News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:56:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My New Old Ares  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
My New Old Ares
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:23:11 AM »
The Ares....new to me. Bought it from a feller making room for other planes in his basement.
Flies so nice and smooth. Built and flown by Keith Sandberg then sold the sold again and now sold to me.
Powered by a Double Star .40 engine. Just a beautiful plane.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))
Shug

[/url]

Ares
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: My New Old Ares
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 10:03:55 AM »
Sweet!

Rumor has it -One of Billy's best designs.

Your rolling in high cotton now!
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 11:06:06 AM »
  Now that you have flown some good, well trimmed models, it's a real eye opener and helps you see what you need to do to improve your own models, and what to do a look for on the next ones you build. You've hooked up with a good group up there, just too much winter for me in the Great White North!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 11:45:56 AM »
Heck Dan there is too much snow in St Louis for this southern boy.  H^^  LL~
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 12:36:56 PM »
Very nice! Mine is a lot of fun to fly, and I like to think of it as an old friend. I won't fly it for a very long time, and I'll take it out to knock the dust off. I'll always get a one flip start and flies like I remember it always did.
Matt Colan

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 01:33:15 PM »
Shug,

Great find!

Interesting the way things have changed.

Late 50's and early 60's you hardly ever heard of a model being for sale or someone bringing a model to the field he didn't build himself.

I bought my Smoothie, but got lucky on that, I believe 1963? Give or take a year.

I had to build my Ares.

Fast forward to today and I find myself waiting for a stash to go up for sale, I'll know soon what's there.

Shug, do you think you'll try your hand at building? I won't be mad if you don't.

I will tell you this. Your activity as a modeler, who gets out and flies and brings that activity to the Forum, has prompted myself to put together an ARF Pathfinder, so I can fly more often.

Yes, I flew it yesterday!

Shug Emery "Woooooo Buddy)))))" Fan Club, member #1.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline steve bittner

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 02:16:28 PM »
Does any body have a vcr tape that was put out by Billie on building the Ares they would be willing to sell. I checked with Bob Hunt, he said he didn't anymore. Thanks

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 02:36:34 PM »
Sweet!

Rumor has it -One of Billy's best designs.

Your rolling in high cotton now!
Billy? Who?
I love being waist deep in the high cotton!

Hey Shug. I've built and flown 6 Ares. All flew great.  I think of it as the true All American Stunt Plane. y1 H^^
Six...wow! I want to build one someday too.

Now that you have flown some good, well trimmed models, it's a real eye opener and helps you see what you need to do to improve your own models, and what to do a look for on the next ones you build. You've hooked up with a good group up there, just too much winter for me in the Great White North!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
Very true. I will build this Winter for sure. After looking at Keith's builds I am inspired to be better at it, be patient and really try.
This Summer has been about airtime.

Very nice! Mine is a lot of fun to fly, and I like to think of it as an old friend. I won't fly it for a very long time, and I'll take it out to knock the dust off. I'll always get a one flip start and flies like I remember it always did.
I like hearing that. I'm just happy to not bonk it in on my first flight with it.

Shug,

Great find!

Interesting the way things have changed.

Late 50's and early 60's you hardly ever heard of a model being for sale or someone bringing a model to the field he didn't build himself.

I bought my Smoothie, but got lucky on that, I believe 1963? Give or take a year.

I had to build my Ares.

Fast forward to today and I find myself waiting for a stash to go up for sale, I'll know soon what's there.

Shug, do you think you'll try your hand at building? I won't be mad if you don't.

I will tell you this. Your activity as a modeler, who gets out and flies and brings that activity to the Forum, has prompted myself to put together an ARF Pathfinder, so I can fly more often.

Yes, I flew it yesterday!

Shug Emery "Woooooo Buddy)))))" Fan Club, member #1.

I put the word out to my club I was looking to buy and got some responses. And I did not know if folks sold older planes. Thrilled to get them so I can work on flying.
Plan to build this Winter. Have an electric P-51 ready to be built from RSM.
Good to hear about the Pathfinder....I have been eyeballing that one for sure. Looks so good. How did it fly????

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

steven yampolsky

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »
Wow, that plane was hauling! How fast was it? 4.5?

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 03:04:43 PM »
I put the word out to my club I was looking to buy and got some responses. And I did not know if folks sold older planes. Thrilled to get them so I can work on flying.
Plan to build this Winter. Have an electric P-51 ready to be built from RSM.
Good to hear about the Pathfinder....I have been eyeballing that one for sure. Looks so good. How did it fly?

Shug,

Flew great on 60' lines with a OS LA 46 I purchased on ebay. Tight lines inside and out.

Needs a tad of trimming, but for an ARF, I'm all set! BTW. The Pathfinder is no longer available.

Was such a great ARF they discontinued it.  n~

I can't wait to see what will be up for sale as ABBSE, aleady built by someone else.  ;D

Don't have to ruin the stuff, I labered to build and finish, trying to do a loop.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Works for me!!

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 05:29:49 PM »
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 10:56:58 PM »
Wow, that plane was hauling! How fast was it? 4.5?
Well the video was from a couple different flights that day. Some laps I clocked at 5:02 (shot from my back) and some at 4.75 shot from the side. first time flying that engine so some sailing in to do and some different props to try.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 10:58:15 PM »
Shug,

Flew great on 60' lines with a OS LA 46 I purchased on ebay. Tight lines inside and out.

Needs a tad of trimming, but for an ARF, I'm all set! BTW. The Pathfinder is no longer available.

Was such a great ARF they discontinued it.  n~

I can't wait to see what will be up for sale as ABBSE, aleady built by someone else.  ;D

Don't have to ruin the stuff, I labered to build and finish, trying to do a loop.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Works for me!!

Nice! Too bad the great ARFs go away.
Hey, I have an LA .46 on the way. Excited.
Hope you find a good used plane to buy.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here