News:

• April 16, 2024, 04:54:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ET-2 Mark 2  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
ET-2 Mark 2
« on: July 23, 2014, 01:20:12 PM »
The design is progressing.  This version has a coroplast fuselage, wing incidence, tail incidence and downthrust.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ET-2 Mark 2
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 02:37:02 PM »
Oooh, pretty.  Now if only you could get a smaller motor controller, designed by someone smart enough to keep it working long enough to actually fly.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 04:30:15 PM »
I'm open to hearing from volunteers  LL~ LL~ LL~

DesignMan

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:52:31 AM »
Cool Larry!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 12:30:51 AM »
the first flight was rather gutsy, as I trained a total newbie.  After one lap I let him have total control and he flew it to an acceptable landing.  After staggering about a bit, he was ready for another go and did the entire flight solo. Two other non-regular CL fliers tackled the model and flew it.  No damage! 

I still think the trim could be improved with more downthrust and stabilizer angle, but it obviously is survivable as is.

Tim Wescott is developing an affordable timer and everything else is working out to be a reasonable cost intro trainer that our club can sell at our training sessions.  We will donate the cost of construction, of course but the out of pocket should allow a reasonable purchase price to those interested. I am hoping for $50, but reasonably sure we can stay under $80 with the total plane, battery, power system and charger. Certainly in line with a '60s Pt-19, fuel, battery system.

I really appreciate Eric Rule of rsmdistribution.com supporting  both this project and the ET-1 trainer.  Contact him if you want to participate. He is the guy laser cutting all the important parts!

This project is part of the Knights of the Round Circle effort to expose and alert and train kids to the sport of control line flying. Over the last few years we have trained over 500 kids on our ET-1 models.  Every once and a while a parent has come to us saying "Where do we go from here?" and we have had no good answer.  The ET-2 is our plan. A simple, ready to fly model that can be flown anywhere, and as a total system at a reasonable cost.

I hope this catches on, as I don't see any other programs on the horizon for wide distribution. The efforts of ourselves and others in flight training venues will not generate the interest of kids dragging their friends out to fly.

To do that they need the equivalent of the old Cox models that were available just about in every toy store. We can not achieve this, but there is still some that we can do.  The Knights of the Round Circle is supporting this effort!

DesignMan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 08:39:56 AM »
Larry, how do we thank you for what you are trying do.   I remember helping the late Dale Kirn at a NATS with the Cox PT-19's and getting people on the handle.   Also each hour he would draw a name of a person who had tried to fly and give the PT-19 package to them.   The reason I remember this most is one young man that wanted one so bad and you could tell he could not afford it.   He would stay and put up a flight each hour and volunteered to help us with picking up pieces and what ever asked of him.  The last hour was done and Dale drew the name.   The young lad was heart broken as he still did not win.  But the Dale as loud as could called the lad by name and announced to everyone within hearing distance this young lad was getting his PT-19.    By they way how many remember the down thrust that you put on the engine when first learning.   I still can't remember how many people we went through that day.   Melvin Schuette was even helping on most of the flights.   We were all tired by the end of the day. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 11:09:29 AM »
Tim Wescott is developing an affordable timer

The status of which is that it has been tested and works fine on a 5V input.  Due to an oversight on my part I specified a part (a voltage regulator) that can't withstand an input voltage of more than 6V (the battery puts out about 9V, dropping to 7V in flight).  Due to sheer laziness compounded by a lack of parts, I never tested it in the final configuration.

The regulator would hold together with the battery plugged in, but as soon as the motor started up -- POOF!

Fortunately, the regulator that I specified has a pin-for-pin replacement that'll solder onto the board without modification, and that part is good for a 16V input and only a couple of dimes more expensive.

I can't help looking at this thing, and at the Air Hog chuck glider that I have, and thinking that if you could make 10,000 of these at a time, you could mold them out of foam and put them in stores for $50 to $80 a pop.  If only you could sell enough...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 11:12:24 AM »
Larry
Didn't you post the drawings for this at one time?  Have you tried the pattern with this plane?  I have a new guy (RC guy) who my son is going to build a plane for and this looks like the ticket.
Thanks
Duke

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 02:04:25 PM »
What is the rational for all the down-thrust, and tail incidence? 

The ones we use are all 0 -0 -0

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 09:53:15 PM »
Never mind I found the drawing. Thanks

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 11:18:09 PM »
The ET-2 flies a flawless pattern...it takes off the ground, flies level and lands. IT'S A TRAINER!

You want a patten, buy a Sky Sport, Sky Streak or Baby Magician, all my designs capable of competitive performance in the 500 point range.  rsmdistribution.com , Eric Rule kits them all along with the ET-1 and 2.

As far as the incidence settings and trim, I am dealing with a model that has about 1/2 the thrust compared to weight. And a wing loading that is rather high. There is no margin for error. The model has to trim out like a free-flight, not a stunter.  Trust me!

DesignMan

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 11:59:19 PM »
Larry, that picture is the trainer we use to fly about 2000 kids in a week at EAA ariventure.   The Engine is a Norvel 061, and some of engines have been in service for 5 years.  They are not world beaters.  The prop of choice is an old top flight 6x2.  Not real efficient.   

They wont loop or wing over, can only do gentle climbs and dives without mushing in.  They glide like bricks, but are not crash-able,

So you went with the down thrust and incidence due to the low power, not stability reasons? Like running a more forward CG?
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 12:30:28 AM »
What is the rational for all the down-thrust, and tail incidence? 

The ones we use are all 0 -0 -0

Dave,

Really nice looking model. I see you're using the Ringmaster airfoil.  S?P  LL~
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 09:18:23 AM »
The way to get a good glide is to balance the thrust angle against stabilizer trim so that the wing continues to fly at a reasonable angle of attack after the power quits. The alternative is to use a large elevator, something I don't want on a trainer.  I am trying to achieve a free-flight model that happens to fly in a circle and can have its altitude adjusted by the pilot, but not too much.

DesignMan

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »
Ok, you set it up for a good glide with the limited horizontal surfaces, then cranked in enough down-thrust to fly level under power.

The Kidventue airplanes are nose heavy, have limited power and elevator command, and glide poorly.  But we hand launch over grass so it is fine.

You are probably on pavement, and need to make a smoother landing. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 01:47:55 PM »
Yup, I just cant stand a plane that is uncontrollable except under power. I am building the Mark 3 as soon as I get some parts from Eric Rule. Tim Wescott already has a set of those parts as a thank-you for developing the timer.

We may need to buy a moderately large number of the timers. Anybody out there want to buy one?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 08:19:15 AM by Larry Renger »

DesignMan

Offline Luiz Carlos Franco

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 03:50:39 PM »
I would buy one timer. More than one depending on the final price.
Remember, The E-flite timer (the simplest avaialable till now) is no longer sold.

Thanks

Luiz

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »
I would buy one timer. More than one depending on the final price.
Remember, The E-flite timer (the simplest avaialable till now) is no longer sold.

It's not a timer like the others on the market -- it's an integrated timer & power switch for a brushed motor.  So it works where Hubin/Renicle/Burger-style timers won't, and it won't work where those style timers will.

I think Will Hubin sells some of his timers pretty cheap, if you want a timer for a brushless/ESC combo.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here