News:

• April 24, 2024, 09:12:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AMA is overreaching!  (Read 5653 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: AMA is overreaching!
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2014, 03:25:55 PM »
Like TV, computors and some other stuff, they can be used for good.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2014, 07:47:54 PM »
I'm a little confused:

FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012
Subtitle B—Unmanned Aircraft Systems

SEC. 331. DEFINITIONS
(8) UNMANNED AIRCRAFT.—The term ‘‘unmanned aircraft’’ means an aircraft that is operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft.

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT
(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere (2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and (3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

Taken literally, this looks like is a control line aircraft is a manned aircraft, not a model aircraft.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2014, 10:49:29 PM »
No, as you're not 'within or on the aircraft'. I.e. sitting in it, or ON it.

I can only think of one or two aircraft you sit ON to fly, but hey the rules are the rules.

Also that also defines any model aircraft that is flown out of line of sight as an unmanned aircraft.

If you're doing FPV, and you don't have a spotter who can see the model, you're an unregistered UAV/UAS pilot.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2014, 01:24:09 AM »
I'm a little confused:

FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012
Subtitle B—Unmanned Aircraft Systems

SEC. 331. DEFINITIONS
(8) UNMANNED AIRCRAFT.—The term ‘‘unmanned aircraft’’ means an aircraft that is operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft.

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT
(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere (2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and (3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

Taken literally, this looks like is a control line aircraft is a manned aircraft, not a model aircraft.

The FAA does not consider it an aircraft at all, since it is always connected to the ground.

Brett

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2014, 08:11:32 AM »

People are starting to get in trouble with this drones by flying them everywhere without thinking the consequences. The manufacturers should include warnings about where to operate this things. Here is a link to an article in the news that I found:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/11/drones-arrests_n_5575371.html

Juan

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2014, 06:02:49 PM »
Why is it up to the manufacturers to stop stupid people doing stupid things?

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2014, 07:29:50 PM »
I suppose because stupid people buy their products and when stupid people do stupid things, the manufacturers are often sued.  So, to protect themselves, they better figure out how to keep stupid people from doing stupid things with their products.

Remember that the difference between stupid and dumb is the ethical/moral deficit.  Dumb people may just be "slow" or have a low IQ.  Stupid people have a lack of morals or ethical understanding.  I suppose that a dumb person could actually be considered "wise", but never so a stupid person.

Scott

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2014, 12:05:22 PM »
Too many people with absolutely no common sense.   Just look at who is sitting in the houses of justice.  maybe the following pic will answer it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
Too many people with absolutely no common sense.   Just look at who is sitting in the houses of justice.  maybe the following pic will answer it.

Thanks much for that posting, Mr. Holiday.  Great one!
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2014, 08:05:35 AM »
I suppose because stupid people buy their products and when stupid people do stupid things, the manufacturers are often sued.  So, to protect themselves, they better figure out how to keep stupid people from doing stupid things with their products.

Remember that the difference between stupid and dumb is the ethical/moral deficit.  Dumb people may just be "slow" or have a low IQ.  Stupid people have a lack of morals or ethical understanding.  I suppose that a dumb person could actually be considered "wise", but never so a stupid person.

Scott

Good post, Mr. Richlen:
There are numerous conflicts in some other sources. There are many folks (AMA) that are really upset about the fact that the FAA is wanting RCers to alert the area  Air Traffic Control (ATC) folks when the RCers are flying within 5 miles of an airport. As a 41 year veteran of military and airline flying, I think the ATC has every right to be informed, so I am not popular there as a candidate for AMA Executive Vice President. 
While a toy-like quadcopter around the back-yard is family-fun, sending a big drone out where it cannot be seen by the pilot, well that is a whole 'nother ballgame. I have witnessed the sending of a drone into clouds and waiting for them to return, said area being in a place where  airliners are turning IFR  into a final approach at around 5-6000 ft. MSL.  Scary!
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2014, 08:02:56 PM »
I really don't like the idea of the government getting involved in model airplane flying, but we seem to have a lot of people these days that don't understand the difference between having the freedom to do something, and the responsibility to not exercise that freedom because it may cause harm to others.  We seem to have a substantial number of people who apparently don't like to be told "no", but need to be told "no". It is a shame that the situation has been created that allows the government wider authority in our model airplane world, but it indicates how some have not exercised self-restraint and damaged the rights of all of the rest of us.  I want minimalist government, but if I am the passenger in that jetliner on approach....

Scott

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2014, 04:30:50 AM »
deleted[too political,even for me]
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

George Hostler

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2014, 06:40:37 AM »
I think there are already enough laws on the books, that simply need enforcement. A few of these violators get their chops busted, and the rest fall in line. Instead, I have seen a trend over the past 40 years, of punishing the innocent as a way of creating enforcement.

I stop, after all, this is a recreational model aircraft forum and come here to relax and enjoy the hobby. I know this is an important topic that others wish to make aware, I appreciate the opinions of others. Yet life is so short that I've decided to pick and choose my battles, and this is not one of them, IYKWIM.  ~>

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here