News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:30:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Next airplane  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Steven Kientz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Next airplane
« on: August 17, 2014, 09:22:34 AM »
I'm currently flying a pretty ragged rebuild of a TutorII. I have a Brodak Sea Hurricane on the bench awaiting engine/tank mounting and finish of the controls. I have a Naughty Girl kit on the shelf. I would like to build another plane before starting on the Naughty Girl.
Currently I'm have just started loops(inside). I figure the TutorII might make it to the end of this season, will be trimming  the Hurricane next week. I need to get an airframe started. I like to stay one ahead. Looking for a .35-.46 size profile(even ARF). I was in on the Brett Buck thread about 3 Skyrays. I have a kit & balsa to build 3, OS25s(LA,FSR,FP&F) for power. I also have 3 sets of Corehoue cores that I could build fuselages for and power with the Os25s or I have several different .35/.36. OR I could take some $$$ I have ratholed away and buy a kit of? I have looked at most of the suppliers and honestly,way too many that I want to make an accurate decision. Brodak profiles, Pat king, built right, etc.
Any Suggestions??
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Steve Riebe

• Commander
Re: Next airplane
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 01:38:43 PM »
Can't go wrong building yourself a Cardinal. Your .46 will handle it very well. Saw one in the classified on the other forum for $100.00. Just my 2-1/2 cents  H^^

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 01:43:52 PM »
I just submitted a lumber order to build Don Hutchinson's T6/SNJ.  Very cool, scale looking model designed around a 40-46 powerplant.  Very capable stunter as well.  Dennis Leonhardi has plans for it as well as several other profile warbirds designed by Don.  All look very scale and fly well.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 02:15:17 PM »
Hi Steve,

Good suggestions from all.  Are you working towards flying contests in stunt?  If so, build the Skyrays and go for it.  Much easier to repair and you will have less, emotionally, invested in those so you can push it a little bit without worry.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 02:29:15 PM »
I thought my timetable had been pushed forward this afternoon. While attempting a loop the plane decided to do a wingover(going upwind). The prop and Aeroproducts tongue muffler took the brunt of the  crash. Prop destroyed, muffler looks brand new. Took the engine off, cleaned it and the airframe. Only repair is to recover part of the inboard wing. Checked the controls(what I could see), all looks fine.
I have been thinking about a Cardinal, almost bought one instead of the Sea Hurricane.
 Sean, I'm not up to cutting a kit yet, have a tremor that makes tedious tasks much harder. I agree with you about Don's warbirds, very nice.
Bill, yes I would like to fly competitively at some point. So if I built 3 Skyrays, should I just pick one of the engines and swap it between airframes? I figure that would be less hassle than setting up 3 different powerplants.
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 02:36:05 PM »
I agree with Bill, do the Skyrays, and you can make the engine choice on your own. For me, I would have all three with an engine mounted and ready to go if you're still learning the manuevors.  Less turn around time between trips to the field while repairing the last "oops".  You might find yourself with an engine full of terra firma that needs to be taken apart when a flying buddy calls about the perfect weather outside and the light winds.  If that happens, you're ready to go!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 02:42:40 PM »
Good point Will. I have plenty of help sorting out engine runs. Looks like I'll be saving my ratholed $$$ for a rainier day.
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »
I also agree with doing the Skyrays, as suggested above.  I would also reccommend powering at least two of them so they can be taken to the field at the same time.  If there is a mishap with one...immediately fly the other one, etc, ect, etc.

At the early learning stage gaps in your practice is your worst enemy.  If you have an experienced flier close by get him to coach and help you.  Some actual "Hands over" instruction can save a lot of airplanes!

Also trimming the airplane to be safe and fly well is an absolute must in the learning process, and very difficult to do without help from a knowledgable experienced source!  It will pay off even if you have to travel a bit to get the help!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »
The group I fly with have  plenty of experience. Some are retreads working toward competing, others are still competing. We currently fly one evening a week, but I have a stooge so I can go "solo" once planes are trimmed. Biggest problem is work gets in  the way. I know typical problem for many.

Steve 
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline John Craig

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 07:04:28 AM »
Please consider the Corehouse RST (Rugged Stunt Trainer).  Priced right.  Easy to build.  This plane could be easily built in a week of evenings, if you are happy with a simple quick finish (rusteolum or epoxy resin).  The wing is easily replaced if damaged beyond repair.  OS 25 FP or LA is the ideal engine.  It does not come with a landing gear.  A FliteStreak /SkyRay type gear is fine.  Or one of the commercial profile aluminum gears.  A 2 1/2 oz tank & you are in the circle again.

Phil's Gotcha Plugger taught me inverted flight & outside a maneuvers.  Wish I had a dollar for every time I yard darted it into the ground or concrete runway.  Finally passed it on to  a young beginner.

I have an RST in the final assembly phase.  I has taken me a while to finish.  A few personal modifications, a good looking finish, & other distractions have made it a 4 month project.  It will be the plane that teaches me how to make a square look like a square & a recognizable beginner pattern.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 03:11:40 PM »
I have 3 sets of Phil's Gotcha cores in my shop. I have another 3 almost finished as yankee nippers. Have considered balsa fuse and tails for trainers. I have most of the parts for 3 Skyrays already laid out, just need to cut them out

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Andrew Saunders

• Commander
  • 2013 Nats
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 06:14:51 PM »
The Brodak Cardinal or the Sig twister with modifications will both do well to learn on.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here