News:

• April 26, 2024, 05:16:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: flap control horns  (Read 1701 times)

Offline bill rutherford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
flap control horns
« on: July 20, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »
I/8 vs 3/32 control horn wire.
     The last few years I have been using 1/8 control horn wire for the flaps. The only trouble is when you have to twek the flaps it is really hard . For years we all used 3/32 wire and had no problems , even with big flaps like the mustang and bearcat. If the wire is short how much difference could it make? Whatcha think???
    Bill Rutherford

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: flap control horns
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 08:10:32 PM »
I think many comments will follow.

I do fine with 3/32" wire, but I think my next plane is going to have a Paul Walker style flap tweak mechanism built in, in which case I'll probably go to 1/8" wire for the rigidity.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 03:38:19 PM »
Somebody needs to figure out how to make CF control horns for flaps and elevators as commonly used in stunters. Howard's CF tube spar flaps might be the first step toward that? Another trick piece to look at is the Yatsenko's 2 pc. stabilizer joiner system. 

Until then, short 3/32 wire horns work, at least if the flaps are not too large, or fuselage/fillets too wide.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline bill rutherford

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 05:13:12 PM »
yea that's about what I have been thinking. Keep em short and the3/32 should be just fine. Bill

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 05:17:29 PM »
yea that's about what I have been thinking. Keep em short and the3/32 should be just fine. Bill

Sorry but I vehemently disagree with this statement for large stunters. 
3/32 horns on the flaps will flex and cause loss of tracking in corners and even bouncing out of hard corners in windy conditions.  Just ask RJ about this!!!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 04:11:16 PM »
I asked PW, although now he uses two fancy "Igor" flap horns and drives them from the rear. The use of two horns of course means you don't need bigger wire, since they simply must be shorter in the spanwise axis.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 12:55:20 PM »
See Derek Moran's writeup.  He gives the McMaster-Carr part number for the requisite wire.  I tried ordering it twice and got bent pieces both times, so I'm interested in an alternate source.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 07:40:50 PM »
A famous multiple Nats winner has been quoted that there is no such thing as a flap that is too stiff.  The same applies to flap horns.  3/32" dia wire for a full size stunter flaps will allow more flex than needs to be acceptable.  If the flaps need to be "tweeked", there are ways to do so.

Keith

Offline bill rutherford

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 09:12:20 PM »
Thanks guys. I think I will stick with the 1/8 horns but will try to get some of the wire Howard was talking about.   Bill

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here