News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:19:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lustrekote, is or isn't fuel proof? Especially the clear.  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Lustrekote, is or isn't fuel proof? Especially the clear.
« on: August 17, 2014, 07:27:48 AM »
I know I shouldn't, but I sometimes look at the dollar value of a product to determine the quality.

"You get what you pay for."

Lustrekote. 6.00 a can. How can this product be so inexpensive and still be fuell proof?

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Lustrekote, is or isn't fuel proof? Especially the clear.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 10:20:45 AM »
I used the Missle Red with the Clear on my Brodak Galaxy Profile and it is holding up fine after 3 years.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 03:46:16 PM »
$6??? where? but yeah, pretty fuel proof. up to 15 raw i believe is the claim. as a clear, i don't know the compatability over anything other than lustrekote, but well worth some testing.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 07:36:43 PM »
$6??? where? but yeah, pretty fuel proof. up to 15 raw i believe is the claim. as a clear, i don't know the compatability over anything other than lustrekote, but well worth some testing.

Great Dane!

Tower Hobbies.  Here's the link.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCZW5&P=M

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 03:31:07 PM »
Great Dane!

That's why there are commas.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 04:37:33 PM »
I've used Lustre Kote on several airplanes in the past.  It is extremely fuel proof even after exposure to 25% nitro for short periods of time.
The colors are brilliant and it dries relatively fast.

Two problems have surfaced with it for me.  First the spray cans are somewhat unreliable and tend to splat globs of paint occassionaly.  The cans must be shaken until your arm is very tired and then shaken some more!

Second, after a few times of exposure to the extreme sun here in Tucson it becomes obvious that the paint becomes very hard and begins to craze and then crack in a kind of spider web fashion.

Third it is so hard as to be nearly impossible to sand off.

I stopped using it!  Too bad it's very convenient and matches monokote colors perfectly.

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 06:51:14 PM »
I stopped using that lizard paint years ago. High price, terrible nozzle, spitting, cracking and those are it's good points. it was a red letter day if you got to use the whole can.
Oh it did have one good thing. It taught me a completely new language every time I used it.

Dennis

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 01:18:26 AM »
I stopped using that lizard paint years ago. High price, terrible nozzle, spitting, cracking and those are it's good points. it was a red letter day if you got to use the whole can.
Oh it did have one good thing. It taught me a completely new language every time I used it.

Dennis

Well, I agree Dennis, but I was trying to be nice...I learned some new words too!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Damian Paten

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 05:16:08 AM »
That's why there are commas.

I helped my uncle Jack off the horse.

It's funny how punctuation can change ones view of what's happening.
I'm a shocker for it, bad punctuation that is.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 06:37:12 PM by Damian Paten »

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 05:59:47 PM »
I have had good results with Lustre Kote but the spray can is troublesome. I sorted that out by tipping the can upside down and getting rid of the gas, then puncturing the can and draining the paint into a container. I then use my regular spray gun to apply. Works pretty good and is really fuel proof.
I was given a whole bunch of cans that a local hobby shop had had returned by customers complaining about poor spray performance. Recycling them was going to cost the store more money so they were all too glad to have someone take the problem off their hands... you can't beat that for a price. The down side is that color selection choice isn't there.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 06:27:12 PM »

Great! Dane.

Now that it's a free-for-all Grammar Nazi fest...

Great, Dane!

Personally, I got rid of my last can of that crap 10 years ago.
Cured RustOleum is far more fuel proof.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 07:06:58 PM »
Years ago, I knew a bloke whose nickname was Wombat. So named because the great Australian Wombat eats roots and leaves.

I will leave you to punctuate that so it fits a young male with an over supply of testosterone coursing through his veins. y1 H^^ n1

Offline Rick Wetzel

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 07:41:06 PM »
Lustrekote is definitely fuel proof as the other posters noted.  Some of the colors work better than others. I've had two cans of black that worked perfectly, and the missile red also worked well.  Last year I got up at 5:00am to paint the fuse on my new Jamison Special sapphire blue.  Fortunately I started on the cowl because after 10 minutes of paint globs I just painted the whole fuse black! I found it hard to get a high gloss shine despite a pretty smooth silkspan finish. The shine is more of a glossy look, even after spraying clear.  The clear worked better on the Jamison after letting the black dry for about a week.

Rick

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 08:30:32 PM »
I went to the Tower site to order a can and the shipping would have been $10.

No thanks!!

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 05:36:30 AM »
Years ago, I knew a bloke whose nickname was Wombat. So named because the great Australian Wombat eats roots and leaves.

I will leave you to punctuate that so it fits a young male with an over supply of testosterone coursing through his veins. y1 H^^ n1
LL~ LL~ LL~ Two fellows in Scotland who lived next door to each other, fought all the time. One guy's mailbox read: "Jack Meoffe" the other one read: "Ben Dover"!!! ;D
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 06:44:25 AM »
It's name belies it's finish quality however, should be called Cluster Kote or Duster Kote or Dull Kote or something, but it certainly IS fuelproof.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 10:35:46 PM »
Some of this just ain't right...ain't right I say! Howard started it.  ;D
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 07:26:51 PM »
Charles,
LusterKote is fuel proof but it is very heavy. Second problem is that some of the colors are very sensitive to UV light (red particularly) and will turn dark (almost black). The clear is very fuel proof and is resistant to UV (if you use the color put at least one good coat of clear to protect against the UV problem). Some have done the base and color in dope then used one clear coat of LusterKote to fuel proof.

Best,      DennisT

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 10:20:49 PM »
I finished this Scientific Staggerwing for my Dad in LustreKote system, used the primer, color and clear. it's completely crazed with spider cracks now, but looked good for a year. I've finished a few models in my day and have an OK understanding of how to finish, but threw all of the remaining cans in the trash.
Chris...

Mike Griffin

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 08:31:37 AM »
Rotflmao.....you guys are not well
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 08:55:27 AM by Mike Griffin »

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 01:01:12 PM »

A panda bear walks into a bar and orders a sandwich. The waiter brings him the sandwich. The panda bear eats it, pulls out a pistol, kills the waiter, and gets up and starts to walk out.

The bartender yells for him to stop. The panda bear asks, “What do you want?” The bartender replies, “First you come in here, order food, kill my waiter, then try to go without paying for your food.”

The panda bear turns around and says, “Hey! I’m a Panda. Look it up!” The bartender goes into the back room and looks up panda bear in the encyclopedia, which reads: “Panda: a bear-like marsupial originating in Asian regions. Known largely for it’s stark black and white coloring. Eats, shoots and leaves.”

While I sometimes think of commas as a pestilence, indeed once bailed on a subscription to a magazine thought to use them way too much, above demonstrates Howard's point.

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here