News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:01:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mike Olson was my mentor.  (Read 7500 times)

Offline Greg McCoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
Mike Olson was my mentor.
« on: June 22, 2014, 04:32:55 PM »
http://www.modelaviation.com/node/829#sthash.cuKdJZS7.ozaKrRyY.gbpl

I read this with tears in my eyes. The first time I met Mike Olson was about 1963, we rode our bikes to the FM Skylarks contest. I climbed a tree at the Fargo field, Mike saw me up there and said, "kid get get out of that tree, you'll fall on my airplanes". The planes that I was over, were his matched set of Chipmunks, with the Troll pilots.

Our family vacation of 1966 we went from Fargo to California, dad's budget for a three week vacation was $800. On this trip we went to Knots Berry Farm. There my Dad bought me a felt "hillbilly hat". I would wear this hat when dropping in on the model field. Wearing the hat, on my Schwinn, leaning against a tree, (probably the same one I climbed a few yew years previously). Seymore Olson called me, and asked "what's your name?", "Greg McCoy". With the name "McCoy"and wearing that hat, I was tagged with "Zeke McCoy"

As the article says, Mike taught a summer school class for model planes, I was in that class. My first plane was a Baby Flightstreak. The first week of class was building, and the second week was flying. He taught us how to build, and to cover. The Flightstreak was painted clear dope with powdered pigment, that Mike said we could get at a paint store. As a kid asking for paint tint, it was a free sample, Mike knew what he was doing.

After getting established in modeling and attending the summer school class for a few years I was able to assist with the younger kids.

Mike sacrificed a few model and engines to teach that class. A kid planted a Johnson .35 into the asphalt, Mike handled it with grace.

A word of advice he told us, "never trust anyone else to hook up your lines".

I lived about a mile from the Skylarks field. On summer nights I would hear the Dynajets. I would tell Mom, "I'm going flying". So I would tuck the Ringmaster under my arm, the Sig pit-box on the handlebars of my Schwinn, ride to the field for a great summer night.

I remember Mike as being systematic, after all he was a science teacher. The first time I saw a barometer was in his field kit. He kept notes. Some fuels he needed to keep on ice.

His girls, they had a handle in their hand before they could walk.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 05:04:23 PM by De Hill »
AMA 77370

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Mike Olson was my mentor.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 09:39:29 AM »
Hi Greg; My involvement and association with Mike and his family also dates back to the early 60s. I flew several speed events back then when Jet speed was relatively popular. The entire Olson family was certainly dedicated to the hobby and Mike and his brother Jack were fierce competitors in several events. Mike's parents were exceptionally friendly to out of town guests and I visited their home on many occasions. I remember the wall of trophies in their living room. They sure were proud of their sons. Mike will be missed by all who knew him.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 09:52:28 PM »
Just learned that Dick Williams passed away recently.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 10:24:55 PM »
I was really saddened to hear Mike had passed away; he was to me the kind of guy you wish you could have at least had a "final chat" with, or said "goodbye".

You guys are kids; Mike and I "formally" met flying combat against each other at a contest in 1959.  Mike's mother Pat insisted we'd flown against each other in earlier contests, but I really didn't remember Mike at the time (or many others I'd flown against for that matter).  1959 was the first time we had a real conversation, and Pat and Seymour introduced themselves.

You're right; both Mike and Jack were very competitive.  My first Fargo contest was in 1964; Mike had given up combat (at least for several years) at the time, but I ended up flying against Jack for 1st place in Sr.-Open Combat several times in succeeding years.

So - to illustrate what great people the Olsons were - Pat absolutely insisted I bring my family up one year and stay in their home rather than a motel.  We did, and she sent us on our way to the field each morning with a terrific breakfast.  Great memories!

When Mike got into Jet Speed - eventually winning the Nats and setting a new record - I was blending fuels commercially and working in chemical research.  Mike asked me for some advice on fuel ingredients and air/fuel mixtures, and we corresponded by phone and mail for a couple of years on that.

I hadn't flown combat in a contest for at least a half-dozen years when I decided to try (what was then)"Slow Combat" in 1987.  Wouldn't you know it; Mike and I met in the 2nd round, and none of the competitive spirit was diminished.  He was the kind of guy who called out every ounce of your competitive spirit in competition, but the kind of guy you had to have respect for.

A straight-shooter who told you exactly where he stood, with dignity and respect.  Our modeling world is a bit poorer without him.

Clear skies, Mike!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here