News:

• March 29, 2024, 03:09:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OT, but someone may NEED this  (Read 780 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
OT, but someone may NEED this
« on: July 23, 2014, 07:07:34 AM »
Edith's crazy cousin Bought a 1950 Ford Crown Vic. WOODY 40 years ago. She drove it home and proceeded to dismantle it.....
It has been in a dry garage since. I have seen some pictures and it's in real good shape, considering it's almost as old as I am.
I may be able to find some pics to email you if you are interested, and I'll get you her telephone number.
She is asking $12K

Thanks

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: OT, but someone may NEED this
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:04:44 AM »
My first car was a 50 Ford, bought it for $35.00 with a blown engine. Bought a 51 that had been wrecked for $20.00. Myself and 3 friends carried the engine out of the 51 and stuck it in the 50 with a chain and 4X4. Drove that car for two years before buying a 56 Pontiac convertable. Would like to have the old ladies car but out of my price range.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 10:14:43 AM »
But, it's a Ford, and therefore should be discounted at least 50%

F.C.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 10:35:58 AM »
I had an opportunity to buy a '46 Mercury Woodie wagon for $250 (in 1974), but had no place to put it and work on it. :'(  Had lots of spare parts and all the wood pieces needed to make it nice. It would be worth mega $$$ today, and being an early Mercury, worth well over $ix figures.

It might help to know where the '50 Fjord Woodie is located, Mr. Peabody. NJ, I'd guess, but then again, maybe not?  D>K Steve

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:41:17 AM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 11:08:10 AM »
Edith's crazy cousin Bought a 1950 Ford Crown Vic. WOODY 40 years ago. She drove it home and proceeded to dismantle it.....
It has been in a dry garage since. I have seen some pictures and it's in real good shape, considering it's almost as old as I am.
I may be able to find some pics to email you if you are interested, and I'll get you her telephone number.
She is asking $12K

If it's really disassembled then she should check prices for similar projects in similar states of completion and rarity, and reconsider her asking price.  She may even want to get a professional restorer, with experience doing wood-bodied cars, to give her an estimate of what it would take to go from what she has to a finished car.  Then she can price out similar finished cars, subtract the restorer's estimate, and price the thing accordingly.

One of the ongoing frustrations in the car builder world is people who have some old car, look at the prices of completed, show-quality articles, and price their disassembled rusty bucket of bolts way too high.

If it weren't a Woody, and if it's really disassembled, and it's in perfect shape otherwise, it's probably worth $1000 absolute tops.  Maybe $1500 because its in the Land of Salt.  I don't think that being a Woody adds $11,000.

If it were a 2-door sedan or similar, and it was complete, unrestored, together, running and solid (meaning no rust holes), $6000 would be a fair price in Oregon.  You could maybe add another $1000 because it's in the Land of Salt.  Maybe -- maybe, if its real wood and if the wood is in perfect shape -- a Woody in similar shape would be worth $12,000.  But not one that's in pieces on the floor.

It being a Woody complicates things -- which is why she should check.  Again, if it's really wood and not painted on, then the condition of the wood has a huge impact on the asking price.  Wood that's good enough for patterns is worth a lot more than a pile of dry rot.  Wood that's absolutely complete and ready to be sanded and varnished is worth a lot more than wood that's good enough for patterns.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 12:09:55 PM »
If it's south jersey it's probably full of termites.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 04:59:32 PM »
The car is in New York State.....
Really quite nice.....she didn't own a ton of tools, so I imagine that she couldn't get it down to the tiniest piece.....it rolls, and has the engine and trans in it...

Have fun

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 05:35:49 PM »
Send your original message to 'Car and Driver' and/or 'Hot Rod' magazines.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here