News:

• April 25, 2024, 03:07:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gratitude and appreciation for great tutorials  (Read 703 times)

Offline Steve Thornton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Gratitude and appreciation for great tutorials
« on: July 09, 2014, 12:45:09 PM »
I am in the Dallas area which is a "Garden of Eden" for builders and flyers with folks like Don Hutchinson, David Ek, Al Rabe, Tom Neibuhr, Bill Bischoff, Tom Farmer, and Bill Wilson, and these guys are always ready to help me with techniques or "how to's."  The problem is that most of them are 50-60 miles from where I live, and for the last year work, "minor" hand surgeries, and kids and grand kids from out of town, leave little or no time to fly or build.  I do however, have the internet and telephone!  Stunt Hangar, videos, and magazines are a priceless source of learning and help to satisfy my addiction to this great hobby!  Sparky, Shug, and Bob Hunt have been a real blessing to me for their tutorials, instruction, articles, and phone conversations.

Sparky's videos on YouTube have ILLUSTRATED things as basic as sanding, covering, and fitting. I can actually watch a craftsman demonstrate in real time, the basic elements that are essential to building light, straight, strong, and beautiful airplanes.   

Bob's June and July articles in the AMA magazine have taught me a real technique for flying a track through the air and he gave me a half hour of his time on the phone to talk about carbon veil, motorcycles, guitars, and life. I could name MANY others of you but the list would be too lengthy and part of this post is to encourage those of you whom may have considered making a video, writing an article, or posting a build, to please do so. At this point in my learning curve/life my real gift is that of reflecting the challenges of being a student and gratitude for good teachers.

Shug's video is a great reference for my sons-in-law and grandson's entry into this hobby.  I cannot be in Colorado, Florida, or Michigan to teach them but they can watch Shug teach them about the things they need, what they look like, and how to use them.

You guys are the energy that will keep CL alive for the future.

Thank you Gentlemen and keep up the great work,

Steve Thornton

"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Gratitude and appreciation for great tutorials
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 02:10:52 PM »
Diddo
I had to fix a spot on my wing. About the same time Sparky put the how to on spot painting. Did it just like he did and good as new.

Now I have a bigger spot to fix. Found the video of Windy U fixing a broken wing. Pull it up on YouTube and we are both sanding primer.

Don't forget- Windy he started sharing video when it was all VHS. And most of the information is still valid.  y1
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »
I hope to do many more videos. I just don't want to bore too many with my style.
AMA 12366

steven yampolsky

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 02:44:43 PM »
I hope to do many more videos. I just don't want to bore too many with my style.

You and Shug should hook up for some relief comedy!

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 04:18:54 PM »
You and Shug should hook up for some relief comedy!

I had no idea they were suppose to be comical.
AMA 12366

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 11:11:43 PM »
As a new-boy (or older gentleman) on this forum I am honored to be included. Sparky's building videos are very complete and he shows the whole magilla. This Winter when I build I will be watching them with a new eye. Bob Hunt's column inspired me.
And Windy's VHS videos are long but engrossing to watch. Like your there with him. I have gotten sucked into his vortex many a late night. Good that they are on YouTube.
Myself....I am just trying to show the joy and journey and mistakes and success's of a new/old beginner and how after 20 years you can return and have a big ol' time. And trying to figure out how to film control line and make it entertaining to watch for folks unfamiliar with our hobby. And hopefully worth watching for those that are well established in control line flying. Bring the verve, vim and elan))))
The benefit of watching ones own practice is very helpful to see mistakes and good things too. Fun to hear the plane as well.

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here