News:

• April 23, 2024, 07:46:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Too much motor?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Sean McEntee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Too much motor?
« on: August 17, 2014, 01:58:36 PM »
    Heres what I got:

-Plans for Hutchinson's T-6.  Around 500 squares calling for a OS40-46 or a Magnum 36, all three of which I have. 

-Discussions with some folks wanting to up the motor size on their models to a 56-60.

-I have a Tom Lay ST 51 sitting on the shelf, needing a good home.

-The 51, of course is heavier (11oz vs a 7oz 40FP).  However, Don's notes that came with the plans call for burying about 4oz of lead in the nose, given the short nose moment of a radial-engined airplane.  The added weight would not be a factor.  Should be able to build a tank to carry enough fuel and yet fit in the space provided.

-My only concern is running a bigger engine on a smaller model then what is the norm as far as getting a good run pulling a model of that size.

Thoughts?

Thanks a bunch,
Sean

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Too much motor?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 02:05:55 PM »
Hi Sean,

I think the ST .51 is just too much for Don's models.  I am sure it can be made to work but the best flying ones I have heard of are using the OS .46LA (and of course Joe Gilbert's .40 powered 4 cycle).  The .46LA, as you know, has a good bit of grunt, but it doesn't compare to the T&L .51.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 02:36:59 PM »
Since you need extra nose weight anyway, I think it makes perfect sense to use the ST51.  It's usually a lot easier to deal with extra power than extra dead weight.
One of the main problems in "overpowering" a smaller airplane is typically the extra potential stress on the airplane from vibration and the extra weight placing stress on the engine mounts etc.
The ST51 is actually a relatively smooth running engine and since you will have the weight anyway it shouldn't be any problem.
I would carefully cast a "jaundiced" eye on the engine mounts and see if there is any requirement for extra bracing etc.
Another problem, of course is often increased prop clearance needed for a larger prop with the larger engine.
A three blade prop, of course can help...or simply longer gear.
I've owned and used several ST51's and have found them to be excellent engines.  It would be my choice for this situation!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »
There is a local flyer here in Indy flying a Brodak Hellcat with a stock St51. Flies very well.
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 03:13:50 PM »
Put the 51 on it.  Tate and the guys here have run 51s on Brodak P-40s with excellent results.  I don't know the square inches on the T-6 but I know Gilberts plane seems to be about the same size as that Brodak P-40.
Steve

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 03:41:08 PM »
Ask Joe Gilbert....his runs and flies great.....

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 08:07:04 PM »
There is no "Overkill". There is only "Open Fire" and "Reloading".
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »
Ask Joe Gilbert....his runs and flies great.....

Sean,

I'm pretty sure that Joe runs a Saito .40 on his T-6. Joe has proven consistently that in capable hands it is a plane/engine combo that is very hard to beat. From your above info it doesn't look like you have one in your inventory, yet. I've got multiple airplanes with Saito .40's and am very happy with all of them. I'd highly suggest going that direction with the Texan. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Larry Fruits

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 09:47:58 AM »
Sean:
 I would use the ST 51 as well. I have been running one for years and it is a great engine. Plan on a 6 ounce tank, mine uses a shade over five ounces, and a 12 inch prop, to plan your landing gear length. Should be an excellent choice for the AT 6.

Flew with your dad at the WKSI contest over the weekend. Great fun. Wish you could have been there too.

Larry

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 10:19:56 AM »
Sean,
My almost finished Avenger is set for a LA .46.

Joe Gilbert told me that he would use a ST .60
AMA 7544

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here