News:

• April 19, 2024, 07:22:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is Billy Werwage on the net?  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Steve Tapp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
  • AMA 60415
Is Billy Werwage on the net?
« on: August 12, 2014, 05:36:25 PM »
Anybody know if Billy Werwage has an email address he reads?  I flew with him years ago at the field by the Hopkins airport in Ohio.  Have not flown a model for years but would like to send Bill a hello.  A Google, facebook, PAMPA, and forum search did not turn up much of a lead.  I even joined PAMPA for old time sake.

Will Hubin I see you are still active.  Hi!  I took your Aero classes at KSU...

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Is Billy Werwage on the net?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 07:09:23 PM »
Anybody know if Billy Werwage has an email address he reads?  I flew with him years ago at the field by the Hopkins airport in Ohio.  Have not flown a model for years but would like to send Bill a hello.  A Google, facebook, PAMPA, and forum search did not turn up much of a lead.  I even joined PAMPA for old time sake.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

I wish, but not a chance!!!  Never has!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steve Tapp

• New Pilot
  • AMA 60415
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 07:39:41 PM »
I'm not that surprised knowing Bill  ;D  I assume he still plays music on the weekends or perhaps has retired from that by now?

If someone thinks of it next time they see Bill (Bob Hunt or Bob McDonald perhaps) please mention that Steve kid from Kent Ohio years back says hello...

Thanks,
Steve

I wish, but not a chance!!!  Never has!

Randy Cuberly

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 07:40:02 PM »
I wager Billy still enjoys a rotary dialer on a party line....

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 09:23:06 PM »
Bob Hunt is often on this forum and can be contacted here by PM.  You can find his e-mail address in the vendors section also.

Not sure a bout Bob Mcdonald and the forum but Mr Hunt will know how to contact him.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Bruce Perry

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 10:51:17 PM »
... 'Nets,....Fishnets,.... At the end of a Looong inseam.......

That's where Billy is......

B

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 05:45:18 AM »
I'm not that surprised knowing Bill  ;D  I assume he still plays music on the weekends or perhaps has retired from that by now?

If someone thinks of it next time they see Bill (Bob Hunt or Bob McDonald perhaps) please mention that Steve kid from Kent Ohio years back says hello...

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve:

It's great to hear from you again!

For those who don't know Steve, he was a very good flier around 1981 or so and was improving rapidly. Everyone thought he was going to go right to the top, and then he was gone!

Hope you come back and pick up where you left off, Steve! Give me a call and I'll hook you up with Bill. Send me an email through this forum and I'll give you my number.

For the musicians here, Steve is the spitting image (or at least used to be...) of Larry Coryell!

Later - Bob Hunt

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 05:59:51 AM »
Wow...years ago, I bought a terrific flying PA plane powered by an ST 46....Steve Tapp was painted on the wing.....
I think the bones are still hanging in a garage in Bedford, OH

Offline Steve Tapp

• New Pilot
  • AMA 60415
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 08:44:15 AM »
Quote from: peabody
Wow...years ago, I bought a terrific flying PA plane powered by an ST 46....Steve Tapp was painted on the wing.....
I think the bones are still hanging in a garage in Bedford, OH

@peabody, I'm glad that old bird did well for you.  Not sure which one you had but it was most likely a USA-1 derivative as I was heavily influenced by Bill and his designs. Do you remember the colors?

Quote from: Bob Hunt
Hi Steve:

It's great to hear from you again!

For those who don't know Steve, he was a very good flier around 1981 or so and was improving rapidly. Everyone thought he was

going to go right to the top, and then he was gone!

Hope you come back and pick up where you left off, Steve! Give me a call and I'll hook you up with Bill. Send me an email

through this forum and I'll give you my number.

For the musicians here, Steve is the spitting image (or at least used to be...) of Larry Coryell!

Later - Bob Hunt

Bob,

Thanks for the kind words :) Have been away for so long from the PA community was not sure anyone would remember. Life has a way of changing directions.  I certainly don't need to tell this forum about all the resources needed to be successful in PA: the time, commitment/obsession, skills, light quality airframe, smooth engine/prop/tank combo, accessible field (with noise tolerant neighbors), but most importantly a dedicated support team of family, friends, coaches, equipment experts, etc.  Any winning flyer is a team effort.  After Vincennes in '93 I found myself making a career, getting married, and raising a family which crowded out competitive flying. 

I'm happy to see all the activity on this forum and was afraid the sport would atrophy. Electric power is interesting and I'll wager has extended the sport in a good way.

Every young person should be engaged in a long term, difficult, deep, creative activity as it teaches important life skills of perseverance, creativity, and mastery. Soccer and video games are not enough. We had our kids play piano all though grade school if they wanted to eat.  Both optional of course :) Happily they became proficient and have stayed with piano even through high school. I am thankful to have found PA as a kid, it taught me more than I knew when I needed direction.

Not sure I'll be able to come back the way it once was as the time/resource curve is high. Have always liked things that fly and a few years ago found sport kites to fill the flying void which have some similarities to CLPA but take much less time and fewer resource.  Remember that "Wind Flying" article in Sep '72 AAM with the U-Reely handle and Sig Banshee?  Sport kites are something like that.  I know some folks here have messed around with them.

Twenty years later now and the oldest is looking at colleges. Last week I took her to a day event at Ball State in Muncie IN of all places. Dropped her off and headed over to AMA headquarters to tour the museum and look at the fields. Have not flown a model or the pattern in years but always have kites in the car trunk and the wind was blowing so thought why not give the old figures a go? Certainly not the same as a stunter but it was fun!  If you want to have a laugh, I took a little video and posted up on youtube for a kiting forum.  Muscle memory is an amazing thing.  I still suck and make the same mistakes now as twenty years ago LOL! Wish we had inexpensive pocket cameras capable of HD video back then.  Judges would tell me my mistakes but seeing them makes more impact.  Wasn't going to post this here with such serious flyers but what the heck:

I know I lose pattern points for not entering the outside squares from 45 and some of the mistakes are cringe worthy. Ha! Level laps are pretty tough without an engine so I took a few liberties there. With some smooth winds, I'll work to clean up that pattern a bit. :)

I wax nostalgic and wanted to say hi and Thank You to the PA community and friends for all the good times - even though I didn't make the finals cut at Vincennes.  ::) Very interesting to read about the FAI worlds - some things do remain constant ;) Go team USA!

I just looked up Larry Coryell on Wikipedia and I've got the graying hair for sure ...

Peace,
Steve

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 09:40:30 AM »
Steve...
The plane had a black fuselage....the covering had turned pink.....there was black trim on the wing and tailfeathers....

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 10:05:47 AM »
That pattern was AWESOME!  I was chuckling all the way through.  I bought a small stunt kite in the spring while on vacation and can appreciate how hard it is to do that.
Jim Vigani

Offline Steve Tapp

• New Pilot
  • AMA 60415
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 07:05:56 AM »
Quote from: peabody
Steve...
The plane had a black fuselage....the covering had turned pink.....there was black trim on the wing and tailfeathers....

Yes I remember her well.  The wing color was always pink with a RWB arrow trim.  I found some old pics, scanned them, and uploaded to Picasa. The colors are a bit washed out in the pics but you should recognize the plane.

That pattern was AWESOME!  I was chuckling all the way through.  I bought a small stunt kite in the spring while on vacation and can appreciate how hard it is to do that.

Thanks! It was fun to do. I'm not sure what kite you have but like airplanes it makes a difference.  An inexpensive 5-6' wing with fiberglass spars is like a Ringmaster and an 8' wing with wrapped carbon fiber spars more like a full sized stunter.  Few will pay a few hundred dollars for a kite though; only the fanatics - like us  ;D

Steve

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 08:21:26 AM »
Steve,
 It will be good to see you flying again. Kites are fun but cannot replace airplanes. Welcome back.
AMA 7544

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 08:25:23 AM »
You and Don Shultz could fly combat together.
AMA 12366

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 09:59:58 AM »
Bill Werwage on a message board would be awesome. If you think *I* am a smartass, wait till you get Billy. Master of the one-liner.

Brett

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 12:19:51 PM »
Bill Werwage on a message board would be awesome. If you think *I* am a smartass, wait till you get Billy. Master of the one-liner.

Brett

Boy. howdy... LL~

Bob Hunt

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 05:20:39 PM »
Steve....That's the one!.....it came to me at least third hand...a motorbike rider that lived in a church in Ohio sold it to a friend from Bedford, who sold it to me in NJ....he saw the bones hanging on my wall and I gave it back....The nose got pretty soggy 

Offline Steve Tapp

• New Pilot
  • AMA 60415
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 05:10:23 AM »
Quote from: Tom Niebuhr
Steve,
It will be good to see you flying again. Kites are fun but cannot replace airplanes. Welcome back.

True kites are NOT airplanes. They have allowed me to stay engaged with flying and can fit in around lunchtimes and family taxi duties. Thanks for the welcome!

Quote from: Robert  Storick
You and Don Shultz could fly combat together.

Is Don "the Avenger man" still active here?  He dropped off the kiting forum a year or so ago.  Pair team flying would be fun and less destructive that combat ;)

Miss his cartoons...

Every forum has a mix of personalities. ;)  Bill always had a great wit and a high set of expectations.

Steve....That's the one!.....it came to me at least third hand...a motorbike rider that lived in a church in Ohio sold it to a friend from Bedford, who sold it to me in NJ....he saw the bones hanging on my wall and I gave it back....The nose got pretty soggy 

Nice to know what happened to that bird, thanks for sharing the story.  There are one or two more out there somewhere...

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 10:47:57 AM »
Hi Steve,
good to hear from you!

Les Nering moved from Kent to Brimfield and now has a grass circle in his back yard that he keeps mowed.  I took my boys (now 6 and 8) and we flew there.
I still have a few old Stunt News issues that you gave me back in the '90s while at KSU.

Offline Steve Tapp

• New Pilot
  • AMA 60415
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 05:58:05 AM »
Hi Mike!  Nice to hear you are still at it and boys too, cool.  Leslie is another one I expect will never be online ;)  Can't think of a better reason to move out to the country :)  Tell him I said hi....

Steve

Hi Steve,
good to hear from you!

Les Nering moved from Kent to Brimfield and now has a grass circle in his back yard that he keeps mowed.  I took my boys (now 6 and 8) and we flew there.
I still have a few old Stunt News issues that you gave me back in the '90s while at KSU.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here