News:

• March 29, 2024, 12:03:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: P-40 Warhawk! Painting completed!!  (Read 8126 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
P-40 Warhawk! Painting completed!!
« on: August 05, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »
Thought I'd move the Thread to "Painting and finishing" seeing all the building is completed. Finally. #^

Dusted a bit of primer on the Old Gal, just enough to cover. A bit more on the nose area where I did the needle valve hole repair.

When I sand down these last areas where I did a bit of TOUCH-UP primer, I'll pay close attention to imperfections or areas needing attention. Yeah right!  ;D

Color is next but what scheme! There's so many.  n~
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 06:37:13 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Damian Paten

• Ensign
Re: P-40 Warhawk! Close to paint!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 04:29:11 AM »
It's got to have that signature mouth with the teeth on the front.
It's not a p40 if it ain't got teeth.

You've done a great job of modifying it.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 07:22:12 AM »
Damian,

Thanks for the complement and the reply.

Yes, it will have teeth.

I could just make something up, but having a nice scheme copied from an actual aircraft to go by would be better.

Maybe a combination of both.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 03:44:53 PM »
I know it's tough to visit each and every Thread, so for those that don't know, I got paint on the bottom!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 02:13:08 PM »
Not much left.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 11:57:45 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 07:21:03 PM »
Looks great Charles! I knew you had it in you.
AMA 12366

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 01:55:46 PM »
Looks great Charles! I knew you had it in you.

Robert,

You must believe this, your videos have helped a great deal.

And so have many of your fine members of your WORLD CLASS Forum.

It's always appreciated.

You have inspired me to do a scale model next. Well, almost scale.  ;D

Thanks for the reply.

Offline Damian Paten

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 02:03:28 AM »
Well I've requested a full scale project in one of your other threads.
Do us a favor, on your next build just keep 1 thread. I can't keep up.  LL~

1 model, 1 thread.  mw~

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 04:01:13 AM »
You could have tucked an inverted Fox 35 with and extension shaft in it if nothing else! Why an upright engine?

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 07:49:43 AM »
You could have tucked an inverted Fox 35 with and extension shaft in it if nothing else! Why an upright engine?

John,

Interesting question and I did give consideration to it.

That change would have been much more work.

But it's not so easy with beam mounts and I didn't want to cut up the nose to relocate the beam mounts..

I did moved the engine forward anyway the length of mounting holes.

I like the engine upright for this model. Like the good old days. well, maybe not really the old days by the standards of older modelers, but a time when modeling was just something different as viewed by a twelve year old back in 1959.

The model is completed except for the clear coat. Although I am considering machine guns.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 09:09:28 AM »
Well I've requested a full scale project in one of your other threads.
Do us a favor, on your next build just keep 1 thread. I can't keep up.  LL~

1 model, 1 thread.  mw~

Damian,

Sometimes I'll start a Thread on a spicific task, like the P-40 canopy installation or graphics. Aerosol can paint also, like for the 007 Skyfall.

I believe I did a short landing gear, bent wire Thread.  I did a Thread on Panel Lines.

This stuff would get lost in a build Thread and possibly go unnoticed. Not that seeing what I'm doing is important, but there are those that would go to "Paint and finishing" before going back to a Build Thread.

Same with the "Panel Line" Thread. In most cases, the Annex Thread can relate to any model, not just the model in the build Thread.

Damian, Thanks for the reply.

Hey! Quick Australian story.

I knew the late Fred Reese. Great scale modeler who designed R/C kits. He sent me his last Travel Air Mystery Ship kit so he said, and I believe him. I built the tail feathers, rudder, wing halves, scale static prop and other stuff. Plenty of documentation also, this was to be my last real scale project for R/C. Yea, yea, it was a long time ago and as usual, I lost interest in it.

Finally sold the model to a bloke in your homeland.

Two boxes because of limitations on box size. The Fuselage exceeded the box length. So the bloke told me to cut the fiberglass fuselage in half. He had much experience with glassing, so no problem.

No choice, to fit everything in two boxes, I had to put each fuselage half in a different box, wing halves also.

Both boxes get mailed same time, exact addresses.

One box arrives in Australia and the other goes to Brazil. Hey Marcus!

Anyway, took an extra two weeks for the second box to arrive.

Contents of one box would have been of no value without the other.

I miss that Mystery Ship. I'll build a CL one.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 07:33:10 AM »
That looks mighty fine....a right goodie for sure. I'm impressed to say the least.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 06:49:08 AM »
That looks mighty fine....a right goodie for sure. I'm impressed to say the least.
Shug

Shug,

You're the only one impressed. Possibly to much juggling.  LL~

It's interesting, someone Posts a photo of a finished model without a build, and the photo gets 105 hits in 40 minutes!  n~

My best photo gets 8 hits in a month. Go figure?

Maybe I should just Post photos of finished models.  :!

In fact, I will do that with my next one.  ;D

Klingon Cloaking Mode.

Shug! You'll be doing a contest, congratulations!  H^^

Offline don boka

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 09:14:31 AM »
Charles, perhaps a few words of advice would be helpful in regards to the lack of interest in your projects. Simply, stick with one project, complete it and prove its worth by flying it. Then and only then, on to the next airplane! That is as simple as it gets!!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 11:37:42 AM »
Charles, perhaps a few words of advice would be helpful in regards to the lack of interest in your projects. Simply, stick with one project, complete it and prove its worth by flying it. Then and only then, on to the next airplane! That is as simple as it gets!!

Don,

Unfortunately I really don't have the attention span for that. I've mentioned this many times.

I did get the 007 Skyfall and the P-40 completed. To me, that's an accomplishment! All that is left is a clear coat. Waiting on two part clear in the mail. Any day.

As for the interest, certainly I'm kidding.

As for my next model, there will be no Thread or Posts. It will be in Klingon Cloaking Mode. KCM.

I'm really going to try to focus on just this model until I get the clear for the other two.

I'll clear both those models, assemble them and see how they fly. They should fly really well.

Then I will go back to this next model

That's my plan and I will try to maintain interest.

I am excited about this next model. It's my design and a scratch build. Sport scale.

Drawing plans as I type.  ;D

Thanks for the reply.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: P-40 Warhawk! Painting completed!!
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 06:04:41 PM »
Don,
Doing one model at a time? Done that, its boring. I like to have at least a couple ships going at the same time. I build at a kinda slow pace. As problems come up one ship, I do a little work on the other while I think through the problem. This keeps things interesting.

Best,     DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 05:28:38 PM »

Don,

You Posted this reply on September the 13 th.

I'd like you to know I'm taking your advice, and the advice of a few others.

Everything has been tabled for this new project I'm now working on. My own design and scratch built. A "Mean Lean Stunting Machine."

I'm focused on this model exclusively and I won't take on any other projects till it's completed and flown!

I have specks in a Text blog. No photos on this one.

Offline phil myers

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 10:12:31 AM »
Charles, I have to say your p40 is a work of art. I can only dream of finishing models like that tho if I ever had the skill I doubt I'd ever have the patience. Brilliant job

Phil

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 07:46:37 AM »
Charles, I have to say your p40 is a work of art. I can only dream of finishing models like that tho if I ever had the skill I doubt I'd ever have the patience. Brilliant job

Phil

Phil,

Just saw your reply and I apologize I didn't see it sooner. Better late than never.

Skills can be learned with practice but patience, I have no patience at all either, especially with model airplanes. In fact, I loose interest in any one model quite quickly. I'm trying really hard with this current one to maintain interest.

I've sold so many unfinished models and still have some left over from my years in R/C.  Actually a few new ones from CL also.  n~

To bad your on the other side of the Pond.

BTW. The wife and I did England about ten years ago. Loved it! Had a great time. People were friendly and wonderfull.   H^^

The fun and wonder ended in France.   LL~

I collected, restored, buy sell traded, British motorcars. My first, at age 17, was a Triumph TR2 long door.

The 1965 Morgan +4, which I restored, I decided to keep. Drove that Morgan for 30 great years.

I saw a few Morgans in England. One of them, I did manage to talk to the owner. It was outside a Pub. Told the wife I'd be ten minutes. We were there a couple of hours!

Thanks again for the reply.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 06:55:50 AM »
While searching for info on aerosol can paint, I stumbled onto this old Thread.

Thought I'd put a lid on it now that the model is completed, clear coated and assembled.

Way to go Avaiojet!  H^^  LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 07:25:19 AM »
outstanding job Charles. the only thing I would have done differently is to not do it as good! haha

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 08:49:50 AM »
and check out them treaded tires

Way to go buddy

still wish I had the patience and was able to work with pint like you do.

DAMN NICE   H^^ H^^
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 12:38:34 PM »
As always Charles, a beautiful ship.  How about a close-up or two of the cockpit?  Can't waite to see what your doing in KCM! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 07:24:27 AM »
As always Charles, a beautiful ship.  How about a close-up or two of the cockpit?  Can't waite to see what your doing in KCM! H^^

Glenn,

You're really a cleaver guy Glenn, I wish I had more like you. I'd have more replies!  LL~ LL~ LL~

Yes, I'm Cloaking the ARGO today.

Here's all I have on the cockpit.

Thanks for the reply, you know it's appreciated.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here