News:

• April 25, 2024, 01:51:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tongue mufflers with straps? Anyone making them?  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Tongue mufflers with straps? Anyone making them?
« on: July 16, 2014, 01:17:11 PM »
Anyone making tongue mufflers with straps?

I'm thinking for a McCoy .35 at the moment.

Something of good quality.

Thanks in advance.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline John Craig

• Commander
Re: Tongue mufflers with straps? Anyone making them?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 02:04:27 PM »
Some where there is a very nice post, how to, & photos about making your own  tongue mufflers for red & greenheads.  If I remember 1/16 & 1/32 aluminum sheet, pop rivets, & a 1/16 wire instead of a strap.  Claimed that the were light, functioned well, & stayed on in flight.  Looked good, wonderful craftsmanship.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,11930.0.html

Here it is:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,7960.msg67901.html#msg67901

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 03:32:34 PM »
John,

Well done, something for me to digest.

I really don't feel like making my own.

Possibly more photos will get posted or someone who has one will give it up.

Scott's e-mail doesn't work.

Thanks for that reply.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 03:58:03 PM »
Scott Reise is the man,, he is extremely knowledgable abotu Mcoys,, and makes mufflers you need to get ahold of him
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 05:12:46 PM »
Scott Reise is the man,, he is extremely knowledgable abotu Mcoys,, and makes mufflers you need to get ahold of him

Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

I believe I purchased a tongue muffler for my Fox .35 from Scott Reise. He may have made the one for an OA LA .46 also.

He makes aluminum look like chrome.

I checked out the link and saw Randy's muffler and viewed the photos of the stages of his work.

Well, I thought I'd give it a try.

Couple of tools, not too many, and a piece of .060 sign stock, 5.95 worth actually, got me this.

Took a few tries as you can see from the removed stock.

It will sit in limbo until I work out a purchase for a more professional one. If not, I'll be forced to finish it.

Mark, thanks again for the reply.

Charles

Offline Bob Matiska

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 03:44:06 PM »
If you're on facebook, check out the Alberta Controlline Flying Club. Two members there have come up with similar solutions, one using metal strips and the other using a hose clamp cut in half to mount tongue mufflers. I tried to grab a pic and post it here but it didn't "take". Both members are on here, btw, but may not have seen your post. Hopefully they will and will share their knowledge...

Bob in NEPA
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:23:30 PM by Bob Matiska »
AMA 56267

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 02:23:56 PM »
Simple cut, drill and bolt solution.
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 03:10:12 PM »
Simple cut, drill and bolt solution.

Gordon,

Thanks for the reply.

My point is to eliminate the strap. I have a muffler with a strap that I could use.

While I got you,

This photo, do the holes go on the top side or the bottom?

Charles

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 03:42:19 PM »
"This photo, do the holes go on the top side or the bottom?"

That depends on whether the engine is mounted upright, inverted, or side, and if side, which direction. Drill the holes so that they keep the most oil off the airplane and also consider your pit guy. Usually, outboard or downward works the best.  H^^ Steve 

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »
Gordon,

Thanks for the reply.

My point is to eliminate the strap. I have a muffler with a strap that I could use.

how do you plan on retaining it on the motor
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 04:29:02 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

There's another Thread on the subject of tongue mufflers that are home made.

Here's the link.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,7960.0.html

Randy Ryan has it nailed, great photos and all.

He uses a spring clip which works quite well. I'm told, don't remember where I read this, that some guys drill and tap the center exhaust bar on their McCoys.

I'm looking into that.

Thanks again for the reply.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 05:05:39 PM »
"This photo, do the holes go on the top side or the bottom?"

That depends on whether the engine is mounted upright, inverted, or side, and if side, which direction. Drill the holes so that they keep the most oil off the airplane and also consider your pit guy. Usually, outboard or downward works the best.  H^^ Steve 

Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I noticed Randy has his motor side mounted with the holes on the visible side.

Mine is as the photo, upright. I was also thinking of having no holes, just remove that end cap and place a block as a restrictor and a backing for one long bolt. Drill and thread the exhaust bar on the McCoy.

Thre's another Thread.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,7960.0.html

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 09:12:24 AM »
I have run the Tatone Peace Pipe on the RH 35... a stock one makes the engine run hot about mid-flight and the engine begins to sag. I trimmed the end (opened it up) and Dremeled the insides ... I did this to a OS Jetstream muffler too... the engine runs a lot better but still will run hot if you run it on the lean side. The Jetsteam ran great on an OS35s .. IMO, the tongue mufflers work just fine.. another muffler I customized for the Fox 35 was the OS 702, the front where it mounts to the exhaust needs to be ground flat, then I make a gasket with thick gasket paper and Pematex it to the muffler. This prevents it from sliding around and the sound is wonderful and no overheating... the trick is to experiment. Definitely make the holes point down, last year, I started flying again after a long lay off... and I mounted my tongue muffler with the hole up (brain fart) ... my hand was being burn while adjusting the needle and had oil all over it...what a mess..

JJ

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »
how do you plan on retaining it on the motor

Here's strap attached, bolts a bit too long right now. If you search you can find thinner/lighter clamps.
This one is still under an ounce.
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here