News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:48:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How may I enlarge a Jetco Shark .15?  (Read 1811 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How may I enlarge a Jetco Shark .15?
« on: August 18, 2014, 06:27:07 AM »
     Hello All:

I would like to know how I may enlarge the Shark .15 to use a .46 engine.  I have had many Shark .15 planes and I have found them to be great flying airplanes.  Now I would like to enlarge the plane use a .46 engine.

There is a guy in Texas (?) who kits the Shark .15.  Anybody know who this is? Could he increase the kit to be larger?

Suggestions?

Tia,

Frank

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: How may I enlarge a Jetco Shark .15?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 06:39:55 AM »
Get some plans for a Shark 45.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 06:58:54 AM »
If the plans are CAD, it takes about 2 seconds
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 01:06:56 PM »
I have had two Shark 15s with TD 09s and really liked them.  I would just draw one up with 54 inch wingspan, else take the plans to a copy place and have them appropriately enlarged. 

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 01:58:15 PM »

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 02:16:09 PM »
1)Buy the RSM Shark 35 kit, build it for the LA-46. Not a profile but you will have a great flying model. 2)Buy the RSM Shark 35 kit, use the wing and elevator and make a new profile fuselage in the shape of the full bodied model.
3)Buy the RSM Shark 35 plans, build the wing and tail from the plans (ribs can be purchased separately) and use the outline of the fuselage to make a profile model. 4)If a larger model is desired, blow up the 35 plans around 10% and cut your own ribs. Option #1 is recommended.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 04:02:31 PM »
Frank,
Check you PM
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 08:00:26 PM »
    I decided I wanted to do the same thing several years ago, and just turned a Twister into a Shark. There may be pictures of it on here somewhere. I used everything that came in the standard kit, and cut the ribs down 1/16" to allow for leading edge sheeting and cap strips, but you don't have to do that if you don't care to. I lengthened the fuse as per the Fancher article, and then added some wood where ever I nneded it to make it look like my Shark .45. The neatest things was that original Jetco Shark .45 wing tips fit the Twister wing perfectly! A bit of the tip hung over the traing edge enough to blend in with the flaps. All up weight was in the mid to upper 40 ounce range and it still flies well. I have blown up the Jetco Shark 15 plans at Copy Max also just to see what happens but have not had the chance to really compare them to the Twister/Shark. It's one of my favorite airplanes and hope to do a 1/2A version before too long.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 09:07:29 PM »
No rib profiles...
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4557
Phil

I've had these ribs on the bench to trace for a while now!!  Maybe some nice guy with CAD can draw the nice set for us!!  The RH set of ribs are R1 to R11.  I only traced R1 and R11.  Easier to sandwich a set and carve/sand.

The sheet size is A4 and is full size.  Maybe have to do it in a couple of posts.  ;)

HH

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 09:09:07 PM »
I've had these ribs on the bench to trace for a while now!!  Maybe some nice guy with CAD can draw the nice set for us!!  The RH set of ribs are R1 to R11.  I only traced R1 and R11.  Easier to sandwich a set and carve/sand.

The sheet size is A4 and is full size.  Maybe have to do it in a couple of posts.  ;)

HH

More.  Sheet 5 is the R1 and R11 rib size.  Sheet 1-4 are all LH ribs.

HH

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 10:00:23 PM »
Awesome!  Thank you.

Phil

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 10:54:15 AM »
Thanks Dallas I now have them printed off.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »
Dan's Twister/Shark sounds like a good idea, as does the Shark 35 option. Am I the only one who feels that a Shark 45 (profile or otherwise) would be underpowered by todays standards with an LA-46? These days most use at least a ST-51. The winningest one on the west coast utilizes a PA-65. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »
Thanks Dallas I now have them printed off.   H^^

That's great John!   One of the fellows in our group had the kit so I was loaned the ribs and canopy so a model as per Jetco kit could be made.  Just one of those tasks I had to get to.  A wet day and the request came at the right time!

I must put the whole set on a sheet and send it to Hippocket plans.  I've just put scans of ribs and bulkhead templates on a few R/C models I had 20 years ago.

HH

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 06:30:34 PM »
    Hello All:

I would like to know how I may enlarge the Shark .15 to use a .46 engine.  I have had many Shark .15 planes and I have found them to be great flying airplanes.  Now I would like to enlarge the plane use a .46 engine.

There is a guy in Texas (?) who kits the Shark .15.  Anybody know who this is? Could he increase the kit to be larger?

Suggestions?

Tia,

Frank

Hi Frank,  I used to kit the Shark 15, give me a call me when you have a chance (386-447-4247)
and let me know exactly what you want  and I can have them upsized in a click or two.

Oh!  and let's not get into the guy in Texas
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 11:26:36 PM »
Thanks Dallas I now have them printed off.   H^^

Here's the rest of them John!  Saves some work making templates.  Boy!!! Were some of them "die crushed"!!!!

I've passed the pages to someone who may put them on one sheet so he can post on Hippocket plans with the kit plan.

HH
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:02:02 AM by Dallas Hanna »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 12:52:50 AM »
   With Shark rib patterns floating around, I just want to add that the two Shark.45s that I have built were copied from the Jetco kit. Instead of building the fuselage in two pieces like the kit was assembled, I just used 3/8" wider wood for the sides and made them 1 piece. Makes for easier alignment when building. For the main landing gear, I used grooved hard wood blocks from SIG, and a similar installation for the nose gear, so that both can be removed if need be. Make sure you check on what tank you intend to use, so you can move the rear tank compartment bulkhead back as as possible. The Jecto kit had top and bottom blocks for the fuse, and everything else that need small blocks was built up from laminated balsa die cut parts. replace those with the best block that you can. For up to a ST.51, you'll need a 5 ounce metal tank, or a six ounce plastic tank. The canopy that I used was the front portion of a SIG Magnum canopy, I think. It's been 20 years since I built the first one and almost ten now since the second one was built! My two came out at 64 and 61 ounces respectively. They can probably be built a bit lighter. I want to build one more some day with a bit more modern numbers, mainly a bit larger stab and elevator, but about the same size. The Jetco kit is a little smaller that the original, and the RSM kit, and it fits my vehicles better!
    Good luck and have fun,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here