News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:31:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Perky and Clown at The Brodak next year  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Perky and Clown at The Brodak next year
« on: June 24, 2014, 08:18:45 AM »
This year was the inagural event of an actual speed event at The Brodak Fly In.  In the past there was only a postal opportunity with a speed limit and a closet-to-average prize.

The advent of actual speed competition brought out seven Perkys and five Clowns which is more than several established events.  As an initial showing, I only requested three awards: Perky, Clown, and the traditional closest-to-average.

I am planning to request the following for 2015:

Perky Speed with first, second, and third place.
Clown Speed under a seperate etnry with first, second, and third place.
A single closest-to-average prize covering both events.

Fuel

I am interested in suggestions vis a vis Perky fuel for 2015.  This year I used regular Brodak clown fuel for the whole combined event.  In 2015 Clowns will continue to use Clown fuel.
I am open to allowing Perky Speed flyers to run what you brung.  This would open the door to diesels and maybe allow the glows to go a little faster.
What is the opinion of plane owners who expect to enter the 2015 Brodak Fly In?

Paul Smith

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
Re: Perky and Clown at The Brodak next year
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 11:54:06 AM »
Paul First let me say thanks for your time  running  perky speed  ,i would like to see a little more time spent checking line size and length.

first as to the diesels . after flying F2C for the last 15 years i can say that most flyers use the same amount of oil, either and kerosene, and amle, the other additives are to get mileage out of a 7 cc tank with an unlimited tank as i have in my rat racer none of it is necessary, finding the right kerosene for your engine is the secret.so you would probly not be looking at any special fuels

as to the glo's, almost everyone is now used to running 10% nitro and at $50 or more for a gallon of nitro ,that would be just one more thing to worry about,  the seriose flyers would come up with the high nitro and leave the flyers u are trying to atract ferther behind  not to mention shorter plug life. just my thoughts, i am open to any questions Rad Racer
rad racer

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 12:49:45 PM »
Admittedly, this were as bit loose in my operation.  The Brodak is basically a gentleman's event.  In future I will gauge line length for Perky.  52'-6" no less!
Paul Smith

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 02:30:53 PM »
all it would take is two marks on the circle
rad racer

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 07:36:19 PM »
I would support the continued use of 10% fuel for the glow motors. Once you tip the can it's a bit like Pandora's box and would totally remove the 'fun' theme that JB has tried hard to achieve. I and, I'm sure, many others have boxes full of broken cranks, rods, pistons. All of them are from the 'nitro days'. None since 10%.  Does any one think a separate class for diesels is a good idea?

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 07:46:09 PM »
i dont think u would get enough diesels to make it worth while to run a separate class.

as much as i would like to run a diesel just to see what it would do, probly the best thing to do is keep the rules as they are now ,they are fair for everyone

rad racer

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 09:15:34 PM »
Good.

Maybe I'll get some 10-10-10 instead of the 10-11-11 Brodak uses for Clown.  I heard some complaint or theory that we were holding back the engines by over-lubing them.  I think methanol is less expensive than oil.
Paul Smith

Offline Bud Morrison

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 07:04:59 AM »
I am going to try to get 2 perkys done for next year.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 01:40:57 PM »
as long as we are all running the same fuel ,it is still equal for everyone,  they would run a little cleaner with 10/10
rad racer

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 03:53:31 PM »
Paul, Did someone really tell you an extra 2% oil was doing anything because I'm lol right now.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 03:23:13 PM »
Paul,

we run a big speed contest here in St Louis in May and had 14 Perky's show up with speeds from 108.65 mph to 56.24 mph. We provide the fuel for folks to use at the entire contest but this also applies to the Perky's.

Here are the results from our May 2014 contest

http://lafayetteesquadrillecl.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/midwest-speed-contest-2014-results.pdf

I put together a page on our St Louis club website dedicated to the Perky, the CAD plans are too small, so they need to be looked at but I have tried to summarize the Perky event. We have the rules posted on the web site (NASS rules) and there are some pictures.

http://lafayetteesquadrillecl.wordpress.com/lafayette-esquadrille-cl/cl-models/perky-speed/

We have several guys who show but have the model proxy flown, which I think is important. The Perky is one of the best events we have here in St Louis in fact we run Perky's a total of 3 times during the year (Feb, May and Sept). we allow the diesels and measure the line length but overall it is kept as a fun event.

Thanks
Fred
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:01:08 AM by Fred Cronenwett »
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 09:22:46 PM »
Since I merged Perky & Clown this year I just provided the usual Brodak Clown fuel for everybody.  Next year I'm going for two seperate events with sepersate entry fees and three awards each. Plus the traditional closed-to-average prize. 

I will provide Brodak Clown fuel for the Clowns and 10-10-10 Perky fuel for the Perky's. 
I hope to see 110 MPH when we get rid of the excess oil.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here