News:

• April 26, 2024, 09:39:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "The Great Viking Controversy"!  (Read 10026 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
"The Great Viking Controversy"!
« on: August 06, 2014, 07:56:25 AM »
I was digging around looking for the original "Ares" text/font and found this.

http://roly2011.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/mars-airplane/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:00:06 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Not the Ares I remember or built!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:03:37 AM »
you should build it anyway Charles! lol

ps.... shoot i just realized there's no lettering on that pdf! sorry

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 10:59:12 AM »
Those are the plans published in 1960, but it is not the model that won the '59 Walker Trophy.  Neither was the Ambroid kitted version.  The Brodak kit seems to have gotten it pretty close.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 12:41:24 PM »
Buy the Brodak kit.

Bill Werwage visited John personally to review it.

If Brodak sells it, you can be sure it's correct.

Bob Z.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 02:39:16 PM »
Like the Viking? S?P
Jim Kraft

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 06:20:37 AM »
So, tell me what's wrong with the Viking.

Bob Z.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 08:04:32 AM »
Viking may not be a good example for this discussion. It was  carried over from the Control Line Classics line. Although some changes were made it was reproduced pretty much as as Tony kitted it. That was when Brodak was just getting started in the kit business and I think one should give him a pass on that one.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 08:49:27 AM »
In general,

A first rate builder and competitor designs and builds a model to win contests.  He intentionally does things the hard way to gain advantage.

Then if a kit maker buys the design.  He modifies it to fit his tooling and fit in the box and be something that the customer can assemble.  In most cases both the prototype and the kit make the cutoff date for the event.  Be glad anybody build planes and enters contests.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:36:23 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 10:09:14 AM »
I have no problem if the kit maker would just say it is a reasonable facsimile of the original, but the Viking is nowhere near. The front end is longer and way narrower than the original, and as said above the wing is sheeted on the leading edge back to top and bottom spars instead of no sheeting an internal spars. When you look at the original all you see is the top and bottom of the ribs from the leading edge to the trailing edge. I understand why these changes were made, but they should be documented on the kit so that it is not confused with being a replica. After a while so many liberties are taken that it is not the same plane anymore. Just my 2 cents.
Jim Kraft

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 06:23:30 PM »
We shouldn't mention the "Original" Veco Tomahawk either?  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 06:25:38 PM »
...or the original Flying Clown and Super Clown, which did not have spars or LE sheeting???
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 08:12:54 AM »
Well there were two versions of the Tomahawk.   The original I had as one of my first profiles and the later when the company changed I had the later version that was produced and got my son his first trophy.  I now have both versions from Brodak and they are close as I remember.   I also had a Viking kit that did not have any sheeting except the center section.   The back half of the ribs had kind of an S shape to them from the covering being so tight.  But, to me the kits were as close as I could see and I was not a nit picker.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 08:17:31 AM »
Hi, All.
Thanks for the interesting comments on the Viking. I had no idea of it being embroiled in so much controversy but maybe I can shed some light on the issue.
I met Gary Tultz (RIP) in 1996 and we talked at length about Old Time Stunt, as we were both interested in many of the old designs. He said he would mail me some copies of plans such that I could build something for my OK Super 60. I had never flown or even run a spark engine.
Two sets of (Viking) plans arrived. One was labeled “Drawn (or designed) by a guy named Siracusa” or something to that effect but had no kit information. It had a sheeted lead edge.
The other, which had a solid lead edge had some sort of kit information, possibly “F&B Models” printed on it. Understand that it’s been quite a while and I can’t recall all the details.
I decided to build the plane using the info on the sheeted L/E version but I built it with an I-Beam type wing.
In 1997, at the first Fly-In, I met John Brodak and when he told me of intentions to build some Old Time kits, I suggested the Viking. Since I had given both sets of plans away, I suggested that he get the originals from Gary. A few years later, I was visiting John and we test flew the kit prototype which, as I recall, had the sheeted L/E. I assumed then that Gary had sent him the plans. It was powered by a Fox 35, flew well and, as far as I know, is still on display in the Brodak Hobby Shop.
When I first flew my I-Beam version, I had to add almost one ounce of tail weight to get it to fly properly. This was of course, due to the weight of the engine, metal spinner, coil, condenser, tank and battery pack. When I refinished it a few years later, I modified the nose by moving the engine back 7/8 inch, thus eliminating the need for tail weight. Since I run it on a gasoline/oil mix, I only need around 1 ¾ ounces of fuel.
The Viking has been entered  at VSC, KOI, Brodaks, GSCB, Huntersville, Philly Flyers and quite a number of other contests. I have a good number of trophies to prove its capabilities. It was never protested.
After well over 500 flights, it’s still a joy to fly and the old OK just keeps chugging along.
Bob Z.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 09:53:08 AM »
So the Brodak Viking is not the CLC Viking...go info, Thanks! FWIW: My CLC Oriental became the logo-plane of CLC, even immortalized on a company T-shirt. Both are long gone but those were fun times. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »
Here are a couple of pics of my Viking done from plans traced from an original F&B kit. I have seen some pictures of yours Bob, and I think it is pretty close to mine except for the I beam wing. Yours looks to have the wide fuse with the short nose just like the original. The Brodak Viking has a longer nose to accommodate a 4" fuel tank, and much narrower fuse for later glow engines. I have set mine on the flight line next to the Brodak version and they look like two different models. I don't know how they got that way, I just know they are. Same with the Sterling Mustang as the original had internal spars where the Brodak version has top and bottom spars. I have no problem with that except the changes should be documented on the plan in my opinion. Several years ago I built a Veco Tom Tom from a kit where the same liberty's were taken, but the plans were all marked as to the original construction so that you could build it either way. Oh! I have never complained about flying against any of the Brodak versions. Most just do no know the difference and that is fine with me.
Jim Kraft

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 11:38:48 AM »
Hi, Jim - really great information.

Could you post the "numbers" from yours?

Wingspan, tailspan, moments, weight RTF?

I mentioned that I shortened the nose on mine 7/8 inch from the plans but I'm now curious as to what other differences there are.

Thanks, Bob Z.
ps - maybe we should rename this topic "The Great Viking Controversy"!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: "The Great Viking Controversy"!
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 12:01:09 PM »
ps - maybe we should rename this topic "The Great Viking Controversy"!

I can do that.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:37:03 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 12:38:09 PM »
Thanks Charles. We did not mean to steel your thread. Sorry about that.

Bob;I am just envious of your Viking helmet horns and all. That is just a hoot. I just measured my plans and although they are getting rather old and may not be exact within an 1/8" in four feet or so I think they are still fairly accurate.

Overall length - 33 1/2"
Wing length - 51"
Wing cord -11"
Wing area 550 Sq."
Wing tips-1/4" thick with no bracing except spars go into slots in tip.
Trailing edge of wing to leading edge of stab-8 1/4"
Front of firewall to front of wing-2 3/4"
Fuse is 3" wide from firewall to front of cockpit
Motor mounts are 1/2"X1/2"
stab span-20 1/4"
Jim Kraft

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 03:45:43 PM »
Hi, All.
Thanks for the interesting comments on the Viking. I had no idea of it being embroiled in so much controversy but maybe I can shed some light on the issue.
I met Gary Tultz (RIP) in 1996 and we talked at length about Old Time Stunt, as we were both interested in many of the old designs. He said he would mail me some copies of plans such that I could build something for my OK Super 60. I had never flown or even run a spark engine.
Two sets of (Viking) plans arrived. One was labeled “Drawn (or designed) by a guy named Siracusa” or something to that effect but had no kit information. It had a sheeted lead edge.
The other, which had a solid lead edge had some sort of kit information, possibly “F&B Models” printed on it. Understand that it’s been quite a while and I can’t recall all the details.
I decided to build the plane using the info on the sheeted L/E version but I built it with an I-Beam type wing.
In 1997, at the first Fly-In, I met John Brodak and when he told me of intentions to build some Old Time kits, I suggested the Viking. Since I had given both sets of plans away, I suggested that he get the originals from Gary. A few years later, I was visiting John and we test flew the kit prototype which, as I recall, had the sheeted L/E. I assumed then that Gary had sent him the plans. It was powered by a Fox 35, flew well and, as far as I know, is still on display in the Brodak Hobby Shop.
When I first flew my I-Beam version, I had to add almost one ounce of tail weight to get it to fly properly. This was of course, due to the weight of the engine, metal spinner, coil, condenser, tank and battery pack. When I refinished it a few years later, I modified the nose by moving the engine back 7/8 inch, thus eliminating the need for tail weight. Since I run it on a gasoline/oil mix, I only need around 1 ¾ ounces of fuel.
The Viking has been entered  at VSC, KOI, Brodaks, GSCB, Huntersville, Philly Flyers and quite a number of other contests. I have a good number of trophies to prove its capabilities. It was never protested.
After well over 500 flights, it’s still a joy to fly and the old OK just keeps chugging along.
Bob Z.

Bob,
I don't for a minute doubt the veracity of what you said, but would mention that something is very different than my experience with the Brodak Viking Kit and the VSC Management folks.
When the Brodak kit first appeared, I bought one.  Lou Wolgast had built and was flying one of Tony's kits and I had flown it and liked it.

Then I noticed that the wing airfoil in the Brodak kit was different than what I had assumed was the original (what Lou was flying that had no sheeting on the leading edge, and what appeared on the plans from that kit).  Concerned I asked the VSC folks ( I fly with these people all the time) if it made a difference if the leading edge was sheeted in the Brodak kit and was told positively YES because it was an alteration of the airfoil profile and could not be allowed under PAMPA Old Time Stunt rules.  I gave the kit away to a non-contest flier who just wanted it to fly!

Now you tell me that yours was allowed!!! Phooey!  I guess rules is not rules...or something to that effect.

I couldn't care less at this point as I have decided NOT to fly OT again ever because I can't concentrate on two different stunt events at the same contest anymore...weak minded I guess from beating my head against the wall  HB~> for too many years.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 03:59:26 PM »
Hi, Randy. Good points but keep in mind that I built my Viking with an I-Beam wing which is much closer to the original lead edge configuration. I cannot comment on the actual airfoil because I did not compare the two on the plans Gary sent me. I just used the airfoil on the sheeted lead edge version.
Regarding the rules, since OTS is not (as far as I know) an ama event, the local CD or sponsoring club makes the rules. I believe that most of the clubs in the northeast used GSCB rules and I don't know how strict they are.

I've flown a lot of OTS but I have never seen a plane disqualified for non-compliance.

Bob Z.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
NUMBERS!!! "The Great Viking Controversy"!
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »
Info from Jim Kraft's Viking:
Overall length - 33 1/2"
Wing length - 51"
Wing cord -11"
Wing area 550 Sq."
Wing tips-1/4" thick with no bracing except spars go into slots in tip.
Trailing edge of wing to leading edge of stab-8 1/4"
Front of firewall to front of wing-2 3/4"
Fuse is 3" wide from firewall to front of cockpit
Motor mounts are 1/2"X1/2"
stab span-20 1/4"

Here are the numbers from my Viking:
Wing span: 51 1/2"
Tail span: 20"
Fuselage width at nose: 2 7/8"
Front of wing to front of nose ring: 6"
Front of wing to front firewall: 2 3/4"
Overall length (from nose ring to rear of rudder): 31"
Chord: 11 1/2"
Rear of wing to front of stabilzer: 8"
Weight (with everything but fuel): 46.6 ounces

Bob Z.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 11:22:36 AM »
I have built quite a few vikings all from the original plans. I will get them out and measure them. Here are some things I notice that every one changes the stab and elevator is square on the tips and the landing gear it canted forward at 45 degrees. I have sheeted the first 1.25" of the leading edge as I could never come up with the plans large balsa leading edge. Also most people make the wing span bigger than the plans.

Here is one I built many years ago and it is quite illeagal
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 01:30:35 AM »
Would like to add my 2 cents worth.
  I bought the F&B Viking kit at a Meca collecto in Fresno Cal back in the mid  80's. I decided to kit it and add it to my CLC model kit line,so it could go heads up against the Zilch. I kitted the first run as per the F&B kit.
 I believe the first run of those kits only had the original F&B kit plans. Sorry to say i did rush the kit into production to get it out there.I was sorry i did.
 The F&B kit had a lot of flaws in it that were carried over in the first run. (SORRY)
 I then had the plans drawn up and tried to keep the kit as close to the original kit as possible. I did for safety reasons, redesigned  the front
   nose of the kit and had a ply fuselage doubler added to it and extended the balsa fuselages sides out past the motor mounts. The original nose of the Viking was a accident waiting to happen,a poor design. It had to be corrected. As per the kit the preshap leading edge and trailing edges were notched like the F&B kit. No L.E. sheeting was every use in the Factory run of F&B Viking kits. If so,then i would have made the kit that way..If you only knew how many Dremel table saw belts i went through. At on time i was notching so many L.E & T.E's the motor started to smoke. I looked under the saw and the whole motor was buried in balsa dust.
 One must keep in mind back in the day a lot of kit manufactures used odd size wood that you can't get today unless you have it special cutl $$$$. So
 we were stuck what was being produced at the time. It was close so it was used for the kits.

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 01:34:48 AM »
Would like to add my 2 cents worth.
  I bought the F&B Viking kit at a Meca collecto in Fresno Cal back in the mid  80's. I decided to kit it and add it to my CLC model kit line,so it could go heads up against the Zilch. I kitted the first run as per the F&B kit.
 I believe the first run of those kits only had the original F&B kit plans. Sorry to say i did rush the kit into production to get it out there.I was sorry i did.
 The F&B kit had a lot of flaws in it that were carried over in the first run. (SORRY)
 I then had the plans drawn up and tried to keep the kit as close to the original kit as possible. I did for safety reasons, redesigned  the front
   nose of the kit and had a ply fuselage doubler added to it and extended the balsa fuselages sides out past the motor mounts. The original nose of the Viking was a accident waiting to happen,a poor design. It had to be corrected. As per the kit the preshap leading edge and trailing edges were notched like the F&B kit. No L.E. sheeting was every use in the Factory run of F&B Viking kits. If so,then i would have made the kit that way..If you only knew how many Dremel table saw belts i went through. At on time i was notching so many L.E & T.E's the motor started to smoke. I looked under the saw and the whole motor was buried in balsa dust.
 One must keep in mind back in the day a lot of kit manufactures used odd size wood that you can't get today unless you have it special cut $$$$.  
  So i used what was being produced at the time. It was close so it was used for the kits.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 03:30:53 PM »
I have no problem if the kit maker would just say it is a reasonable facsimile of the original, but the Viking is nowhere near. The front end is longer and way narrower than the original, and as said above the wing is sheeted on the leading edge back to top and bottom spars instead of no sheeting an internal spars. When you look at the original all you see is the top and bottom of the ribs from the leading edge to the trailing edge. I understand why these changes were made, but they should be documented on the kit so that it is not confused with being a replica. After a while so many liberties are taken that it is not the same plane anymore. Just my 2 cents.

Take a look at the original article for the Victory.  The Originals were built with long and short noses and long and short tails, depending on what Don thought the judges would be looking for- fast and daring or slow and precise, big engine versus smaller engine,  and most appeared to be built between a crash on Monday and a contest on Sunday.  No reason to think the Viking was any different.  that was the way a model was "designed" around 1950.  Try something, then try something else.
phil Cartier

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
Thought I would throw this on the thread. Was just handed this Viking to try some OTS with. Wayne Willy (wwwarbird) built it and it was just hanging around at Keith Sandbergs home. Keith talked me through the pattern and asked Wayne if I could give it a go with the Viking. Wayne said to go for it. Whoooooo buddy)))
The OTS pattern was fun and quite a contrast to the PAMPA Stunt pattern.
I feel very fortunate to have a couple fellers like them trust me to give this Viking a go and slap the lines on and have at it. I may even wear vintage clothing whilst flying the viking.
The KB runs great. Real great.
Shug the Blessed

[/url]

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 11:02:14 PM »
you might want to carefully examine the crack eminating from the right cockpit opening,, it could prove terminal,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 08:51:58 AM »
you might want to carefully examine the crack eminating from the right cockpit opening,, it could prove terminal,,
Checked.....really just paint cracks from a previous wing into feild box cur-ruffle. They have been filled with CA and seem solid.
Thanks...good eye!
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline David Ruff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 08:39:06 AM »
I am finishing up a Brodak Viking kit.  Estimating the finished weight to be about 35 oz.  I am using a Fox .35 for power.  Same as the plans show.

Retired Army

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 08:46:01 PM »
Will post this again here as it may shed some light on the lack of leading edge sheeting on the Viking. Sorry about the double attachment, didn't know if it went on the first try.

Offline David M Johnson

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 07:57:08 PM »
I almost hate to admit this but a few years ago I was given Lou Wolgasts old blue Viking.  While it is in almost one piece I can attest that there are a front and rear spar and no sheeting on the wing.  :-\
We're havin some fun now!!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here