News:

• March 29, 2024, 02:49:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: P-51 Mustang kit?  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
P-51 Mustang kit?
« on: July 28, 2014, 10:23:49 AM »
Anyone producing a P-51 Mustang kit?

I prefer something around 45" but nothing larger than 52".

Yes, it must stunt. No interest in plans or scratch building.

A nice kit would be fine.

Thanks in advance

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
Re: P-51 Mustang kit?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:56:23 AM »
You could try to track down a Sig Mustang stunter. Or go to RSM .I believe sells a Mustang

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 11:29:37 AM »
You could try to track down a Sig Mustang stunter. Or go to RSM .I believe sells a Mustang

Tony,

Thanks for the reply.

That Sig kit, I believe it has plastic fuselage sides. If so, I have no interest in it.

RSM's is 56" and is to large for my needs.

I should also mention, no profiles.

A vintage kit would be fine.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:58:10 AM »
House of Balsa could work.

46.5" in span.

Anyone know the kit?

Would rather have a CL kit.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 12:02:01 PM »

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »
Why not just build that Yak kit you were so graciously given?
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 01:22:49 PM »
Not a complete kit, but personally I'd look at

(1) Laser cut short kit for the Veco Mustang, 48" span and 408 square inches of wing area.  Ed at LaserWorks produces very nice parts - lazer-works.com/airplanes.html

(2) The Kenhi Mustang, 48" span and 456 square inches of wing area.  Mike Griffin here sold some laser cut kits; he or Eric Rule (RSM) www.rsmdistribution.com/index-2.htm might still be able to produce laser cut ribs or more.

I can supply plans for either.  And if it helps persuade Mike/Eric to produce laser cut ribs, count me in for a set too.

Dennis

stores.ebay.com/airclassix
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 01:23:10 PM »
I have a Laser cut Richards Kits Copy of the Veco Mustang (no hardware) 48" W.S. 408 sq.in. Excellent kit but it ain't cheap...
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 02:28:20 PM »
The Sig kit Has the Plastic top deck,air scoop and engine cowl.Not fuse sides. They are all easy fixes with balsa if you chose that option. It is also easy to work with. No need to shy away from it.
Also like Leester. I have the Richards Mustang. But not for sale..
 The House of balsa kits great for C/L scale. Not for stunters.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 05:30:02 PM »
The profile fuselage models don't interest me.

I think I know the Veco kit. The look isn't the P-51? Isn't the canopy forward a bit on that model?

The House of Balsa could be a useful project with a wing change.

Thanks for your replies,

Charles

Offline roger gebhart

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 07:14:10 PM »
Charles I have one of the kenhi mustang kits that mike made if your interested.  rog

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 07:14:29 PM »
Hello Charles
                       Here are some pictures of the Veco Mustang I did in 1968-69. I like the looks of it and I have in my collection a Richardskit Veco P-51 to build later on.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Juan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 07:44:03 PM »
You could try contacting Pat Johnston. He designed the RSM kit and can do a smaller unit. And he can laser cut parts.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Guy B Jr

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 11:00:47 PM »
I have a SIG Mustang kit that I will part with. E-mail me if you are interested.
Guy Blankinship

Offline larry richards

• Ensign
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 11:03:05 PM »
I have one remaining Veco Mustang left from my kit cutting years.  It is 80% laser cut with 9" canopy and modified plans of the original kit.  48" W.S.  Really nice wood in it too.  I sold 17 of these kits for
over $200.00.  You can have this one for $125.00 plus priority mail costs.  All block wood is light weight.   H^^

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 06:01:14 AM »
The Sig kit Has the Plastic top deck,air scoop and engine cowl.Not fuse sides. They are all easy fixes with balsa if you chose that option. It is also easy to work with. No need to shy away from it.
Also like Leester. I have the Richards Mustang. But not for sale..
 The House of balsa kits great for C/L scale. Not for stunters.

Its a very able performer, even on the porky side.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 07:21:46 AM »
how much do the SIG mustang kits go for now a days?

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
how much do the SIG mustang kits go for now a days?

about $100
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 09:15:18 AM »
 I've built 4 Sig Mustang Stunters since they hit the market. The trick is to replace all the wood. Sig only sold the  good bulk wood to the hobby shops. The left over wood went into the kits. On the foam wing. Get a hold of Johnny Duncan. To either cut you a wing or send him your wing to be cored out. He has the templates.  With a good .35 or .40 you will have a very decent flying plane.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 08:54:03 PM »
Tony,

Even though I have plenty of experience building models with foam wings, I'd rather not get into it.

I really prefer built up wings. And I hate making wings.

Thanks for the reply.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here