News:

• April 23, 2024, 10:02:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mufflers for McCoy  (Read 1328 times)

Online Carl Cisneros

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Mufflers for McCoy
« on: July 19, 2014, 09:08:04 PM »
does any one make a muffler for the McCoy 35?
also the Fox 36X motor as well.

thanks

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:33:38 PM by Carl Cisneros »
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
Re: Mufflers for McCoy
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 12:51:38 PM »
Hello Carl,
Unfortunately the metallurgy of the McCoy is suspect, the extra heat build up due to the muffler will not do it any good.

Andrew
BMFA Number 64862

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 01:30:25 PM »
McCoy did make a flow-through muffler. Definitely fits the older McCoys and probably the red head stunts. Didn't offer much noise reduction, and probably not much heat retention.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 04:50:59 PM »
Back in the day Tatone Peace Pipes were popular. One OTS flier still here still uses them on his McCoys with good results. Available on E-Bay or someone here may have one that they can spare.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:14:58 AM »
I have run the Tatone Peace Pipe on the RH 35... a stock one makes the engine run hot about mid-flight and the engine begins to sag. I trimmed the end (opened it up) and Dremeled the insides ... I did this to a OS Jetstream muffler too... the engine runs a lot better but still will run hot if you run it on the lean side. The Jetsteam ran great on an OS35s .. IMO, the tongue mufflers work just fine.. another muffler I customized for the Fox 35 was the OS 702, the front where it mounts to the exhaust needs to be ground flat, then I make a gasket with thick gasket paper and Pematex it to the muffler. This prevents it from sliding around and the sound is wonderful and no overheating... the trick is to experiment. Definitely make the holes point down, last year, I started flying again after a long lay off... and I mounted my tongue muffler with the hole up (brain fart) ... my hand was being burn while adjusting the needle and had oil all over it...what a mess..

JJ

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:38:49 AM »
I agree with the position that the McCoy is a low price low quality product.  If you have one that runs at all you are lucky.  A lot of McCoy buyers were not so lucky.  If it runs, leave it wide open and enjoy it while you can.

I the past I have tried to muffle engines that were made to run wide open with limited success.  Better to use an engine that was engineered for a muffler.
Paul Smith

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 10:56:02 AM »
I agree with the low price low quality comment. But they are a surprisingly good DESIGN from the period. I have done a rebuild on more than one RH35 using decent materials (effectively a new engine but using a rebushed case). The resultant engines were very good indeed. Shows what they could have been like!
Before anyone berates me for wasting my time on such "junk". I enjoy doing offbeat things, and it was just an interesting experiment that worked well.

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Online Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 07:00:30 PM »
The 35 Red Head I have is an excellent motor.
After choking cold, and flipping a few times to get the fuel up in to the jug,
all I do is hook up the glo-start flip it backwards and she is off and running.

The only thing I did was replace the phillips head screws for allen head screws.

running a 10-5 on 10% with about 25% 80-20 mix oil.
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here