News:

• April 26, 2024, 10:28:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Attention! Buder Park Fliers  (Read 1421 times)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Attention! Buder Park Fliers
« on: July 04, 2014, 03:19:10 PM »
   I went by Buder Park this morning for a few flights, and discovered that they cut down our main shade tree. It was in pretty bad shape, with a big split right down the middle of the trunk all the way to the ground. There was a very real danger of it falling down on someone's car or worst case righ on some one!
   They have cleared away all the limbs and brush, but there is a large pile of stumps and short logs stioll there. I brought home one as a souvenir and remembrance. That tree has been there as long as I can remember. I was a main gathering place for us when fun flying, and many a pilots meeting has been held under it. We used to hide behind it when certain people were flying Perky models of suspect structural integrity! I guess we'll have to resort to trusty old Easy-Ups for shade now for contests and long flying sessions. Thousands and thousands of patterns have been bench flown and real patterns watched from there. I think it is the end of an era! H^^
   If any of you other guys think you might like a log for some sort of keep sake, I would head down there this weekend before they come back for the rest of it!
   HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Larry Fruits

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Attention! Buder Park Fliers
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 03:47:31 PM »
Hi Dan,
 Yep, that sure was a big tree and nice to get under for some shade on those "warm and sunny" days. I liked to park my truck under it for the late afternoon shade. It wasn't as warm when getting into it for the trip home. It won't be the same.

I felt kind of the same way when the tower was removed after flooding of the park. Someone used to get up there and announce stunt flights with a P.A. system years and years ago. It's been gone for a long time. Do you remember it?

The park sure looks different after 46 plus years of flying there. Times change.

Happy Fourth;
    Larry

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
Is that the tree that made the winds so interesting on the square pad?

James
AMA 491167

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 05:31:39 PM »
Is that the tree that made the winds so interesting on the square pad?

James

One of many...

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 08:04:02 PM »
Yeah that tree was in bad shape, we noticed the crack back in Feb and it recently got worse, it was starting to become a safety issue

http://lafayetteesquadrillecl.wordpress.com/lafayette-esquadrille-cl/control-line-buder-park-st-louis/

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 10:05:09 PM »
 You guys should grab a section, carve up a nice club sign out of it, and hang it on or in the pavilion. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 09:09:07 AM »
I guess I don't get down there enough as they keep changing things.   I see there is still a couple of trees along the fence line.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 11:59:14 AM »
You guys should grab a section, carve up a nice club sign out of it, and hang it on or in the pavilion. y1

^like

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 05:37:07 AM »
Too bad they cut it down, I have a huge Redoak tree at one of my flying fields,,,it's over 100yrs. old....it split right down the middle, but I rescued it by wrapping a log chain just below the crown and hooked in itself tightly. The tree is still there and the chain is mostly grown into the tree. Beautiful tree, and still very healthy!
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 06:23:37 AM »
There is nothing like a large shade tree for cooling. It can be 15 to 20 deg. cooler under a tree because of evaporation of the tree. Artificial shade can never equal a tree.
Jim Kraft

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here