News:

• April 19, 2024, 08:17:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Completing an ARF.  (Read 7476 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Completing an ARF.
« on: July 22, 2014, 12:02:01 PM »
My hat comes off to any modeler that has completed an ARF.  H^^

And still has control of all his faculties.  LL~ LL~ LL~
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:47:28 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Completing an ARF.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 04:53:08 PM »
My first ARF was the Top Flite Nobler.   I sat and read instructions several time before starting as well as looking at the components.  All I changed was the bell crank and lead outs.  It is still flying with its third engine I'm breaking in.   The second was the Top Flite Flite Streak.   Didn't change a thing on it other than the fuel tank and a trim tab to level the wings.   The last one was a Oriental that flew great when first done.   But, I messed something up when I put it together because after about 30 flights could not keep the wing in the fuselage.   That is when I cut into it and redid the joints and put a ball link on the flap horn that was wearing out.  Also recovered it.   It is now in the hands of another modeler.   Have an ARC still in the box that may stay there because of BOM rules.   I like to build so more ARF's for me unless someone has one they want assembled.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:18:30 AM »
I had been planning on getting an Oriental kit and the thought of an ARF never crossed my mind. I was telling one of our members about my plans to build it and he said ,"You want an Oriental?, Look over there and get one." There was one in a big box and I realized it was an ARF. He is a Brodak dealer so had all kinds of stuff in the package. He gave it to me for his cost and now I'm about to start buil... putting it together. I'm glad too because lately building, cutting and sanding has been flaring up my arthritic shoulder, the one on my flying arm, so badly I can hardly walk straight, and can never sleep. Notice the time stamp on this post, 3AM. My prematurely ageing body might prevent me from doing many more major builds, I'm painfully finishing one now, so I might turn into an ARFie, one of those I used to make light fun of. I do plan to build a few 1/2As this Fall, it'll still hurt but not quite so demanding as the larger planes.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:22:43 AM »
...I like to build so more ARF's for me unless someone has one they want assembled.
John, do you mean "No more ARFS?"
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »
Only if someone gives me one to assemble for them.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 03:08:44 PM »
Guys,
I'm gonna give an atta boy to Brodak and Top Flite for their ARFs. Many of us do not have the time to build. I barely have time to fly a couple times a month.

These ARFs may not be the equivalent of a kit or scratch build. They may require some tweaking and modifying, but they are the only way to enjoy flying for many of us. And yes, I have few faculties left that I need to control.

I believe the larger Brodak ARFs are an incredible value that fly better than I ever will.

So thanks John!

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 03:40:26 PM »
Guys,
I'm gonna give an atta boy to Brodak and Top Flite for their ARFs. Many of us do not have the time to build. I barely have time to fly a couple times a month.

These ARFs may not be the equivalent of a kit or scratch build. They may require some tweaking and modifying, but they are the only way to enjoy flying for many of us. And yes, I have few faculties left that I need to control.

I believe the larger Brodak ARFs are an incredible value that fly better than I ever will.

So thanks John!

They also work great for a kid in college trying to get some extra flying time in! I've put together two Vector ARF's at school, one with an LA 46 and one with a PA 40UL on a pipe. I messed up on a couple things on the first one and it flew good, but not spectacular. After I plowed it into the runway at KOI, I put together a new one with the PA for motivation. With a Tom Morris control system in it, and the piped engine, the plane flies fantastic! It's actually one of the best flying airplanes I have.

With a little bit of work, ARF's can definitely perform well and be fully competitive in expert

Matt Colan

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 03:52:51 PM »
My Oriental project is still about a couple of weeks away from starting, but I think I'll start a build thread here so I can tap y'all for advice on making it a solid long lasting plane. I already plan to use CF control rods and firm up the area under the LG with epoxy and fiberglass, new wrapped leadouts, all the obvious things. This will be my first full fuse plane. Got an FP40 for power.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 04:25:14 PM »
ARF completed!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:44:22 PM by Avaiojet »
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 12:11:12 AM »
I have assembled the Top Flite ARFs, Flite Streak, Tutor II,  Score , and the Brodak Oriental and Smoothie. All got upgraded controls, ( bell cranks, ball links and CF push rods). Streak flew great w/ OS .25 FP, Tutor was perfect with an LA .46.  Score is porky, but flies fine with a ST .60 up front. All are good value if you can find them close to original price...
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 04:45:05 PM »
Fixed this photo also.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 04:51:04 PM »
I had been planning on getting an Oriental kit and the thought of an ARF never crossed my mind. I was telling one of our members about my plans to build it and he said ,"You want an Oriental?, Look over there and get one." There was one in a big box and I realized it was an ARF. He is a Brodak dealer so had all kinds of stuff in the package. He gave it to me for his cost and now I'm about to start buil... putting it together. I'm glad too because lately building, cutting and sanding has been flaring up my arthritic shoulder, the one on my flying arm, so badly I can hardly walk straight, and can never sleep. Notice the time stamp on this post, 3AM. My prematurely ageing body might prevent me from doing many more major builds, I'm painfully finishing one now, so I might turn into an ARFie, one of those I used to make light fun of. I do plan to build a few 1/2As this Fall, it'll still hurt but not quite so demanding as the larger planes.
Rusty

I'm way late here -- but get that shoulder checked.  If it's a soft tissue issue (like the bursitis in my right shoulder) then there's things that can be done.  If it really is arthritis of one form or another, even then you may be able to come back from it at least partially.

I'm currently doing all the prescribed exercises for my shoulder, plus a strength-building one specific to flying a 4-pound plane that's pulling away at 3g.  I'm getting better, and look forward to resuming my normal flying schedule.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 05:06:51 PM »
I'm way late here -- but get that shoulder checked.  If it's a soft tissue issue (like the bursitis in my right shoulder) then there's things that can be done.  If it really is arthritis of one form or another, even then you may be able to come back from it at least partially.

I'm currently doing all the prescribed exercises for my shoulder, plus a strength-building one specific to flying a 4-pound plane that's pulling away at 3g.  I'm getting better, and look forward to resuming my normal flying schedule.
Yes, Tim, thanks, you are spot on. Very important to rehab it, but it takes willpower and much patience. I'm a veteran shoulder rehabber.

Do the homework, make the time, integrate it into your daily routine. You'll be proud of your accomplishment when it gets better. And learn your limits to avoid frustrating maddening setbacks. It's worth it. Good luck with yours.
Rusty the rehabber
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 05:14:14 PM »
Yes, Tim, thanks, you are spot on. Very important to rehab it, but it takes willpower and much patience. I'm a veteran shoulder rehabber.

Do the homework, make the time, integrate it into your daily routine. You'll be proud of your accomplishment when it gets better. And learn your limits to avoid frustrating maddening setbacks. It's worth it. Good luck with yours.
Rusty the rehabber

I've tried this before with knees and back and could never do it but for a day here or a day there -- but now I eat breakfast, say "I'm going to work on flying better stunt", and do my damned exercises.  It's held for over a week -- we'll see how it works in the long term.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here