News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:09:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS 52 four stroke CL conversion.  (Read 4977 times)

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
OS 52 four stroke CL conversion.
« on: July 13, 2014, 11:06:08 PM »
i installed an ultra hobbies conversion kit on one of my OS 52's. this engine is going in my ringmaster 800.
the conversion kit is cool. comes with .245, .255 and .265 venturi's, new intake and NVA. haven't run it yet with this setup, but will be done with the plane relatively soon.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: OS 52 four stroke CL conversion.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 03:22:48 PM »
i finally got to fly the plane this was intended for its the ringmaster 800+p from pat Johnston. the plane is 800 squares at 55oz.
 on 70' lines this thing is a monster!! i ran a 12x5 cuz it's kinda high revving. i ran a 4oz tank with powermaster 20/20.

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 09:02:58 AM »
Dane: Glad to hear about your success with the OS 52. This is probably
my all time favorite motor. I competed at the Nats for several years with
a Saturn/OS 52 combo. Great combo!

You are correct about the revs. The OS is a little higher revving than an
equivalent Saito. My prop of choice has been a Brian Eather 13 x 4.5
3 blade cut down to 11.75" and then repitched progressively from 4.5
to 6 at the tips.

If you consider getting another one of these motors in the future and have
any trouble finding one check out the Magnum 52 4S. Practically a carbon
copy and readily available. I bought one at the Toledo RC Show last year from
the distributor, Hobby People for $99 brand new. Great deal!

Later, Steve

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 11:08:25 AM »
cool!! thanks Steve! great to hear from you. i do have another os52fs i need another conversion set for. i had it in my triplane, but because of the weight, I'm probably gonna stick a 46LA in that. too much tail weight needed. the 52 will go in another stunt ship.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 02:17:32 AM »
cool!! thanks Steve! great to hear from you. i do have another os52fs i need another conversion set for.

I can also attest, as an objective observer, that Steve's 52 ran absolutely great on the occasions I saw it run. Getting that sort of smooth and reliable power (along with a lot of practice, too!) seemed to jump him forward pretty rapidly a few years back.

Brett

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 01:21:53 PM »
thanks Brett! i believe you completely on the engine run deal. this set up is great. always one flip starts and no retuning. i start it, and just walk out to the handle. as an intermediate pilot, its wonderful. all i have to do is focus on my pattern. i hope to fly with you guys one day!

i cant remember if i mentioned.... but I'm running a 12x5 prop. everything has been so great, i was afraid to experiment with a 13" prop! should i try it? or just focus on the pattern for now?

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 01:21:31 AM »
thanks Brett! i believe you completely on the engine run deal. this set up is great. always one flip starts and no retuning. i start it, and just walk out to the handle. as an intermediate pilot, its wonderful. all i have to do is focus on my pattern. i hope to fly with you guys one day!

i cant remember if i mentioned.... but I'm running a 12x5 prop. everything has been so great, i was afraid to experiment with a 13" prop! should i try it? or just focus on the pattern for now?

That sounds about right, but it's been a while since 4-strokes were a big thing. 12-5 sounds about right. You can try 13" and see what happens.

Bear in mind, I was merely commenting that Steve's worked pretty well, not about any in-depth personal knowledge of 4-strokes.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here