News:

• April 23, 2024, 11:42:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: volunteers  (Read 1010 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
volunteers
« on: July 24, 2014, 09:42:30 PM »

i am going to split this up into 2 parts ,but they go to gether ..on our long ride back to Florida i had time to think about all the volunteers it take to run any contest ,never mind the nats. what got me thinking was seeing Bob Zambelli a stunt flyer doing the line pull testing of all the scale ships .and i look back at the four stunt and scale contests i  try ti attend each year
  VSC has thier group that makes it work.  Bill Lee and Linda from texas  spend 5 days as pit Boss's, i dont think Bill has evsr flown a stunt ship but enjoys helping and being part of things
  Brodaks could not live without a lot of flyers taking the time to judge other class's and then rushing over to put thier flights in. they have 4 stunt circles going all at one time  .thats 8 judges each day plus scale, racing and carrier,that someone has to take the time to run plus do thier thing.i see the same pit Boss's and line pull guys every year and always with a smile.

huntersville and our little contest in tampa is the sane way the same guys volunteer every year and lets not forget the KOI.  and thats just contest i go to.

so just remember that that guy judging your scale ship or judging your flight could just as easily be sitting in the shade waiting for his flight or we could all be home watching NASCAR.
rad racer

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
Re: volunteers
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 07:27:05 AM »
Well said.
Many events I attend as a participant rides on the shoulder of volunteers. I'm always amazed at their hard work and the fact that they give their time. I know i need to do more of that.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 08:46:39 AM »
What a wonderful post!! Having just returned from Muncie and being a scale judge and PAMPA pit boss I must reply.Nobody twisted my arm for either event but being an up-n-comer I do it because paying your dues is all part of the equation.Not to mention the education that watching,learning affords.I was asked many months ago to be a pit boss and JUMPED at the chance.Being on the flight line with fliers like Fitzgerald,Walker,Werewage,Hunt,Barry.......you tend to learn........alot.After winning Intermediate CLPA at the nats I was givin the choice of a free ride and fly in Advanced or be pit boss.The CD would'nt let me do both.I committed to the PB job months ago so PB it was.That is how important volunteering is to the completion of a contest.They could have made it without me but letting everyone else down for my pleasure did'nt sound appealing.I'll fly in Advanced at the Nats next year(PAMPA.....I'll cash in the free pass raincheck then!!)and feel good about doing the right thing this year.Just like Shake-n-Bake........It feels good to say "I HELPED".

VOLUNTEERING THIS YEAR MIGHT MEAN YOU HAVE A CONTEST TO GO TO NEXT YEAR!!! H^^ H^^
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 07:38:51 PM »
  What a job you and Dave Wenzel did! Thanks for keeping everything straight.
        Doug

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 08:06:05 PM »
Many events I attend as a participant rides on the shoulder of volunteers. I'm always amazed at their hard work and the fact that they give their time. I know i need to do more of that.

All you need to do is look for a job that's being neglected, and ask "can I do that?"
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here