News:

• April 23, 2024, 05:35:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A project for Chris Rud  (Read 749 times)

Online frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
A project for Chris Rud
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:42:25 PM »
Chris,
OK Chris, your task, should you decide to accept it, is to use your neat camera arrangement and turn it 90 degrees and video the top of the wing.  Before you fly you tape down some 1" to 1 1/2" strips of string (in a contrasting color to your wing color)  in several rows across the wing and a set on the flaps too.  You don't need to do both wings, just in view of the camera.  Turn the camera on, fly, and do some maneuevers. Any flow separations will result in the strings curling up.  Your might also do this with and without some vortex generators to see what effect they really have.  It will be interesting to see the flap deflections also.   You might also turn the camera around a bit more and do the same thing for the stab and elevator.
Frank

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: A project for Chris Rud
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 09:46:29 PM »

That would be cool. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Chris_Rud

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:53:12 PM »
Chris,
OK Chris, your task, should you decide to accept it, is to use your neat camera arrangement and turn it 90 degrees and video the top of the wing.  Before you fly you tape down some 1" to 1 1/2" strips of string (in a contrasting color to your wing color)  in several rows across the wing and a set on the flaps too.  You don't need to do both wings, just in view of the camera.  Turn the camera on, fly, and do some maneuevers. Any flow separations will result in the strings curling up.  Your might also do this with and without some vortex generators to see what effect they really have.  It will be interesting to see the flap deflections also.   You might also turn the camera around a bit more and do the same thing for the stab and elevator.
Frank

I will do it. Does anybody want to donate the vortex generators?

Online frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 07:21:42 AM »
Great, Chris
I'll send you some vg's to try and some suggestions on tuft locations. 
pm me your mail address.
I've wanted to do this for years.  The nearest we came was to try to photograph from outside the circle.
You're gonna make a great flight test engineer.
Frank

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here