News:

• April 24, 2024, 05:05:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Subtitute for Klotz oil?  (Read 3556 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Subtitute for Klotz oil?
« on: July 25, 2014, 12:42:35 PM »
      Hi All:

I can not seem to find any Klotz oil in my area.  What other brand would work for our stunt engines?

Tia,

Frank

Offline Kevin Ferguson

• New Pilot
Re: Subtitute for Klotz oil?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:08:06 PM »
Klotz is unfortunately used as a synonym for castor oil, when in fact Klotz markets various oils, only the Bēnöl product is all castor oil.  Klotz Technoplate is synthetic, and Technoplate-plus has 20% castor.

So assuming you are asking about castor oil, I have used medicinal castor oil with no issues, even though I have been warned that castor for engine use should be degummed, and USP castor might not be.  Walmart was the only place I found it in stock.

As for synthetic, you are on your own, but I would avoid two-stroke oils intended for marine use.  Water cooled engines run much cooler.  Something intended for chainsaws or dirt bikes is more likely to protect a model engine.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 01:37:53 PM »
      Hi All:

I can not seem to find any Klotz oil in my area.  What other brand would work for our stunt engines?

Tia,

Frank

Frank

Just buy it from SIG or Tower,They sell it in qts, and gallons
 or buy fuel that has the synthetic in it already

Randy

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 02:29:09 PM »
    Hi All:

No, I was not asking about castor oil.

Back in old country, I used FAI fuel and the castor cost $3.00 per gallon for USP grade.  This was 1974.  Words like degummed seemed to be mystery as nobody could describe what degummed meant.  I think that the Baker Castor Oil Co. used this to describe their castor oil.  Perhaps it was a bit of sales hype.

I have used nothing but castor for lube for many years without any problems.  I thought that I would try a blend of castor and Klotz for the "newer" engines in my fleet.  The Klotz was supposed to keep the engine free from harmful castor residue.  For a couple of years, I used only Klotz 100 with fine results

I did find some oils called TORCO and one named MOTUL at a bike shop but will they work with alcohol is the question.

Thanks for the replies,

Frank

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 04:18:11 PM »
If you find Motul Micro 2-T, it's a very good synthetic oil. It is an especially good oil for engines like Retro Diacovery as it behaves much like castor.

L

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 04:36:45 PM »
Aren't there at least a jillion places on the internet that will sell you some Klotz oil and ship it to you? Have you tried to Google Klotz Oil?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 04:01:39 AM by BillLee »
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 08:18:51 PM »
Aren't there at least a jillion places on the internet that will sell you some Klotz oil and ship it to you? Have you tried to Google Lotz Oil?

Here's the klotzlube.com RC(CL) catalog:
http://www.klotzlube.com/products.asp?cat=8
Benol pure castor is on the first page. The labels all say whether it's compatible with alcohol, gasoline, etc.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 05:27:57 AM »
     Hi Guys:

Thanks for all of the help.

Perhaps Klotz oil is not the smartest idea that I have had for awhile, Lol Klotz is $13.69 plus shipping per QUART from tower Hobbies. It can not be that much better than castor oil!

Club fuel, 11-11 oil 10% nitro at $15.00 per gallon, LHS fuel at $20.00 per gallon, castor oil at $14.00 per gallon  nitro at $23.00 per gallon and alcohol at $1.00 per gallon I may not find Klotz very attractive.

I like to KNOW what I am using for fuel in my engines.  I have had some fuel with NO oil that ruined a good engine in a very short time. Perhaps I should check for oil in all fuel that I buy! Lol

Thanks again,

Frank

Frank

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 10:34:11 AM »
If there are any race tracks in your area -- go-cart, drag race, or auto -- see if there's a speed shop associated with it.  Such a place may have everything you want, and more.

And yes -- fuel components are spendy.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 04:33:43 PM »
    Hi All:

No, I was not asking about castor oil.

Back in old country, I used FAI fuel and the castor cost $3.00 per gallon for USP grade.  This was 1974.  Words like degummed seemed to be mystery as nobody could describe what degummed meant.  I think that the Baker Castor Oil Co. used this to describe their castor oil.  Perhaps it was a bit of sales hype.

I have used nothing but castor for lube for many years without any problems.  I thought that I would try a blend of castor and Klotz for the "newer" engines in my fleet.  The Klotz was supposed to keep the engine free from harmful castor residue.  For a couple of years, I used only Klotz 100 with fine results

I did find some oils called TORCO and one named MOTUL at a bike shop but will they work with alcohol is the question.

Thanks for the replies,

Frank

Here's everything you want to know about various Castor Oils!

http://www.castoroil.in/reference/glossary/castor_dictionary.html

Example:

First Pressed Degummed Castor Oil
Definition
First pressed degummed grade castor oil is an early product of castor seed produced by degumming process, which involves the removal of plant polymeric substances to improve oil’s texture, colour etc.
- See more at: http://www.castoroil.in/reference/glossary/castor_dictionary.html#sthash.amzCAlMr.dpuf
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 07:22:37 AM »
      Hi All:

Thanks for all of the replies.

Doug, this is they of information that i was looking to find. Thank you.

I researched Castor Oil in the early 70's but that was a long time ago.  It seemed to me that there was a bit of information that seemed to contradict other information.

Like I said, I have used Castor Oil for a long time and have not had any problems with it.  Now with AAC, AAN etc. there may be a better blend of fuel to be had.

Again, thanks for the replies!

Stay well my friends,

Frank

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 08:36:58 AM »
If you want to see THE treatise on castor oil in model engines, go read http://www.go-cl.se/castor.html
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 09:16:05 AM »
Thanks for the Links Bill and Doug. Copied into my files of "Things I like to know."
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 02:14:54 PM »
I've been using Cool Power gold castor recently and it works great. Still readily available as far as I know.only thing is it's not degummed so a squirt of CRC or WD40 is ideal if the engine isn't to be used for some time to prevent gumming up.
NZL7396

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 07:04:17 AM »
      Hi:

I have found that WD 40 is NOT a suitable oil for long time storage of model engines or firearms!

Frank

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
      Hi:

I have found that WD 40 is NOT a suitable oil for long time storage of model engines or firearms!

Frank
Same here, it dries up and leaves lots of solids behind. I made a living working on photocopiers, real electromechanical pains in the ass. Some of our techs oiled the chrome plated scanner rails(and other parts) with WD40 and they ground themselves to slag in short order. I've had to warn many of my fellow saltwater fishing enthusiasts away from it. Thay all think reels only last a few Summers no matter what. I clobber mine with fresh water spray after every day of fishing and occasionally oil it with air tool oil, same as my after run oil. My Daiwa 4000-C reel is in its 35th Summer and as free moving as when I bought it in '79.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 01:09:31 AM »
      Hi:

Frank

I don't actually use WD40, mentioned it and CRC is probably not sold in the US. I am in New Zealand, different products here. I've been told a small squirt of auto transmission fluid works well, never tried it though.
NZL7396

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 03:06:18 AM »
.. I've been told a small squirt of auto transmission fluid works well, never tried it though.
Yes I've heard that as well, and have used it a couple of times and found it stays thin and wet. Seems good.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 04:22:05 AM »
      Hi All:

I have been using ATF for quite a time. It appears to be a good storage and after run oil. I have found that the engines start up much easier after using it if I flush the engines with fuel, brake cleaner, or carb cleaner.  Perhaps the ATF does not like to burn.

Good luck,

Frank

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 08:00:21 AM »

an other sourse of caster is Blendzall  used in Go Carts and Motorcycles  ,i have been running it in my F2C team racers for 10 years with no problems
rad racer

Offline Lane Puckett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 07:14:21 AM »
Bob,
Are you using the racing castor light 35W or the regular 45W?
http://www.blendzall.com/

Thanks,
Lane

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 06:30:26 PM »
FHS Red Max 62R is probably rebranded Klotz supertechniplate.

MM

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 08:20:25 PM »
Before Howard went with electrons, he scrambled to find a source of genuine UCON oil (LB-625). He ended up buying a drum, I think, and I bought a gallon jug from him. The rumor was that Klotz is just dyed UCON LB-625. Howard didn't want to pay for the dye, at any price. He ended up buying it from Rich's Brew (Riches Brew?) and paying a ton of shipping charges. Anyway, I'd suggest that either Klotz is fine, whether you buy it with the 20% castor or maybe you want to add the castor yourself?  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 06:22:28 PM »
The castor in Klotz and other products labled castor are not the same as the Sig AAA castor we know and love. It is thinned out and has various additives. You don't want to mix these things with each other as some react badly. Had one batch of fuel turn green another purple.

MM

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2014, 08:15:13 PM »
  In this day and age, almost ALL motorcycle two stroke remix oils will state if they will blend with alcohol or not. If it doesn't state it on the label, it probably won't. Some manufacturers, like Klotz, use little symbols, like a boat, chain saw, or an airplane or engine instead of actual words, so look for that also. Klotz added to the oil mix will help the engine stay cleaner longer. I add it to my all castor fuel for Fox engines. I like SIG fuel because it is blended with Klotz half and half with castor. I have never had a ring stick in a ring groove, and engines don't seem to get as stiff between flying session. Any good motorcycle shop, or hobby shop that sells SIG products can get you Klotz Techniplate oil.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here