News:

• April 16, 2024, 03:43:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Repost For beginners NATS. A little help is needed  (Read 575 times)

Offline Andrew Saunders

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • 2013 Nats
Repost For beginners NATS. A little help is needed
« on: July 05, 2014, 07:31:56 PM »

My name is Michael Stinson. As we have sadly lost Allen Brickhaus, I will be the Event Director for the 2014 NATS Beginner Stunt Contest. We will try to continue to do things the way Allen always did. I am hoping to have many of the same volunteers and be able to give away a fair number of prizes.

The Control Line Precision Aerobatics Beginner event will be flown this year on Sunday, July 13th on the grass circles located northeast of the “L” pad. You must register with the AMA at their Headquarters building and then proceed to the most northeast grass circle to sign up for the Beginner venue. You may practice, starting at 7 am. Sign up time at the circle will begin at 7:30 am with a pilot’s meeting at 8:30 am. Flying will begin as soon as we can. This event has been advertised as having a six minute flying time from the hand signal to the judges to the last movement of the landing roll-out.

The event will be split between the Open flyers and the Junior/Senior flyers. We will have two “The Eagle’s Nest” perpetual trophies available. One is for the Open winner and the second for the Junior/Senior pilot. Framed Certificates will be awarded for each placement within the competition. Donated prizes will be displayed and the winners will be able to choose which he or she desires.

We allow the Junior/Senior winner to choose first, and then the top Open pilot takes his or her choice. We go down the list and attempt to have the entrants go through the line at least twice to choose a prize. The Beginner event has been flown each year at the NATS since 1991 with the exception of 1995. The Peoria Area Wyreflyers initiated the program and we have had help from a wide variety of mid-west control line clubs to continue the competition as it is being run to this date.

If anyone has any items in their closet or shop that would help a Beginner move up to Intermediate, please may donate them to the event by contacting:

Michael Stinson
11042 Symington Cir
Louisville, KY 40241
502-386-4446
dc8driver@hotmail.com

Please contact me to volunteer, donate items or for information. Mike Stinson

The following notes were from Allen Brickhaus. They were intended to help first time flyers enjoy the contest.

Fill out your full name, address and AMA number on the registration form here at the Beginner site.
PLEASE PRINT SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY ON THE REGISTRATION

You must have AMA $10 registration tag from AMA headquarters and the $10 event fee.

Your AMA/MAAC number must be on your model in at least 1 inch tall letters.
A safety thong must be attached to your handle and used during your flights. It will be Pull Tested with the lines.

Weigh In and Pull tests must be accomplished.
Make sure that there is NO fuel in your model before the weigh in. For electric powered models, the battery must be installed, but cannot be connected for the weigh in.

All pilots MUST stand by their model during the start procedure. The same applies for electric powered models. Electric powered models must be held until it is ready to be launched. The model cannot sit unattended waiting for the timer to start.

There is a 6 minute time limit.
Pattern Points: 25 Pattern Points will be awarded to each flight completing all the required maneuvers, flown in order, within the 6 minute time limit.
Adult help will be allowed but the score is then divided by two for each maneuver and pattern points are lost.
Doing a Wingover for maneuvers you cannot do will give you 10 points, but you will not receive Pattern Points.

Your flight is “official” when you do the Wingover. You may attempt an “up and down”
or other maneuver, but the Wingover makes the flight official.

NOT ALL PILOTS CAN DO THE ENTIRE PATTERN,
ATTEMPT TO GAIN AS MANY POINTS AS YOU CAN DURING THE FLIGHT(S).

Each flight will be critiqued by our helpers, not associated with judges.
This critique is to help you improve.

You are allowed three attempts for two official flights, highest single score wins, ties are
are broken by your other official flight score.

Rules for a “foul” as per AMA rules:
If after the airplane is launched, ANY item or part falls off,
the flight is official, and the score is ZERO.
Be sure to check that all wheel collars, trim tabs,
canopies, etc. are secure before each flight.

The flight order will be by a blind draw. Know when you will fly AND who you will be following.

WE WILL TAKE GROUP PICTURES AT THE CONCLUSION OF THE CONTEST SO BE AVAILABLE FOR THOSE SHOTS

ALL PRIZES ARE DONATED! ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS FOR BEGINNERS AT THE NATS ARE THE THANK YOU CARDS/LETTERS YOU SEND TO PRIZE DONORS AFTER THE NATS.

Harry West “The Eagle’s Nest” trophies sponsored by the Bob Howard Family

Remember to keep hydrated by drinking plenty of water and “Gatorade” type drinks.

If you are able to donate items, volunteer or just need information, please contact me. Thanks, Michael Stinson

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Repost For beginners NATS. A little help is needed
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 06:40:38 AM »
How are electric powered models going to be handled in the pits?
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
Doc,I think they will be handled fine.The point of ths post is DONATIONS for the Beginners.Without them this hobby WILL CONTINUE to die a slow death.I went thru the Beginner program at the Nats. and after winning in 2011 my mission has been to resupply the program for the stuff I won.Let's face it 99 percent of the people on this forum have kits they will never build and engines that will never be used that will certainly help a beginner become an intermediate flier.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Andrew Saunders

• Commander
  • 2013 Nats
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 04:22:56 PM »
Thank you Jeff. We are also looking for handles, lines, possibly fuel, and anything control line related.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here