News:

• April 24, 2024, 02:08:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AMA number  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Sean McEntee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
AMA number
« on: June 29, 2014, 08:56:39 AM »
    In an earlier thread, Samantha Hines mentioned that she took John Da'ttavio AMA number. Sitting here and thinking about it, that's a really cool way to pay tribute to some of those great modelers who have gone before us. I've even given thought to looking into doing the same thing at my next renewal.

The problem?  I've had my AMA number for over 25 years. In fact I've had those numbers as long as I have known about numbers!  Having some mixed feelings about changing it.

So this question is geared towards the guys who have had theirs for awhile as well. Would you change it or is are you sentimentally attached to your own numbers. Forget for a moment the hassle of refinishing ALL of your models to update the numbers.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: AMA number
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:58:04 AM »
I'm kind of Mr. Inertia when it comes to things like that.  I've had the same number since I was a teen in the 70's, so I'm not interested in changing.

I think I'd have to be pretty bone-deep impressed with someone before I wanted to change my AMA number in their honor, and if there was someone that cool, then chances are if I snagged their number then I'd just be doing someone else out of the opportunity.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Joe Just

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 10:09:14 AM »
I have a 4 digit number and will never change. In fact, when I pass on I'm taking it with me!
Joe

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »
After a lay-off in from modeling in the late 90's I returned and joined an RC club in Nashville. When I called AMA to join, out of curiosity I asked about my fathers AMA #. He had passed away in 1986. The lady on the phone told me he was # 48913 and asked if I would like the number for myself.  Of course I said yes. I can think of no better way to honor my dad and thank him for instilling a love of aviation in me. Plus it really cheezes off my older brother that I beat him to it. LOL Mike
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 10:17:22 AM »
I have a 4 digit number and will never change. In fact, when I pass on I'm taking it with me!
Joe

I'm with you Joe!

I'm taking my four digit number with me also. Where are you getting berried?  n~

Guys find ways to get lower numbers. There are ways. Then they can say they were in the hobby longer!  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »
Joe

Not that you will know or care but after you are gone and you are unable to pay your dues, your number will become available again. Someone else could get it if they wanted.

When I became a contest director I was given the option to change my number to 4 digits. I chose to keep it the same.

Derek

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 10:23:55 AM »
My elder grandson has my dad's AMA number upon my request.  Dad was gone before Dylan was born but I think it's a neat way to carry on the family tradition.  He uses his great grandpa's tool box with the number on it.  Makes me think back!  When the time comes maybe my  number will pass down the family if anyone is still at the hobby then.
They won't lack for airplanes with the number already on.
Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 10:38:25 AM »
Not that you will know or care but after you are gone and you are unable to pay your dues, your number will become available again. Someone else could get it if they wanted.

When I became a contest director I was given the option to change my number to 4 digits. I chose to keep it the same.

Derek

I feel the same as Derek , my AMA number and his are  close, we joined and started competing together in the  late 80 's..  I chose to keep the same 6 digit number  after becoming a CD,

Giving your ama number to a new modeler is a great way to pass the torch

Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 10:39:31 AM »
They won't lack for airplanes with the number already on.

Yes, but they won't be able to figure out why the battery has been replaced by an empty metal can, or where to hook up the wires from the ESC.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 10:44:15 AM »
When I got my CD license I asked and received my late Dad's 4 digit. My son was able to turn in his 6 digit for my old 5. You can also get an all alpha number, like your last name. Also, I've seen guys that get there CD license, just drop off the last digit of their old number (if available).

Norm, AMA 9408

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 10:48:14 AM »
Yes, but they won't be able to figure out why the battery has been replaced by an empty metal can, or where to hook up the wires from the ESC.
Tim with something like 120 engines on the shelf I doubt they'll worry about that much. 

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 10:58:06 AM »
   I'm keeping mine at 28784. I just don't like it when people see it and say, "Man, you must be old with a 5 digit number!" I do know some with 4 digits who were not CD's.

Hey Chuck! What is your 4 digit AMA number? It's never been on the airplanes in any of the old photos or even on your Flite Streak? In order to be in compliance of AMA the Safety Code for even a membership in a club it needs to displayed on the model.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 11:07:35 AM »
The number was a Christmas present  from John two years ago. He had a hard time doing this because he was not dead. you can leave your number in your will if you want. She also got the number 2 JD falcon and a handle that matched. A funny story is the card came in the mail, I opened it and it did not have Sam's right number on it so I thru in the trash. John called about a weak later and ask how Sam like her present, I had to go out side and dig it out of the trash. She got her plane at Brodak.

Steve

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 12:44:41 PM »
Being that John D'Ottavio, yes that's the correct spelling, is my second father I would rather see some one with his original number while he still alive, which was 95280. There was a brief period when AMA offered smaller numbers. John got 280 because it was part of his original number.

I have had my small number (7544) since 1957, so I have no reason to change it.
AMA 7544

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 01:23:05 PM »
From my observations, few of our C/L stunt group care much for the AMA, or whatever it stands for.  Am AMA number is just a number, nothing more.  We are required to have one and to display it on our plane for contest legality.

Prior to 1973, my number was 11293, which was issued sometime around 1949.  The AMA changed it in 1973 without any coaxing from me.  It simply arrived in the mail.

A number is just a number, so I didn't think it was worth the effort to question the AMA for changing mine.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 03:06:41 PM »
I have had 22547 since 1957. I had a lower number 2 year years earlier, however I couldn't afford to renew the license the following year and then I simply took the number that they gave me the year after. After all I was a junior at the time. My friend of 35 years has a lower number then I, in fact it is within 2 numbers of my old one. But, he got it in 1979 when he first joined the AMA. Numbers are what you make of them. I've never cared to pursue my original number it really meant nothing to me then or now.

Dennis

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 03:15:31 PM »
i got my licence in 1953, became a leader member in my teens and got a three dig number ,.quit flying in the 70's and started back at it in the 80's ,they had no record of my three dig number so had to go with a 5 dig number, when they came out with the personalized numbers i took Rad and my Son took Rad JR  we have had a lot of fun with it .the first year we showed up at the nats their computers went set up for Letter's only numbers so they had to give us some crazy numbers so they could process us i still get asked where my number is on my planes  and need to show my licence to prove it.
rad racer

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 04:00:04 PM »
I have a five-digit number dating back to 1961.

When I was ordained a Contest Director in 1975 I was offered a lower number, three or four digits. but I declined in favor of my original number.  Now an original (not bought) 21,000-series number is something of a status symbol.  I obtained it from the old Fifteenth Avenue rental office in Washington DC.
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 05:24:13 PM »
Iv'e had my number so long if I changed it I would not know who I am.
Jim Kraft

Offline Guy B Jr

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 10:46:10 PM »
When I first joined in the early 50's, they gave me 14266. I couldn't afford the dues during college and the early years of marriage. Finally, in 1969, I was planning to go to a contest in Albany, GA and contacted HQ to rejoin. I asked for my old number, but it was in use. The lady offered to give me someting similar, 14272, and I said OK. Just 6 digits off isn't bad. I have pictures of my planes with the orig. number. In fact, I have part of a wing and fuse of one of the planes in the pictures. Still have my original sandcast 4 bolt Fox 35 also.
Guy Blankinship

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 05:40:17 AM »
AMA used to pretty quick on the trigger to reissue numbers if you dropped out for a couple years.  Later on they seemed to have conceded that they need 6 digits and when I got my daughter a number in the late 80's it was in the 408,000 range.  Obviously a lot of people flow through AMA with short term memberships.
Paul Smith

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 05:50:23 AM »
I think it's great that John D'Ottavio's three digit number is being awarded to Samantha....
John is a LIFE member of the AMA and has served all modelers well.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 08:32:23 AM »
After meeting Samantha and her Dad at Brodaks, I think she will serve that number well.   I've had my number since my first contest.  When I got my CD rating I was also asked if I wanted a 4 digit number.  Needless to say I declined and have never let my AMA license lapse in all those years, even when I wasn't flying. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 09:12:31 AM »
" The seasons end and then begin again." Harry Chapin

This is a good thing... - Bob Hunt

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 09:24:26 AM »
I got 2825 when I was 13 so I could fly at the 1957 Willow Grove Nats.  I'll just keep it.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 09:45:52 AM »
As best I can recall, I got a 4 digit AMA number in mid 1950-s.   Went into the service and dropped AMA.  Re-upped in the 1980-s and got  something like 6 digits.  I think 600K ... I have that AMA card somewhere in a flight box.  Renewed after 25 years and now the number is over a million. 
Joe Daly

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 12:19:33 PM »
Bill M.; That young picture of you shows that you were completely lost to this hobby from the very beginning. It happened to a lot of us. Just grabbed us and never let go. Thanks for posting it as many of us see our self in those eyes. Something no one can explain.
Jim Kraft

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 12:44:46 PM »
Keepin mine altho it's actually my 4th AMA number, the first being 38339 followed by 80699 then 85000 shortened to 8500 with my CD qualification. I've had this for a long time now, longer than any of the others but I can't claim any fame, just sentimental value besides being very easy. My SAM number on the other hand is original and was issued in '67 when we formally created SAM. I was 36th in line and my dad was 37th. Oddly, my ad's AMA # is 8754 so by a quirk of fate both my numbers are lower than his.

Dad is 92 now and going blind, he maintains all his memberships. Maybe, just maybe I would consider taking his AMA number in memoriam when the time comes, BUT I'm in no rush.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 01:17:26 PM »
My eldest son, Jeremiah gave his AMA number to his brother, my youngest, Michael. He just called the AMA, they said fine.
Chris...

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 01:35:01 PM »
I received AMA number 15058 in the '50s (don't remember when).  After playing Air Force and Army from 1962, I finally found people with whom to fly in 1977.  Asked for my old number back and was given 15083.  Have not been able to get my old number back so have stayed with the new one for 37 years.  Became a life member so will keep this number until I die.  I may not be able to fly but will have the number.

Bob
Bob from NWO:  If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
AMA 15083

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »
Will I have my AMA membership number since 1962 as a Senior it is 8424 H^^
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »
I understand the implications of seniority but is a number really that important?
Joe Daly

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2014, 04:15:25 PM »
NOOP! I think it's just history. and a little Cats  ???  Z@@ZZZ
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 04:47:10 PM »
I understand the implications of seniority but is a number really that important?

Well a number with fewer digits takes up less space. Think about shortening mine on my next renewal from 213325 to maybe 2135, depending on what's available.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here