News:

• March 29, 2024, 12:26:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3-blade prop question for Saito .56..  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
3-blade prop question for Saito .56..
« on: August 18, 2014, 11:43:29 AM »
Just wondering what is the best  small (11.3"-12" etc) 3-blade that'll work on the .56 with a 68oz Score?  and what pitch should it be?

Thanks in advance

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: 3-blade prop question for Saito .56..
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 02:59:19 PM »
Before I started running my 56 and 62's in reverse I was having great luck with a 3 blade 13-5.5 carbon with under-chamber, acted more like a 13-6.5, launched around 8200. This was a prop sold by MODUSA for Stalkers, have no idea who actually made it.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 04:56:33 PM »
Before I started running my 56 and 62's in reverse I was having great luck with a 3 blade 13-5.5 carbon with under-chamber, acted more like a 13-6.5, launched around 8200. This was a prop sold by MODUSA for Stalkers, have no idea who actually made it.

Hi Bob,  What I'm looking for is something that will give enough load (with smaller diameter) to the engine to get the consistent run, and would turn a cleaner & tighter corner then a 13" dia prop.  also able to handle some (15-20km) wind.  I have used the Xoar electric 13x6, and a MA 13x7, and lately tried an Eather 12" 3-blade pitched to 7" and it almost feel like it could work.. it sure turns better, but not so good in the wind.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 05:11:56 AM »
Without actually seeing and flying the airplane all I can do is guess. If you are having turn issues I doubt it's the prop, I was running the 13 inch 3 blade on a Score and then on my Latency and both will turn as tight a corner with no wobbles as anyone can fly. I would guess you have trim issues with the airplane that need to be dealt with and doubt you will find a 12 inch prop that will work. In my pea brain I'm thinking prop disk diameter is what helps slow down the airplane on the down legs when the wind is blowing.

That being said, the old rule of thumb was if you drop one inch in diameter increase the pitch by one. This would equate a 12-7 or 12-8 which if you can find one might be someplace to start.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:21:08 AM »
Without actually seeing and flying the airplane all I can do is guess. If you are having turn issues I doubt it's the prop, I was running the 13 inch 3 blade on a Score and then on my Latency and both will turn as tight a corner with no wobbles as anyone can fly. I would guess you have trim issues with the airplane that need to be dealt with and doubt you will find a 12 inch prop that will work. In my pea brain I'm thinking prop disk diameter is what helps slow down the airplane on the down legs when the wind is blowing.

That being said, the old rule of thumb was if you drop one inch in diameter increase the pitch by one. This would equate a 12-7 or 12-8 which if you can find one might be someplace to start.

The plane turns fine with the 13" 2-blade prop, it just turns better with the 12" Eather 3-blade.  but it whine up more in the wind, and notice less stable on the speed in certain areas of the pattern.  I was hoping to see maybe a different design 12" 3-blade might work better.  wonder if anyone has made copies of the Stalker 13x5.5 or the 12.5x5.5..  D>K
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:28:21 AM by Joe Yau »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here