News:

• April 16, 2024, 09:25:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adjustable leadouts on my new Skyray?  (Read 5614 times)

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
Adjustable leadouts on my new Skyray?
« on: July 21, 2014, 08:40:43 PM »
I have a new Skyray build getting close to the end now, and have a spare plastic adjustable leadout guide. I know most things about a Skyray work pretty well box stock, but thought since I plan to be seriously training with this one, maybe I should install it.

So my question is about the starting position. On the plans, the fixed leadouts show the front line right about at the spar, and the rear line is separated by a couple of inches. The guide will only have about half that separation. So should I adjust it so the front line is in the same place as on the plans, or should I set it so the center point between the lines is the same as on the plans? Or maybe the answer isn't that simple.
Thanks.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Adjustable leadouts on my new Skyray?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:45:21 PM »
I have a new Skyray build getting close to the end now, and have a spare plastic adjustable leadout guide. I know most things about a Skyray work pretty well box stock, but thought since I plan to be seriously training with this one, maybe I should install it.

So my question is about the starting position. On the plans, the fixed leadouts show the front line right about at the spar, and the rear line is separated by a couple of inches. The guide will only have about half that separation. So should I adjust it so the front line is in the same place as on the plans, or should I set it so the center point between the lines is the same as on the plans? Or maybe the answer isn't that simple.
Thanks.
Rusty

The separation should be less than the plans show, and the plans location is probably wrong. I will check it when I get home on Thursday and get back to you in this thread. Or you can go over to SSW and dig out the post where I described it in great detail.

Brett

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:37:22 PM »
Okay Brett thanks. I've copied and pasted a lot of your Skyray notes into a notepad file, maybe I missed it. I'll re-read those notes and take a look over at Stuka too. I've gone to great measures to jig this plane up and get the thrust line and the wing aligned straight and am hoping it's going to be my main training tool for the next few contests or until I outgrow it.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 09:56:08 PM »
Mine was passed along to a newbie, and I never saw it again. But I remember it yawed out like crazy, and made the engine burp for about the last 20+ laps. And it was kinda tailheavy.

All you need to do is some measuring on the plans and run one of the programs, Line 1, 2 or 3 and get yourself close. Adjust from there. Somewhere around 3/4" back from the CG should be a good start.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:32:20 AM »
    The separation should be less than the plans show, and the plans location is probably wrong. I will check it when I get home on Thursday and get back to you in this thread. Or you can go over to SSW and dig out the post where I described it in great detail.

Brett

Got it.
Here is is in case it might help someone else:

Quote from: Brett Buck's thread at Stuka
Not too many details! I suggest building right as it comes out of the box, with two exceptions - get some 2-wheel landing gear, and put the fin on with no rudder offset and no airfoil at all. For the landing gear, I have used both the landing gear SIG sells for the Phazer, and a Hallco fuselage-bottom R/C gear, cut in half, and re-bent to go up along the fuse sides. The rudder and fin offset should be self-explanatory, but measure it very carefully. Otherwise, build as shown, including Monokote on the wings, and minimal finish on the fuse.

Run the engine exactly as it comes out of the box, with the stock muffler, not modified in any way! This includes the stock needle/spraybar, stock .259 venturi, stock muffler baffle, stock muffler outlet hole, no changes at all. Use a 9-4 APC prop. Use either a 3 oz tank no more than 1.5" wide with uniflow open to the air, or a Sullivan 4 oz. clunk tank set up for suction, with muffler pressure into the vent, anbd with the wide side against the fuse. In the winter, or at sea level, or if you crash a lot, use a Bru-Line "fine" air filter. I use whatever 10% fuel I happen to have around - don't use all-castor. SIG, Powermaster, etc, it doesn't care much. More nitro is not necessary but it doesn't hurt.
The engine setting with the uniflow tank should be around 11,300 rpm+- a few hundred. With a suction clunk tank, you will have to experiment a bit. It needs to be *just barely* into a 2-stroke in level flight at the beginning of the flight. Too rich and it's just too slow at the beginning. Too lean and it sags off at the end. It's a pretty narrow range of acceptable.

Balance the airplane at 12-13% of the chord - about 1" - 1 1/8" from the leading edge. The centerline of my leadout guide is 2.25" from the LE. This is about right for a 34 oz airplane on .015x60ft lines at about 4.8 second laps. The position on my airplane is fixed - I just put it were Dr. Soule's "LineII" program said to. You can put in adjustable leadouts, but don't put the leadouts anywhere but where program says unless you really know what you are doing.
This will fly pretty good as long as you get it straight. Get the wings level with warps and tipweight, then go to it.

I also recommend that you use the plans to clone a second and third airplane. Make the wings out of balsa - 3/32" ribs, full at every station, with 1/2"x1/8 medium balsa spars set vertically at the high point. Everything else is fine as it is. What this does is save about 5-6 oz. Surprisingly, without other mods, it doesn't fly significantly better (plenty of power even at 36 oz), but it's much more durable. The stock wings tend to self-destruct due to excess weight. When the nose hits, the tips just keep going, and the structure just disintegrates, even on grass. The lighter wings will just flex and then return to shape with no damage. On pavement, it's broken in any case.

The stock airplane will end up about 35-36 oz. The balsa-wing version will be around 30. The tail length is just about right for the stock wing, but the lighter airplane would probably benefit from a shorter but larger tail. It's rate-limited - it has plenty of lift to turn tighter, but the maximum pitch rate is too limited. My first significant mod will be to shorten the tail about 1.5" and enlarge it to get the same tail volume. This is just an experiment that I haven't tried. It's plenty good enough as is - I got a 540-something with it in P-40 one time, only to be beaten by David F. flying it to a 547 with no appearance points. Story of my life!

Brett
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:49:01 AM »
One virtue of having adjustable anything is that you can move it out of adjustment and see what difference it makes.  Sort of a learning from planned mistakes thing.   S?P

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 12:32:21 PM »
I marked on the plan where Brett's center of guide, 2.25" from the lead edge would lie compared to the plan's location. The two pencil dots indicate the holes in the guide at the center of the adjustment range. The plastic guide is shown at about this location. That's a big move forward with the rear leadout exiting just aft of the plan's front leadout. I haven't fixed it in place yet. Maybe it means to measure 2.25" from the backside of the LE stick, otherwise it will mean hogging out the slot in the rib to just behind the LE stick.

You can see where I added a lite ply rib on the end after breaking the balsa one. I put one on the other end too to support the tip weights.

Here's the wing right before I glued it in place. I used the longest prop I could find to measure from it's tip to the spar on each side to align the wing with the thrust line. I rotated it and used the same tip to measure both sides.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Larry Wilks

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »
Rusty, I have been flying my Brett Buck Skyray for 3 years.  It has fixed leadouts.  Front leadout 1 7/8" from LE, aft leadout 2 7/8 from LE.
Here is the link I used to build the Skyray written by Brett.  http://aeromaniacs.com/Starting2.html
It flys great. No need to put adjustable leadouts in my experience. The measurements are from the front of the leading edge.
LA .25 no mods.  What engine are you using?

Larry Wilks
Philly Flyers

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 09:10:43 PM »
Larry! :D Great to hear from you man. I was afraid you might be mad at me and something was wrong(I will PM you about that). I tell Ken Cook to hay "hi" for me once in a while. He said you were doing fine.

Now about this leadout question. You sound like the calm voice of reason here, so I'll step back and re-read that Aeromaniacs page, I don't want to make this more complicated than it needs to be. I've been taking great pains to make sure it's as aerodynamically straight and true as possible. Aside from the Yak-9, this is my first full build of a 35 size plane, and the Yak was smaller and easy  simpler and was for sport, not CLPA. It is a fun zippy plane with a Fox Stunt 35.

I want this Ray(which is disguised as a Flite Streak, but all Skyray)to be my main trainer this summer and into October where I can fly profile Saturday and PAMPA Intermediate on Sunday. Wayne Robinson is still coaching me as I prepare for intermediate. I can fly the pattern most times now without aborting a maneuver, time to start working on shapes. Until I finish the new one I'm still flying the Ray Copland Buckerized Ray. It took 1st place in beginner in may, so I've graduated.

So, I'll copy the measurements you got from Brett's article at Aeromaniacs and get my wingtips finished so I can fly this thing in a week or so. My powerplant will be an FP25 and a Hayse clunk tank with a slanted front end. Just have to glue on the tail feathers, connect the pushrod, Monokote the wing and the rest of the minor details that take so much unexpected time.

Rusty

PS: Hope you can come to Huntersville, October 17, 18, and 19th. Maybe we an pit for each other.

Larry, I'm writing you a PM now, so please check on that.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:52:37 PM by RknRusty »
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 11:38:06 PM »
Rusty, I have been flying my Brett Buck Skyray for 3 years.  It has fixed leadouts.  Front leadout 1 7/8" from LE, aft leadout 2 7/8 from LE.
I measured mine and those are exactly where my lines are at the maximum forward adjustment of the guide. So I'll make a little more room to install the guide further forward so I'm not starting with the adjuster pegged. When I repaired the broken balsa end rib I shimmed a balsa spacer between the original stub of rib and the replacement ply rib, so I'm having to dig all that back out to make room for it.

Anyway, now I know where the lines are supposed to be. I had doubts when I saw how much different from the plans it is, but now I'll take the advice and run. I apologize for asking about what's already been answered on the forums before. And thanks Brett for all the mods.

Going flying tomorrow with Wayne and Bob Z, so later in the evening or Friday, I'll get it glued and secured.

Looking more like a Streak now? Only to the casual observer though. It's a Ray. Still got to make the Streak wingtips.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 11:44:52 PM »
Always use adjustable lead outs on a stunt plane or stunt trainer. Same with tip weight box and adjustable controls.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 12:42:23 AM »
Hey Rusty:

I know that the thing you least want to hear after you've glued in a part is a better way to align it, but -- I'm compelled.

I put my wings in to be square with the fuselage, not with the motor.  You can do this with a tape measure and some patience, and get a superlative job every time.  Here's how:

First, pick a reference point on the wing that's the same from side to side.  In your case, the corner of the outboard rib and the spar is probably a good place.  You want to define a point that you can always come back to, and have it be clear where it is both side to side and fore and aft.  If you're building a plane that has an asymmetrical wing, make a witness marks on the spar that are the same distance from the fuselage, and as close to the shorter wing's tip as you can.

Second, it's good to arrange the aircraft so that you can get the wings located to your satisfaction and then glue them on without disturbing anything.  I can't remember who taught me this (it was someone here), but a good way to do this is to file some half-round notches in the wing mounting hole, about 1/8" to 1/4" in diameter, and four or five each on top & bottom.  Make them just deep enough that you can inject some epoxy in there with a disposable glue bulb.  That's really all you need to hold a wing in on most planes, but if you make your fillets out of epoxy or wood that'll add a huge amount of strength.

Now put the wing in the plane, and measure it from side to side.  Get the wing jiggled into place so that the measurements are as close to equal as you can get them.

Now choose a spot at the tail end of the fuselage that's dead in the center (you want a straight fuse for this).  Measure from that spot to each of your witness marks.  If these two measurements are correct and if you didn't knock your wing out of center, then your wing is dead square to the fuselage.

While you're doing all of this, you should have your wing propped up on the building board so that it is level spanwise, and so that the fuselage sides are straight up and down.  If the wings are a bit tight in the wing hole and everything is square and centered -- lucky you!  If not, then sand, cut, pin, shim, tape, or whatever until you get it square and stable.  If it's binding a bit and you have to put a brick on it to get it square, take it apart and correct the bind.

Put it together and measure again.

Measure again (no, that's not a typo -- "measure twice, cut once" is for when you have a saw in your hand.  "Measure lots, glue once" is the companion aphorism).

Go away for a bit.  Come back.  Measure again.

Take a deep breath.  Mix up the slowest cure epoxy you have.  Put your can of lacquer thinner or 99% denatured alcohol on your bench, just in case.  Glue in the wing (I use those little squeeze bulbs, injecting glue into those notches I was babbling about.  You can also pull the wing out of the fuse a bit, slather on some epoxy, and then slide things into place -- but you have to disturb the wing-fuselage joint if you do it that way).

Now measure again, and again, and again.  If for some reason you can't get it straight then rip it apart right now!!! -- scrape off the glue before it hardens, take a rag or paper towel and that solvent that you left on your bench and wipe off the rest, then turn out the lights and stomp out of your shop until you stop shaking (and the glue that's left sets up).

If you didn't have to rip it apart, then measure it one last time, secure your work area from curious children and pets, and let the glue cure.  I always come back and measure once more after the glue is set, even though I know that it may lead to heartache.

I do more or less the same thing with horizontal stabilizers, except then the most important thing is to get it square and level with the wings -- if the wings are a bit cockeyed to the fuselage, at least get the stab straight to the wing.

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 12:47:58 AM »
Dennis, I will use them from now on.
Dennis I hope you and some of your Philly buddies can come down in October, I really enjoyed you guys. My son got a kick out of talking with you about your Pulse jets. He figures you may not remember him but it was one of his highlights. That was my families and my first time at an event like that. I've already been poking at Ken and Larry to come back.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 01:15:07 AM »
Tim that sounds like the technique I've used on my 1/2A planes when installing wings. For this one, I slid it back and forth getting the epoxy to slide in the root, a pretty snug fit. I used 60 minute epoxy. But this time I convinced myself that the wing and the propeller should be parallel so I tried this different approach. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I figured the spar was the straightest part of the airframe, so referenced the engine's thrust line and the stab's hinge line off of it. I still have a small gap to fill where the front top sheeting doesn't quite mate. I'll be adding epoxy/microballoon fillets around the root too. Lordy I hope it flies straight. I need to go polish my intermediate performance with this plane. I'll post a flight report as soon as I get it in the air. Next week I hope. Still flying the old Ray Copeland Ray tomorrow and it still flies well. but it's getting rickety.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 06:00:43 AM »
Huntersville is always great. Looking forward to it.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 06:35:26 AM »
Huntersville is always great. Looking forward to it.
Great. Actually that was Dan's jets, but anyway yeah looking forward to it.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 08:43:26 AM »
Of course it was Dan's Jets! Glad there wasn't another conversation that flitted off into the never never land of my deteriorating memory.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 01:51:35 PM »
Hahah yeah me too. I bet as busy as Dan's mind must be, he can't possibly cache all of it either.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 09:33:56 PM »
Well it's been a few days. Yesterday I had to put my 30th anniversary present together. How ya like that baby!

So today I put the Skyray on it. I'm at the last devil's in the details part of the build now now, so I added epoxy fillets to the wing and filled a small gap in the root with Microballoons. Wonderful stuff, makes anybody look like a pro. And the leadout guide has been hanging free until I got answers on where to secure it. It's secured as close to the Brett Buck position as I could get. I blocked it in in the front between where I had added a Lite Ply rib and the stub of an old broken soft balsa rib. I blocked it in with some overlapping balsa at the other end.

It's shown here centered at the Skyray plans position. The mark to the left is the Brett Buck center position. Somewhere in there will work. I'll try it first set up forward to Brett's position.

Next is to glue the Flite Streak shaped wingtips on. After that a shot of paint on the tail fin and canopy, Monokote and decals, Lustrekote clear on the nose, bolt on the LG, hook up the control horn and she's pretty close to maiden. I like how I make all that sound so quick. I don't do anything without spending an hour thinking about it first. I think I can maiden in a week, two at the most. The decorations are going to be tedious, silver Osprey feathers on the wing and a few beautifications like that.

Thanks everyone who helped and also thanks Brett for modifying this plane. I should have plenty of trim time between now and the next contest in October. I think I mentioned above, the power plant is an OS 25fp.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 08:54:34 AM »
Re:Tim

I use a similar tack and check method of aligning wings.  I find this is one time CA is perfect.  A couple drops of medium CA spaced around the wing root locks things tight quickly, but a moment with the razor knife parts everything cleanly, if necessary.

Rusty, I like that you signed your airframe.

Phil

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 09:34:36 AM »
Hi Phil, yeah I always sign and date my airframes like that. Maybe some far future historians might find it useful. LL~

And that reminds me.
Thanks Tim for the wing mounting tips. Some of it is much like what I already do. Some I will refer to next time.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 11:31:55 AM »
That workmate will help in gluing the wing and tail surfaces together on future projects.   The fuse sits in the opening while the wing and/or tail surfaces are lined up and glued.   Happy 30th,  The wife and I celebrated our 46th on the way to Brodaks. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 02:09:43 PM »
John, that's what I had in mind for it too. I was eagerly waiting for it to arrive when I finally gave up and did the wing and stab anyway. For something that seems easy, that stab was really tricky to get perfectly aligned. Windy helped with his unbelievable talent for thinking up the simplest ways to do things.

46th, congratulations to you and your wife!
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 08:51:40 AM »
Rusty,

I use a Workmate like yours for all kinds of things that are impossible to do on a work table.  I find it very handy when I need to stand the plane on a wing tip for one reason or another.  The wing will slide down in the slit and the tail will hang out over the end.  You can pad/shim everything to get the plane stabilized and secure.  So much easier than using a trash can which makes it difficult to stabilize the plane.  I also use it for a paint stand.  See attached photo.

Paul 

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 10:14:51 AM »
Rusty,

I use a Workmate like yours for all kinds of things that are impossible to do on a work table.  I find it very handy when I need to stand the plane on a wing tip for one reason or another.  The wing will slide down in the slit and the tail will hang out over the end.  You can pad/shim everything to get the plane stabilized and secure.  So much easier than using a trash can which makes it difficult to stabilize the plane.  I also use it for a paint stand.  See attached photo.

Paul 
Hey Paul, yep, I already figured that out. Just lined the edges with towels and stood it nose down between the planks. It made it a lot easier last night to align the fixed flaps while gluing. That's a chore that sounds simple, but is really a pain in the ass if you don't want to have to add a trim tab on your stunter. I too am a recovering trash can user. I used an old kitchen can with thick T-shirt slipped over it and enlarged the neck hole for the wing. And a brick in the bottom to keep it from tipping over. Lol. Now I'm sophisticated.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 12:58:45 PM »
John, that's what I had in mind for it too. I was eagerly waiting for it to arrive when I finally gave up and did the wing and stab anyway. For something that seems easy, that stab was really tricky to get perfectly aligned. Windy helped with his unbelievable talent for thinking up the simplest ways to do things.

That's odd -- I've never had problems getting things blocked up on a workbench to level the stab.  I just need a flat bench and a bunch of equal-sized blocks, or enough pins to hold the stab steady and a good level, and I'm golden.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 01:54:51 PM »
That's odd -- I've never had problems getting things blocked up on a workbench to level the stab.  I just need a flat bench and a bunch of equal-sized blocks, or enough pins to hold the stab steady and a good level, and I'm golden.
Tim, yeah, that's what it took for me too, I'm just retarded, and meticulous to a fault. Keep in mind, I've never built a 35 size plane before and I've never had perfect CLPA in my sights. I'm an old 1/2A hack from way back and am only now learning how to get a plane built for aerobatic performance with no bad habits. Actually I did build a Sterling Yak-9 last Winter but it was simple and I didn't have my sights on turning it into a contest competitor, just a fun flyer. The trim tab on the outboard wing betrays that truth. I'm on the uphill side of the learning curve. Next time will no doubt move along much more quickly as I will already have my routines figured out. That's my defense and I'm sticking to it.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 02:22:06 PM »
looking great, rusty!! excellent choice for a first pattern ship. i had a sig twister and then a banshee. Sig planes are good stuff

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 09:51:33 PM »
I need some advice, please.
I'm making the wingtips and need some help with the inboard one which has to be clear of any interference with the leadouts no matter where they are adjusted. The first pic is the outboard tip installed. Easy.

Now for the inboard. The two dots represent the position of the adjusting screw at each end of possible adjustment. The two angled lines mark the most extreme sweep I can imagine either line making during flight. If I remove all of the balsa in between those lines and laminate a piece of ply top and bottom along the outer edge that allows the lines to pass between them, is this the right way, or best way to assemble it?
Thanks.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2014, 10:35:44 PM »
I did a 3 layer sandwich of 1/8 inch balsa.  The center layer is mostly air for clearance, and running along the spar, while the top and bottom are running front to back and have a large notch removed so as to clear the adjuster.  A little sanding to shape and it should look minimally different to the outboard tip.
Phil

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 12:14:43 AM »
Phil that sounds like a method I'll consider. It might even be stronger and easier to shape than my idea. Thanks. Keep 'em coming. Over at CEF, Cribbs suggested a 3/8" sheet carved with a hollow slot. I'd have to go buy a 3/8" sheet if I chose that idea,
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2014, 01:22:49 AM »
i know this is not exactly the same as what you're dealing with, but close. and, like Ron Cribbs said, it's 3/8" . i added a piece of 1/16" to each side, but it's for an unrelated purpose.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2014, 02:16:52 AM »
Yeah I see what you're getting at. I'll pick through my balsa today and see if I can come up with some better ways to do this. Looks like it'll be tonight before I can get out to the shop. My day has already been planned for me,. ::)
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2014, 08:13:31 AM »
Some years ago there was a thread detailing how to make wing tips for adjustable lead outs on Stuka Stunt.   Even one for making an adjustable lead out.  I have them printed out and go to them when I am working  on a new wing tip.   Don't know if it is still there or not as I don't get on there much any more.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2014, 10:48:55 AM »
I looked around over there but was on my phone,which is like looking at the internet through a keyhole. I'll try again later. Thanks for the reminder. I also think I have a pretty good idea too. I'll show y'all what I come up with.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2014, 07:27:15 PM »
Okay here's what I did.
First I cut the wingtip shape from 1/8" balsa as you saw in post #28 above. Then I cut two more from some fairly hard 3/32 balsa. I laminated one of them with Titebond to the 1/8" piece and cut away where the lines will pass through.

After cutting away the slot I used thin CA to harden all of the internal surfaces of the slot. I made sure I sanded a radius on any edges the lines can contact.

Here's where the lines enter

Here's where the lines exit

I think that will work out fine.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »
oh yeah! very nice!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here