News:

• April 26, 2024, 12:56:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Printing PDF plans  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Terry Caron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Printing PDF plans
« on: August 13, 2014, 11:35:17 AM »
Taken to Kinko's, do PDF plan files, such as from the Outerzone site, print at 100% or do they have to be scaled to get full-size copies?

TNX.

Terry
NACA member, Huntsville, AL
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: Printing PDF plans
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:58:18 AM »
I took my "thumb drive" to Kinkos.  I copied the plans as sent to me by computer.  I told them to print "full size", and it worked.  But you might have to also tell them the dimension of some significant feature, such as wingspan, or ???.  If the plan shows a scale in the corner, all the better.

F.C.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 01:03:43 PM »
There's no absolute guarantee that the PDF you find online is perfect, either. Outerzone is good but Steve (the guy donating his time and money to run it) cannot really be expected to notice all sqewed dimensions or wrinkles in the scan that could possibly be in the material that he gets.

If you can, check some dimensions before committing to paper. I think Photoshop and many free graphics programs can do that.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 02:16:37 PM »
If you have a local blueprint shop try that place, too -- our local shop charges about half of what Kinko's does, and the woman that does the printing is a perfectionist.  She sent me home with two sets of Ringmaster plans for the price of one because I said I wanted a 42" wingspan, and she didn't like the fact that the first one was off by 1/8"
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 03:28:14 PM »
If you have a local blueprint shop try that place, too -- our local shop charges about half of what Kinko's does, and the woman that does the printing is a perfectionist.  She sent me home with two sets of Ringmaster plans for the price of one because I said I wanted a 42" wingspan, and she didn't like the fact that the first one was off by 1/8"

Lets hear it for local instant printing shops.  My favorite locally will print and E size sheet for $4,  less in you buy multiple copies.They also have no problem printing smaller plans two on a sheet.  Plus they do it while you wait.

Phil C
phil Cartier

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 03:35:02 PM »
OK guys.
I'll go tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks.

Terry
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 05:40:48 PM »
Not all places are equipped to handle plans over 24 inches (minor dimension).  The paper is on a roll, so the major dimension is effectively unlimited.  The local Office Depot has done excellent at printing perfect plans from Outezone and Hippocket, however the Flite Streak plans are on 36 inch paper so they had to send out with a week lead time.

Alas, I didn't have my plans instantly.  They were still perfect when they arrived. 

Yes, I measure right then and there with suitable ruler on every set.  So far perfect results.

Phil

Online Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 07:14:53 PM »
I like Floyd have copied plans from Outerzone on to a memory stick, and then take them to my local copier. We have a place called Copyco in Salina Ks. that has the capability of copying full size plans for less than $5.00. They sometimes have to change paper from what they have in their large machine, but they do a great job. I have to many plans as a result. LOL
Jim Kraft

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 10:10:43 AM »
F everyone's I, from Outerzone PDFs @ 100%, Tucker Special printed 53" w.s., Pee Wee Zilch 31 15/16".
I think 52" & 32" are original sizes.

That's close enough for me.  :)

Terry
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 03:13:49 PM »
I also have all the Warbird plans in PDF form. I get my work done at an engineering shop and they do a great job. I asked about the process and was told they do not copy the original drawing, they put it into PDF form first and run the copies from that. At 100% they are dead on. If you want an 81/2 by 11 copy or any other size, just run it at the right percentage.
Also FYI, there is a new Warbird plan one on the board right now, should be finished in a week or two!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here