News:

• April 24, 2024, 07:18:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fibreglass tanks  (Read 1221 times)

Offline pipemakermike

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
fibreglass tanks
« on: July 29, 2014, 02:08:45 AM »
I am currently making a couple of glassfibre tanks for my vintaqe combat models.  I am using the method described by Mick Lewis, an expert UK combat flyer,  A good description is here:-
http://combatflyers.co.uk/howto-glass1.htm
Regards
Mike Nelson

Online qaz049

• Commander
Re: fibreglass tanks
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 04:33:05 AM »
I am currently making a couple of glassfibre tanks for my vintaqe combat models.  I am using the method described by Mick Lewis, an expert UK combat flyer,  A good description is here:-
http://combatflyers.co.uk/howto-glass1.htm

What sort of epoxy are you using Mike?

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 06:26:39 AM »
By the way, I've been using chicken-hopper tanks, like the one on page 3 of Mick Lewis's write-up, on a PAW 2.49 powered Peacemaker and a flapped profile own-design with an OS25FP-S.  They work beautifully but, being made of tinplate, were pretty tricky to bend and solder.  The glass fibre alternative sounds very attractive - must try it, especially as .008 tinplate is getting less and less easy to come by without paying for it!  Oh, yes - mine are Uniflo, with the Uniflo vent just entering the feed cell.
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Online qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 02:31:01 AM »
I've been moulding glass fibre uniflow tanks for diesel goodyear models and love the simplicity. So far just ordinary laminating epoxy seems to work well with the diesel fuel. I'd love to try a Mick Lewis style GF glow stunt tank for the same reason. Regrettably Methanol destroys the epoxy. My plan is to coat the insides and glue the pipes on with JB Weld which should be Methanol resistant. The JBW doesn't paint on very well but it can be done with a few coats, perhaps thinning it will help.

A friend built a front feed Anduril (Diesel Vintage Combat Model) tank out of Aluminium drink can material and glued the bits together with JB Weld. It seemed to work out well, and it was super light, but he didn't try it with glow fuel.

Mike North sells Barton B Class Team Race tanks make from Carbon Fibre cloth impregnated in Epoxy, so some types must be Methanol resistant..
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:54:38 AM by qaz049 »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here