News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:55:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Control Line FPV  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Chris_Rud

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Control Line FPV
« on: July 19, 2014, 10:12:01 PM »
As a kid growing up I always wondered what it looked like from my plane's point of view. Well the technology is now here so I built a little camera sled on the Typhoon I flew a few weeks later at the Nats. Just a little note... I cut out a few laps at the beginning cause I was testing to see if the camera would fly off but it was ok.  ;D Camera really messed with the vertical CG... ENJOY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_gE7Kk-HeM&feature=youtu.be

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:45:30 PM by Chris_Rud »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Control Line FPV
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 10:40:04 PM »
Wow, that was cool! Except for the nausea, of course. Now I feel kinda sorry for my Eagle... :'(  Very cool first post!

Does the FAA know you are flying there?  ;)

If I remember right, the secret is to use the regular url symbol (blue globe) and not mess with the UTube icon.

Well, that didn't work at all. Maybe Shug will tip us off to the sekrit?

You did good in the NATS in (edited) Expert, IIRC? Way to GO! H^^ Steve
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:29:38 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris_Rud

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 10:59:51 PM »
Thanks! Not sure about the FAA but our club has permission to fly there.

It was great to be back flying after 8 years! Great to see everyone.

(Expert not Advanced... Don Ogren won that)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 11:16:33 PM »
That was mighty fine. Loved the landing shadow at the end. Low passes too.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 11:19:43 PM »
Wow, that was cool! Except for the nausea, of course. Now I feel kinda sorry for my Eagle... :'(  Very cool first post!

Does the FAA know you are flying there?  ;)

If I remember right, the secret is to use the regular url symbol (blue globe) and not mess with the UTube icon.
Well, that didn't work at all. Maybe Shug will tip us off to the sekrit?

You did good in the NATS in (edited) Expert, IIRC? Way to GO! H^^ Steve
Yes....you have to grab the "Share" link on YouTube and then use the Blue World and paste it between the urls

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 11:23:50 PM »
So, Shug...which icon works for posting a YouTube video? Seemed to me like something was wrong with the html code when I tried it.

Chris...we fly on the South Ramp at Auburn Municipal (aka Dick Scobee Memorial)...no control tower...but we're still nervous, even with permission, rent, and an agreement. The FAA seems a bit uh...aloof...like a lot of our goobermint agencies these days.  H^^ Steve

Edit: Ah...that worked, tho I don't understand why. Seems like the address oughta be the address, but apparently it is not. Makes sense, huh? Thanks, Shug!

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Larry Fruits

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 11:37:05 PM »
Neat video Chris. Thanks for sharing.

Congrats on your Nat's win.

Larry

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 06:51:58 AM »
Chris,
Great video! You could scare the P*** out of a mouse in the airplane. One thing it shows is that a model being flown using only FPV is not safely under control of the pilot. With a monocular view out the front it is very difficult to know what the airplane is doing. I don't believe that even a pilot with your considerable skill could fly the pattern if all you had for reference was the pull on the handle and the FPV.
Congratulations on your NATS win. Keep up the good work.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 07:29:01 AM »
Great video and just like the video the Tulsa Gluedobbers had a few years ago, I'm glad there are arms on this chair so I didn't wind up on the floor.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 08:46:34 AM »
Chris,
I was very impressed with your flying at the NATS.  You've got a great coach too.  Keep up the good work, you and other youngsters are the future of stunt.
Frank

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 09:32:16 AM »
I'd say more POV than FPV. Since there were no goggles or looking into a monitor involved. I prefer POV.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Chris_Rud

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
I'd say more POV than FPV. Since there were no goggles or looking into a monitor involved. I prefer POV.

Shug I think you are right. I will change the title in youtube.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 11:09:51 AM »
Hi Chris, was great meeting you at the Nats and very exciting judging some of you flights. This is very timely and now that the Nats are over I can share some of what I saw. Your Vid confirms some things I saw there. This is in no way meant to minimize your performance there but really to help you get better, and suggest this is a great tool to help other, like ME! During your test and official flights one thing I noted immediately was that your level flight is low, very low, this is confirmed watching the video. I thought maybe it was the camera's position, but the landing sequence confirmed the camera was level. As to other portions, I did not see pronounced variations, however in the vid, in the square loops it can be seen that the airplane was quite a bit higher than 45 degrees and the is the vertical 8s well past the top of the circle. Those were not evident in your officials. I think this could be a great tool and I may invest. Gauging elevation angles is very difficult, but with a video that is correctly aligned horizontally, it becomes very clear and you could actually put a protractor on the screen and measure it.

Again, a great pleasure to meet you and judge some amazing flying, and lunch at the Chocolate Moose was great too!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Chris_Rud

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
Hi Chris, was great meeting you at the Nats and very exciting judging some of you flights. This is very timely and now that the Nats are over I can share some of what I saw. Your Vid confirms some things I saw there. This is in no way meant to minimize your performance there but really to help you get better, and suggest this is a great tool to help other, like ME! During your test and official flights one thing I noted immediately was that your level flight is low, very low, this is confirmed watching the video. I thought maybe it was the camera's position, but the landing sequence confirmed the camera was level. As to other portions, I did not see pronounced variations, however in the vid, in the square loops it can be seen that the airplane was quite a bit higher than 45 degrees and the is the vertical 8s well past the top of the circle. Those were not evident in your officials. I think this could be a great tool and I may invest. Gauging elevation angles is very difficult, but with a video that is correctly aligned horizontally, it becomes very clear and you could actually put a protractor on the screen and measure it.

Again, a great pleasure to meet you and judge some amazing flying, and lunch at the Chocolate Moose was great too!

Hi Randy,

It was a week of fantastic flying and I was glad to share it with old and new friends. I had another judge mention the low level flight as well so it won't be happening next year :) In regard to this video and the theory of using a camera to work on your angles/self coaching... It would be difficult to use this since the camera ways about 3 ounces and you need to place it on top of the fuse (mine was three inches higher then the top of the wing) causing the camera's to pull the top of the plane out of the circle a lot. I could see the bottom tip of the outboard wing. I added extra weight on the gear to try and counter it with that it was flyable but I was just barely to get through the pattern. Since this was messed up I made everything very big and rotated the camera in editing to make it seem a little more level.

Now I have thought of a way to use mirrors to make the camera not mess up the CG and building it in just above the wing. Similar to an SLR but that would require building a plane for that purpose. Not sure the extra weight and time is worth it :) I don't really have time or money to do it but if someone does go for it!

It was great to meet you this week!
-Chris

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 10:38:30 PM »
Still the best thing for improving your pattern is having a coach that knows what to look for and how to correct.   Then getting through to you what he/she thinks.   Don't forget lots of flying try to put to use what you've been told.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 10:02:18 AM »
Hey Chris, sorry I had to leave the nats before getting to see you again!  It seems like eternity since our week of harrassing you at the nats before!  Congrats on your expert win, give me an email so we can catch up!
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 10:54:02 AM »
Great video and just like the video the Tulsa Gluedobbers had a few years ago, I'm glad there are arms on this chair so I didn't wind up on the floor.   

Yep, real easy to to do now. When we did it we had to use a video camera feeding an RF transmitter and record the video on a VCR connected to the receiver. Way before SD cards, Go-Pro and even YouTube.

Offline Joe Gilbert

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 04:39:21 PM »
Chris it was great meeting you I enjoyed it very much , wow flying with a Lear Jett on ramp very cool.

Joe Gilbert
Joe Gilbert

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 05:58:57 PM »
You sure have grown a bunch in the last 10 years. I am not quite sure when I fist met you at SIG but  you were very young.
AMA 12366

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 07:05:34 PM »
Neat video Chris! 

You flew very well at our contest and and it is really cool to have seen a nats winner early in the year. 

Hope you come back next year.

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »
Still the best thing for improving your pattern is having a coach that knows what to look for and how to correct.   Then getting through to you what he/she thinks.   Don't forget lots of flying try to put to use what you've been told.

No doubt about that John, but for "self help" the camera could be a great tool.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Chris_Rud

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 02:35:52 PM »

No doubt about that John, but for "self help" the camera could be a great tool.

I hope you give it a try! Take pics if you use the mirror idea.
-Chris

Advertise Here

Advertise Here