM »
The lack of an organized SIG doesn't stop people from flying.  And I don't see how that would affect their contests, etc.

F.C.

There is another factor in the poor (My thought) management of IMAA. Since AMA never allowed IMAA any slack in not providing any distance requirement for a non-IMAA Big Bird event and an IMMA only Big Bird event, well where would most modelers go? Of course to AMA Big Birds because their annual AMA dues are paid for, so why go for an IMAA Big Bird where additional dues are required? That very fact started the longtime demise of IMAA.  The members were slowly dwindling and then IMAA went big time on the High Flight magazine hoping that would bring Big Bird flyers back. It did not do so.  The magazine became such a beautiful work-of-art that IMO it was far too much of a drain on the dues. Advertisers can just do so much. Just think that AMA's magazine goes to each member. All IMAA events also required AMA membership ($$s) along with IMAA $$. It can be figured out!  y1

BTW, IMAA events were not COMPETTIVE. No awards except for a pilot-judged best model.
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here